DIY fog light install on '91 Accord

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DIY fog light install on '91 Accord

So I got a set of foglights off a '90 Accord from an all-Honda junkyard, the guy must not have known what they were worth cause he only charged me $40CA for the lights, brackets, swicth and full harness. I brought them home and cleaned them up a lil, one was broken in the back, but only the plastic, not all the way through to the inside of the light.

Driver's side:

Passenger's side:

Harness and switch:

Removing the bumper was a pain because the nuts for the bumper support are stripped, so I decided to just remove the cover.

The plastic expansion clips were hateful because they wouldn't come back out with a screwdriver, so I tried something different:

I screwed in a small screw, only a lil bit:

Grab the screw with a set of pliers and pull the plastic center out:

I used a flat screwdriver and hammer and broke out the ones under the headlights. Piece of cake, the cover came off easily:

Then I used a utility knife to cut out the covers:

Keep reading below

Check out my paintjobs at http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3134126

Installing the harness was hateful, especially running the wires through the dash, and I spent almost half an hour trying to bolt the relays up underneath the cruise control unit. But after several hours I got it all in, and the switch:

The worst part was the one light that was broken a bit in the back was very rusted where the bulb sits, and wouldn't carry a current. I got new bulbs for both sides, and some new wires and end connectors, eventually I did get them to work, then the bumper went back on easily using the original expansion clips:

Cleaned up and hauled it out of the garage to take a few shots and drool for a while:

TOTAL TIME: 5hrs

Please tell me what you think

Comment

very nice.

Comment

Nice find. good price too.
        My ride History:
        Accord 90 lx auto: Gone
        Accord 91 dx MT: Gone
        Accord 92 lx auto: Gone
        -----------------------------------
        1st to D.I.Y custom RED/CLEAR's

Comment

Was it easy to cut with the knife? I need to cut mine in a couple days amd I have no clue what I'm going to use. I have no dremel.
          Nice right up btw!!
          Cappuccino Member #9<--- click for thread

^click for MRT^
          CB9 MRT-R.I.P.
          Coupe MRT

Comment

man you got a hell of a deal there the lights look good great DIY bro

Comment

Originally posted by lilb_1979 View Post
              Was it easy to cut with the knife? I need to cut mine in a couple days amd I have no clue what I'm going to use. I have no dremel.
              Nice right up btw!!
              i used a drill with one of those rotobit spiral saw bits and it worked like a charm

Comment

Originally posted by npor View Post
                i used a drill with one of those rotobit spiral saw bits and it worked like a charm
                Hmm, I think I will try that.

^click for MRT^
                CB9 MRT-R.I.P.
                Coupe MRT

Comment

I just used a utility knife (carefully) The plastic is soft so the knife slides along pretty good. Along the bottom can be a lil tougher because there are spots where the plastic is thicker

Comment

Silly question but does anyone know whether these are JDM or USDM foglights, just based on the pics?

Comment

Originally posted by mean87 View Post
                      Silly question but does anyone know whether these are JDM or USDM foglights, just based on the pics?
                      they look OEM to me from the pics but heres a question to answer your question.

Are the lenses curved? if so then yes they are JDM
                      Maple50175 - you're annoying =P
                      Brandoncb7 - I don't mean to come across like an ass but I see why you irritate Aaron now.
                      JoshM - Crotch rocket = chick magnet.

Comment

Originally posted by lilb_1979 View Post
                        Was it easy to cut with the knife? I need to cut mine in a couple days amd I have no clue what I'm going to use.
                        I used a mini hacksaw, I find I have more control with it than a utility knife.

Comment

Great job!!

brought mine from dealer and came with directions/drawing..

...........AE86-GTS: SOLD.................................................. ........CB7-DX: SOLD

Comment

Well I used a utility knife and it worked great!! Thanks to this thread I was able to do it!! Thanks guys!!

I guess I have JDM ones cuse my are curved.

Will post pic tomorrow!!

^click for MRT^
                            CB9 MRT-R.I.P.
                            Coupe MRT

Comment

I like it I wasnt a big fan of fogs but i am coming around.
                              I know this is off topic but what junk ward did you get them at?

Comment

Working...
                              X