Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

INT: S2K Push-to-start button Ignition

DISCLAIMER
    Like any DIY mods, you work at your own risk. I am not responsible for anything that might go wrong. You should read all instructions before starting. If you don't understand something or something is not clear, IM me (Eaccordv6vtec3rx), PM me, post a reply, ask someone on the forum, ask anyone who might know. If you don't understand at all, you shouldn't attempt this.

Estimated time- 3 hours
    Estimated cost- 60 dollars
    Reason for DIY- It's fun. It's cool. You CAN still use the key to start the engine unlike the kits you can buy that won't start the engine with the key.

Here is list of things you need (I used) I probably spent about 60 dollars

OEM S2000 Startbutton (1) $32
    12VDC 30Amp SPDT relay (1) $5
    Wire (i originally used 12 gauge but used 16 gauge when i redid it) $5
    Solder $5
    Electrical tape $2
    30A Fuse (1) $3 (pack)
    Folk connector (1) $3 (pack)
    D Connector (6) ( Picture below. Forgot what it's called so I am going to call it Connector D. D for David ) $3 (pack)
    Soldering iron $6
    scissor $5 ??
    plier $10??

Now that we are ready, letets get started!! :yes: :burnout:

Step 1 - Cut wire
    Cut 6 strands of wires. They don't need to be real long but not too short. The length you will need will depand on where you decide to put the relay, the button, ground point, and where you will make the connections to the wires.

Step 2 - Prepare wire
    You can ignore this step if you are going to solder the wires on to the relay or do it your way. All connections should be soldered secure. Wire 1 - Just strip off the insulation on one side of the wire. Leave the other side alone. This wire will connect from the Starter button pin #2 (out put) to Ignition wire
    Wire 2 - This should be the longest one. It will be used for ground.
    Strip the insulation off of both end. Connect a folk connector on striped end and connect the other connector (connector D) at the other end. Solder the connectors on to the wire.
    Wire 3 - Strip off some insulation at both end and connect a connector D at one end and leave the other one alone. This is used to connect starter wire to relay pin 87. Solder the connection.
    Wire 4 - (same as wire 3) This is used to connect constant 12v wire to one end of the fuse. Solder on the connection
    Wire 5 - Strip off some insulation at both end connect the connector at both end. This is used to connect Pin 30 to other end of fuse. Solder on the connection
    Wire 6 - Strip some insulation off on one end and connect a connector D to the striped side. Leave the other side alone. This wire will connect from Pin85 on relay pack to pin1 (power) on the starter button.

Step 3 - Take off the knee guard(?) The thing that covers up all the ugly wires under the steering colum. There are 2 screws in side the fuse cover on drivers side. There is another screw on the center console side.

Step 4- Strip wires. You will strip some wires.
    There are 2 thick bundles of wires under the steering colum. Two are tied with a plastic ring. There is one with bunch of thin wires and one with black rubber cover around it. One you want is one with black rubber covering Take off the plastic ring that ties two harnesses together. This gets in the way when ur working.

Cut the black rubber cover so you can get access to the wires inside.
    Inside, there are about 9 (not sure) 12gauge wires. Find Ignition wire (Black with yellow stripe), Starter wire (Black with white stripe), and constant 12V wire (white).

Strip off some insulation off these wires. You will be tapping wires you prepared to these wires Step 5 - Connection. When you make connections, make sure that all connections are secure and insulated with electrical tape.

Pin 86 is grounded. Connect wire 2 (connector D side) to the relay pin 86 and ground the folk connector side.
    INSULATE
    Pin 87 will be connected to the starter wire (Black with white stripe) Use wire 3. Connector D side is connected to replay pin 87. Tap the stripped end of wire 3 into starter wire (Black with white stripe) Wrap some electrical tape around the connection to secure the tap.
    INSULATE :smash:

Pin 85 is connected to the Button and to the Ignition wire (Black with yellow stripe). Connect connector D end of wire 4 to Pin 85. Connect the other end to the starter button. Connect it to #2 pin (power). (see picture).
    Wire 1 is connected from pin1 (output) to Ignition wire (Black with yellow stripe). Connect the unstriped side to pin 1 (output) on starter button. Tap the strip side into the Ignition wire (Black with yellow stripe). Wrap electrical tape around the connection to secure the tap. INSULATE
    Pin 87a is not used in the installation. Put some electrical tape around the pin and your done.

This is how everything should be wired.

*WHEN TAPPING INTO THE WIRES, DO NOT CUT THE WIRE. JUST STRIP LITTLE INSULATION OFF JUST ENOUGH TO TAP IN TO THEM. MAKE SURE THE TAP IS SECURE AND INSULATED

Step 6- Mount the relay pack.
    Find a good place to secure the Relay pack.
    Make sure all the connection are secure and insulated with electrical tape.

