Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

EXT: OEM Fog Light installation (USDM 9293, PART II)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

EXT: OEM Fog Light installation (USDM 9293, PART II)

this is an extension to the original thread posted here by cpmike. the original DIY proved to be very helpful during my installation. i've just decided to add some more pictures that might be able to clarify some steps to further help out future installers in this task. btw, it took me 8 hours to install including wiring and a 1 hour dinner break (i'm very meticulous in what i do!).

here is my set of foglights prior to installation c/o olivrooom. they have no switch, and i'll be explaining later on how i made it work. they have the USDM curve...

...but something tells me this is still a JDM set. when i first placed the bracket against my USDM bumper, the top two corner tabs on the bracket didn't line up at all. i know it might be hard to see in the pic below but all the holes line up except for those top two corner tabs. cpmike explains this as well in his install in STEP 5.

here are some close ups of the misalignment. they are not even close to fitting. i'm assuming that JDM bumpers might have different provisions for it's brackets. can this mean that you don't need the JDM curve to have JDM foglights? or this may just mean that i have JDM brackets on USDM foglights . anyway, notice that the bottom holes line up but not the top tab.

the misalignment causes the center tab of the bracket to misalign as well. the center tab uses one of the bolts that holds the bumper support to the car.

in cpmike's DIY, he mentions that the "brackets were bent out of the way, and only the 3 bottom screws and the top brace were used". that's exactly what i did. after bending the top two corner tabs out of the way, everything else lined up perfectly.

now that i knew the brackets were fine, it was time to cut out the hole. there is an outline on the back of the bumper and that's what i followed. there was no need to use a template, unless you have an aftermarket bumper. i used a 99cent saw and it worked great. it is better than using a dremel with a cutting bit, although it takes quite a bit longer and tires you out faster. i feel that i have more control with a saw though.

after cutting out the general shape, i used a dremel with a sanding cylinder just like cpmike stated to smoothen out the edges. do use goggles as debris fly everywhere. this is the final outcome.

i didn't have the rubber moldings to outline the foglights so i made sure to do a flawless job on the cuts. i think i did pretty well. here is how it looks mounted (note: i used #10 1/2" sheet metal screws for the three bottom holes on each bracket). it sat perfectly meaning the cutout outline provided by the factory is accurate.

after cutting out and fitting both sides, the foglights needed to be wired. i didn't have a premade wire harness kit like cpmike so i decided to make my own (refer to the thread in the lighting forum here for more insight). i ran wire from one fog to the other under the bumper core, then to the relay sitting in the engine bay. this way, there is only one set of wires are coming in putting less clutter in the engine bay. i used the following wiring setup. note that i wired the "without switch" option for now until i get an actual switch.
    Last edited by timmy0tool; 12-12-2008, 02:43 PM.
    1cor10:31
    - 92 LX coupe
    - 96 EX wagon (sold)

after wiring it all, i tested it. make sure it all works before replacing your bumper. the consequences are obvious. when i turn on my parking lights, my foglights turn on with them. this is temporary but that's how i did it. here is the finished product.

i plan on putting in some yellow H3 bulbs in the foglights to complete the lexus look. after all, i do have lexus GS300 HIDs.
    Last edited by timmy0tool; 12-12-2008, 02:44 PM.
    - 92 LX coupe
    - 96 EX wagon (sold)

Comment

Looks great Timmy.

I want a 92-93 bumper now

Very nice pics and everything. I have yellow bulbs for my fogs I just haven't had time to put them in.

Comment

Wow. Good job. Looks awesome.
        Former: 90 Accord EX Coupe, 93 10th Anniversary in Frost White

1985 Volvo 245 manual [IPD lowering springs, IPD sway bars, OEM Virgo wheels, 1977 quad round headlights, 1978 grill]
        2001 Mazda B3000 SE 4x4 extended cab [stock except for CB radio]
        2008 Ford Escape XLT [bone stock]
        2015 Toyota Prius Three with solar roof [rear diffuser, Vision Cross wheels... cheaper than steelies!]

Comment

very clean cut, good job. im glad the DIY was of some service i added a link to this thread into the first post of my thread
          Last edited by cp[mike]; 01-05-2005, 02:09 AM.

