Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Code 43: changed o2 sensor, light still on, Now What?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Code 43: changed o2 sensor, light still on, Now What?

hi,

my engine light came on while i was driving home after a holiday, it was about 150km around about in distance, dunno what that is in miles :P... anyway i checked the code and it came up with code 43, i then looked on here and people have said to change the o2 sensor, so i did...

i got the car back drove it around a bit and the light came on again, checked the code and it came up with the same one, code 43...

other things that have happened with the car since the code coming on is it idles funny... when i stop at lights and am just sitting there the rpm will drop very low almost stalling but never does, and that only happens when the car is warm/heated up...

i don't know what i should do, any ideas?

sorry for the long post, i just thought the more would help..

thanks

Trini

EDIT: i've since changed the fuel filter and the light still comes on, what could be the problem? i'm still getting code 43...
    Last edited by Trini; 03-27-2008, 09:03 PM. Reason: Update:

Originally posted by Trini
    hi,

my engine light came on while i was driving home after a holiday, it was about 150km around about in distance, dunno what that is in miles :P... anyway i checked the code and it came up with code 43, i then looked on here and people have said to change the o2 sensor, so i did...

i got the car back drove it around a bit and the light came on again, checked the code and it came up with the same one, code 43...

other things that have happened with the car since the code coming on is it idles funny... when i stop at lights and am just sitting there the rpm will drop very low almost stalling but never does, and that only happens when the car is warm/heated up...

i don't know what i should do, any ideas?

sorry for the long post, i just thought the more would help..

thanks

Trini
    43 can also mean there is a problem with your fuel supply system, which might be a leak somewhere, a clogged injector, low fuel pressure, etc. You can try changing your fuel filter, which (if it becomes clogged) can inhibit fuel flow and cause low fuel pressure. If you have access to a fuel pressure gauge, you can attach it to the fuel rail to check your pressure before you buy a filter. They are pretty cheap, though, and can restore some lost performance that went away gradually.

Long posts are always good when you are describing a problem. The more info, the better.

How many miles are on your car? Does it accelerate well? Do you have off idle performance problems (hesitation, bogging, etc)?
    1992 Prelude S w/swapped H22A

Comment

Originally posted by benji

How many miles are on your car? Does it accelerate well? Do you have off idle performance problems (hesitation, bogging, etc)?

my cars got heaps, it's got like 350 xxxkm... dunno what that is in miles,
      it accelerates fine and i don't have any bogging or anything, just idles low when i stop and stuff, i'll look into what you said about fuel filter and stuff,

thanks for your help

Comment

when you have a check engine light, your idle does that, dropping and rising subtly. When I had my VSS going out and after my check engine light came on, it would do that.

Comment

Originally posted by ikayto
          when you have a check engine light, your idle does that, dropping and rising subtly. When I had my VSS going out and after my check engine light came on, it would do that.

ahk thanks, that's good to know

Comment

i've changed the fuel filter and i still get the code, any other ideas?

Comment

http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...ht=fuel+supply

also here is some repair manual stuff

code 43 is always troublesome because there are many possibilities

on the stairs, she grabs my arm, says whats up,
              where you been, is something wrong?
              i try to just smile, and say everything’s fine.

Comment

I have had two occasions where i had to deal with this code. On both occasions this method seemed to work for me and the code never came back.

I did not change anything at all, all i did is run an 1/3 of the can of seafoam in the gas tank. nothing else.

Run that and with about a full tank and see if that comes back or not. Results may vary.
                Members Ride

Comment

did you reset your ecu?

"You've done more threatening prescription drugs..."
                  "the character of a man can be judged by how he takes his criticism"
                  "Quoting yourself is like, masturbation" -Starchland

Comment

yea i reset the ecu, except a quick question, do i need to turn it on straight after i put everything back together like it says in the DIY, or can i just leave it till the next time i drive it?

thanks for the info accordaffair and blackcb7

i reckon i'll try injector cleaners and stuff, i dont' really get those pages that you posted, i did page 11-18 about the fuel supply system and it just gets me to the top right box and i don't know where that goes...

i don't really notice any loss in power, but i could be wrong, and nothing really happened when the light first came on. it's so frustrating
                    Last edited by Trini; 03-28-2008, 12:43 AM.

Comment

Ok, I'll try to get you the code 1 troubleshooting pages

Actually I think though you should follow the fuel supply error, because the code 43 is accompanied by a MIL and poor driveability.

So here's all that

Last edited by accordaffair; 03-28-2008, 12:51 AM.

on the stairs, she grabs my arm, says whats up,
                      where you been, is something wrong?
                      i try to just smile, and say everything’s fine.

Comment

Originally posted by accordaffair
                        Ok, I'll try to get you the code 1 troubleshooting pages
                        thanks

Comment

ok... i've tried and tried and tried and i'm still getting code 43... this is what i've done so far:

-New O2 sensor
                          -new fuel filter
                          -injector cleaner
                          -checked injectors ~ all are fine
                          -checked injector resistors ~ all getting between the 5 - 7ohm gap

how can i check if the main relay or the fuel pressure regulator are working?
                          also where is the O2 sensor i want to test it to see if it's working or not
                          and how can i check for loose wires or poor connections between the HO2S and ECM?

pics would be helpful please

thanks

Comment

if your idle fluctuates from like 750-1500 rpm, then it's prolly the IACV. common problem on older/higher mileage vehicles, as they iacv becomes clogged with carbon deposits.

*edit* check for vacuum leaks. i'm still feeling that there's a fuel problem somewhere. have you checked voltage from the fuel pump?

Comment

Originally posted by mondojackal
                              if your idle fluctuates from like 750-1500 rpm, then it's prolly the IACV. common problem on older/higher mileage vehicles, as they iacv becomes clogged with carbon deposits.

*edit* check for vacuum leaks. i'm still feeling that there's a fuel problem somewhere. have you checked voltage from the fuel pump?

well i fixed the idle problems, i cleaned out all those parts in that DIY i think it included the IACV...

i've checked for vacuum leaks too, well my friend did it and couldn't find anything

how do i check the voltage from the fuel pump?

Thanks for the reply

Comment

Working...
                              X