Step 7- Connection to the button

3 pins are not used in the stallation. Only two are used
    Pin 2-Power Pin1- Output
    On my first installation, I just shoved the pins in to the wires. But the connections came lose too easily. So I used wire with pin connectors that came off of my soundcard to make the connection to the button.
    You only need 2 pin connectors. The one from soundcard had 4 so I just cut two wires and insulated them.
    YOu can get these wire with pin connectors at Fry's, Radioshack, www.allelectronics.com Even Best Buy.
    Step 8- Check
    Make sure all connections are correct, secure, and insulated.
    Double Check

Step 9- Test
    First, try starting your engine with the key. You SHOULD be able to turn on the engine with the key.
    Works?? that's great. Doesn't work?? Uh Oh... I dunno
    Now turn your key to second click then press the button.
    VrROOooommmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Step 10- Put everything back together

Step 11- Mount
    Find a good, creative place to mount the push button. Mount it. Be creative.
    I didn't mount mine yet. It's just dangling there under the center dash. I am going to make a fiberglass mounting.

Step 12- Clean up
    Clean everything up.

Step 13- Enjoy your button.
    Show it off
    I don't use the button too often. I only use it when I want to show it off.

Praise The Lowered...

hey loco los!.. can i get a pic of this "D Connector"..? i just got a button from one of my s2k buddies and want to throw this in there...

Comment

Los

NICE RED X lol but yeah nice DIY writeup
      Henry R
      Koni/Neuspeed
      1992 Accord LX R.I.P
      1993 Accord EX OG since 'o3
      Legend FSM

'You see we human beings are not born with prejudices, always they are made for us,
      made by someone who wants something' -1943 US War Department video

Comment

id love to do this someday

"You've done more threatening prescription drugs..."
        "the character of a man can be judged by how he takes his criticism"
        "Quoting yourself is like, masturbation" -Starchland

Comment

If someone could get some pictures of this and maybe some of the steps that would be awesome

Comment

This would be cool!!! Need more pics!!

Great achievements result from great effort

Comment

nice creative mod, thatd be pimp to have

Check Out My Car

Comment

pic please....
                Signature Picture removed due to excessive size

VOLVO 240GL bandit crew....all mighty supertank

Comment

nice nice... i like to showoff my autostart better tho....and its secure......
                  pics would be tight..i would like to see it......

Comment

how do you turn it off if you have started it with the button, do you just turn your key down.... what if you dont have your keys

Comment

Originally posted by Accord_exR View Post
                      how do you turn it off if you have started it with the button, do you just turn your key down.... what if you dont have your keys
                      yeah you would just turn it off like normal.
                      and you would need your keys in the first place in order to turn it to the 2nd click before you could start it with the button.
                      1992 H22A4 Coupe - R.I.P.

Bought from: slammed4thgen. new_beginnings. crzy.tuning. f20aaccordturbo. hondaguy1212. cb4_honda. fatboy1185. wed3k.
                      _____________H22A4CB7. minorreparations. PR CB7. plee3. Bisimoto Engineering.

Sold to: LadyG. sulimed. choppacity. choogee3.

Comment

Originally posted by SE_DynamiK View Post
                        yeah you would just turn it off like normal.
                        and you would need your keys in the first place in order to turn it to the 2nd click before you could start it with the button.
                        damn..way to bump it after three years...
                        Henry R
                        Koni/Neuspeed
                        1992 Accord LX R.I.P
                        1993 Accord EX OG since 'o3
                        Legend FSM

'You see we human beings are not born with prejudices, always they are made for us,
                        made by someone who wants something' -1943 US War Department video

Comment

I hooked mine up with my alarm system and when I walk away and lock my doors with the remote it turns off my car, works well and people love it

Originally posted by cp[mike]
                          the joys of digging into an old car, its like christmas every time you try to fix something. "woohoo!! more rust and broken parts! sweet!!!"

Comment

Originally posted by Accrdkid View Post
                            damn..way to bump it after three years...
                            lol didnt even realize.
                            this is a cool upgrade tho, maybe itll inspire more people to try it.
                            i definitely want to, especially so it turns off when i lock my car.
                            1992 H22A4 Coupe - R.I.P.

Bought from: slammed4thgen. new_beginnings. crzy.tuning. f20aaccordturbo. hondaguy1212. cb4_honda. fatboy1185. wed3k.
                            _____________H22A4CB7. minorreparations. PR CB7. plee3. Bisimoto Engineering.

Sold to: LadyG. sulimed. choppacity. choogee3.

Comment

anybody have some pictures??

H22 cb7:
                              http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=133482
                              cb9:
                              http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=187076
                              dd cb7:
                              http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=203058

Comment

Working...
                              X