- 1993 Accord LX - White sedan (sold)
          - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (wrecked)
          - 1991 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
          - 1990 Accord EX - Grey sedan (sold)
          - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
          - 1992 Accord EX - White coupe (sold)
          - 1993 Accord EX - Grey coupe (stolen)
          - 1993 Accord SE - Gold coupe (sold)
          Current cars:
          - 2005 Subaru Legacy GT Wagon - Daily driver
          - 2004 Chevrolet Express AWD - Camper conversion

Comment

nice thanx for those pics. the install came out awesome. u didnt want to put home depot rubber on them? timmy haha ur not the only one that wanted the lexus look lol i know another person who did the lexus fog projecter in the fog lights. but he didnt finish the project. and with hids my m3 hids would look sick with the yellow bulbs

mad props on the install again

accordwarrior where did u get the yellow h3 bulbs i searched and couldnt find them. plz tell us your secret

mauricio

Comment

Timmy, I could really use some help! Hahahaha! I'll see if I can rustle up a pair of the rubber moldings for ya.
              O'skool fo sho! You might hate, but I been doin' this long before you know.

Comment

wish this thread existed on the first attempt of my jdm fog install...

the above problems were the same ones that i had encountered, the upper brackets didnt line up and such. i was determined to align them though, took me the entire day and still came up with nothing. who would have though to just bend them out of the way...i think that is where it got me the worst on the install, as i couldnt aim the fogs correctly. i am debating on whether or not i want to give it another try, now that i have experience and another helpful diy.

those cuts do look flawless though

Comment

for those interested, i found the OEM wiring diagram for an 03 accord. it is very similar to my design however it implements the highbeam cutoff. this means that when the highbeams are triggered, the foglights will turn off. this wiring diagram also only allows the foglights to be on only with the headlights and not with the parking lights like in my design. this is just for the sake of options when wiring the foglights.

here is mine.

and here is the OEM wiring diagram for an 03 accord
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by timmy0tool; 04-14-2008, 03:01 PM.
                  - 92 LX coupe
                  - 96 EX wagon (sold)

Comment

it makes me so happy seeing other people who can read schematics. timmy, youre my hero, wiring is like half of working on a car, yet its something most people have a problem with.

btw, did u cut along the inner or outer line of the template on the back of the bumper?

Current cars:

Comment

i still need to figue out my wiring mike
                      When i pull out my key, and the lights are stil on, the air will stay on until the lights are off lol
                      all i wanna figure out is how to get the lights on the defrost and fog to work, the fog one comes on when the lights are OFF.

My ride RS6 HELLA Bi-xenon ECE retrofitted CB7
                      www.maketradefair.com

Comment

Originally posted by cpmike
                        it makes me so happy seeing other people who can read schematics. timmy, youre my hero, wiring is like half of working on a car, yet its something most people have a problem with.

btw, did u cut along the inner or outer line of the template on the back of the bumper?
                        it helps to read schematics when you've just graduated with a B.S. in electrical engineering. i love wiring stuff up. wiring is very basic, people just need to take the time to learn.

to answer your question, i trimmed about 1cm inside the inner line of the template. since i needed to smoothen out the initial rough cut, i gave myself some room so that i wouldn't pass the inner line. remember it's easier to remove material rather then add. i smoothened the cut to the inner line. it's ok to pass that line but don't pass the outer line for obvious reasons.

97lude, sounds like you have a serious problem but i know mike can easily overcome it, right mike ?!
                        - 92 LX coupe
                        - 96 EX wagon (sold)

Comment

on my passenger side fog light for a 91 accord i have to black wires and a red would that mean to ground both or what? and i have the jdm switch and there are a whole bunch of wires any1 want to help me out on that like which wires are which
                          www.2camcrew.com

Comment

sometime honda uses the connectors as common connections. in your case it sounds like there used to be a common ground where the two black wires meet. i would just test it to make sure. try grounding both wires and connecting the red to the positive terminal of the battery. the light should come on if the bulbs isn't blown. if not, just test different wire combinations.

as far as your switch, all the basics should be there (common ground, switched power, illumination power for backlighting, constant power). list the colors of the wires and how many there are. i actually never seen an OEM switch so i would want to know and figure this out.
                            - 92 LX coupe
                            - 96 EX wagon (sold)

Comment

i thought i posted this somewhere already?

[img]http://****.com/pics/hooking-up-fogs.jpg[/img]

Current cars:

Comment

Working...
                              X