This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

balance shaft belt delete

ive seen this a few times up here and i couldnt get the just of it. how is it i can safely delete this? what is the gain for doing it and how do i go about doing it?

sorry to all those up here who've been here for a while and know what it does and think this is a newb question. all im asking is for info. not for people telling me to search. ive searched and didnt find the answer i was looking for.

bump. anyone?

Comment

http://www.hondasociety.com/board/sh...d.php?t=118537

Comment

i left mine off... didnt think much of it beforehand, just something i decided to leave off while i was assembling the timing belt. oil pressure is perfectly fine but i notice a small harmonic vibration that kinda comes and goes in waves, that i never had before. its weird... definitely walks bolts out of their holes tho, so make sure you tighten things down from now on... ive lost a couple minor bolts on the highway, and just found one of my front caliper slider pin bolts walking out

- 1993 Accord LX - White sedan (sold)
        - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (wrecked)
        - 1991 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
        - 1990 Accord EX - Grey sedan (sold)
        - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
        - 1992 Accord EX - White coupe (sold)
        - 1993 Accord EX - Grey coupe (stolen)
        - 1993 Accord SE - Gold coupe (sold)
        Current cars:
        - 2005 Subaru Legacy GT Wagon - Daily driver
        - 2004 Chevrolet Express AWD - Camper conversion

Comment

thanx man. ive been thinking about doing this but i wonder about the rear gear thats there. its ran by the belt and when i took it off it looks like it has some type of blade there. is there a reason for that part?

Comment

can anyone else offer info?

Comment

i took mine off when i had my h23 it shook little but nothin major, but i ended up puting them back on when i changed timing belts. honda put things on for a reason so i trust they no what there doing. i say keep it on specially if its a daily driver.

Comment

Its not really necessary the gains are so mininal, maybe 1hp that its not really meaningful.

Proud owner of the only JJDM full 2.5" catback exhaust!

Comment

Originally posted by cp[mike]
                  i left mine off... didnt think much of it beforehand, just something i decided to leave off while i was assembling the timing belt. oil pressure is perfectly fine but i notice a small harmonic vibration that kinda comes and goes in waves, that i never had before. its weird... definitely walks bolts out of their holes tho, so make sure you tighten things down from now on... ive lost a couple minor bolts on the highway, and just found one of my front caliper slider pin bolts walking out

someone on hondasociety.com said that it runs the water pump. did you have any cooling issues after you left the belt off?

Comment

Originally posted by Shadow1
                    someone on hondasociety.com said that it runs the water pump. did you have any cooling issues after you left the belt off?
                    that belt has absolutely nothing to do with anything nearly related to the cooling system or oil pump the ONLY thing it is connected to are the balance shafts.

- 1993 Accord LX - White sedan (sold)
                    - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (wrecked)
                    - 1991 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
                    - 1990 Accord EX - Grey sedan (sold)
                    - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
                    - 1992 Accord EX - White coupe (sold)
                    - 1993 Accord EX - Grey coupe (stolen)
                    - 1993 Accord SE - Gold coupe (sold)
                    Current cars:
                    - 2005 Subaru Legacy GT Wagon - Daily driver
                    - 2004 Chevrolet Express AWD - Camper conversion

Comment

Removing belt frees up the top end, engine revs smoother. That's from experience. So much misinformation here and on those threads posted. When all else fails, look at your own car/parts or diagrams in the manual and figure it out yourself how your own vehicle works! Also, consider that on our Accords the balance shaft front seal is the first seal to go, considering the RPMS are twice that of the crankshaft. Eliminating the belt, eliminates this seal from walking out and causing dramatic oil loss if you don't have the retainer in place. In addition, most people never replace the rear balance shaft O-ring and that is a popular leaker as well.

As far as I see it, it is a win-win scenario, especially if you already have an aftermarket camshaft installed. I can not tell you if at idle it vibrates more than usual or not. Both my cars have aftermarket camshafts, therefore I did not care about extra idle vibration as I already have some.
                      Last edited by HondaFan81; 10-22-2007, 06:47 PM.
                      HondaFan81 For Sale Parts (LOW PRICES ON EVERYTHING)

Comment

Originally posted by HondaFan81
                        Removing belt frees up the top end, engine revs smoother. That's from experience. So much misinformation here and on those threads posted. When all else fails, look at your own car/parts or diagrams in the manual and figure it out yourself how your own vehicle works! Also, consider that on our Accords the balance shaft front seal is the first seal to go, considering the RPMS are twice that of the crankshaft. Eliminating the belt, eliminates this seal from walking out and causing dramatic oil loss if you don't have the retainer in place. In addition, most people never replace the rear balance shaft O-ring and that is a popular leaker as well.

As far as I see it, it is a win-win scenario, especially if you already have an aftermarket camshaft installed. I can not tell you if at idle it vibrates more than usual or not. Both my cars have aftermarket camshafts, therefore I did not care about extra idle vibration as I already have some.

once again, HondaFan81 to the rescue. lol. thanx man. and you too [cp]mike. and all the others who helped clarify this for me. i didnt want to do something that will end up in catastraphic failure in my only motor. lol.

Comment

Haha dont expect that eliminating the balance shafts will help you with record breaking track times. They only weight about 5 lbs and when properly lubricated spin easily with the flick of a finger, so its not like these are real power robbers or anything.

Not saying you shouldn't do it, I can see reasons why, but it won't noticeably affect your cars power.

Proud owner of the only JJDM full 2.5" catback exhaust!

Comment

yea, id only suggest it for track use or "off-road" use only.
                            I <3 G60.

0.5mm Oversized Stainless valves and bronze guides available. Pm me please.

Comment

I was at Honda a few weeks ago buying JUST a timing belt.

The parts MANAGER asked me why I didn't want the balance shaft belt. I told him I didn't need it.

"Doesn't that run your oil pump?"

Good thing he's not a mechanic.

But as Cisco said, it frees up your top end. Not exactly equivalent of a lightened flywheel, but similar. The top end just revs so damn free.

I def. felt a difference in the way my top end accelerated after I took the belt off.

I didn't notice any extra vibrations that I didn't already have.
                              Last edited by d112crzy; 10-23-2007, 12:42 AM.

CrzyTuning now offering port services

Comment

Working...
                              X