INT: Tweeter in Pillars

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

INT: Tweeter in Pillars

Okay folks just as the title says, this DIY is how I incorporated some tweeters into my plastic pillars. I believe that one is the "B" Pillar from the windshield to the seat belts. Any how I'll just let these pictures explain... in which I didn't take pictures of some things.

Disclaimer: Do this at your own risk. I'm not responsible for electrical fires. Hand to finger removal. Or anything of these natures.

Materials:
    -Rotary Tool
    -Drill Bit
    -Drum Bit (that's the first thing that came to mind for the name of it)
    -Cut Off Wheel (optional)
    -Screwdriver (Phillips)
    -Ratchet
    -17mm Socket
    -12mm Wrench
    -Sharpie
    -Flushmount Tweeters

Beginning to remove you pillars. "C" is right below "B" and simply pulls off. "B" requires a little more work. This is for CB's without powered seat belts. My car is a '92.

First, pull off the "C" pillar and set it aside. Then take your screwdriver and unscrew the screw at the bottom of your "B" pillar. Got it? Cool.

Next CAREFULLY pry your pillar from your chassis. Try not to bend or break any of the clips. "B" is also connected to "C", the pillar towards the rear. I pulled them apart right where they connect as the intersect into each other. If you've gotten all of your clips loose you'll realize that "Hey it's still attached by the seat belt." Which takes me to the next step.

Follow your seat belt down to the floor. Its a piece of rubber that covers a bolt we need to take off. Slide that out of the way, take you 17mm socket and ratchet and get'er done. Got it? Gravy.

Now look at your slider (seat belt adjuster...whatever) slide it to the bottom, it'll unveil a 12mm bolt. Use your wrench here. Slide it up and get the other bolt.

Okay so the trick to getting it out is to turn the piece that swivels to the left or right and squeeze it through. Take you time though, you don't want to break it. It is just plastic. If you got it off congrats, if not you suck at life and need more practice.

**Measure twice, cut once**

Get to a table, floor, or work bench so that we can get this ish cracking. Take the flushmount part of your tweeter and line it up with where you want it. Take your Sharpie do a decent circle. Be sure to get it right on both sides.

This is how I did mine and for everyone else feel free to do it as easy as it suits you. Take your rotary tool and drill bit. Start a hole next to your outline taking it around full circle with the drill bit. Pop that bit out and put in your drum. Sand away along the outline and be sure to test fit every few cuts.

OOOH NICE AND SNUG!

Clean it up. Extend your wires. As of now mine are connected to my rear it'll change in the very near future but that's where they are now.

Installation is reverse of removal. One thing to remember is the seat belt sits on top of the "B" pillar, not behind it.

I'm awesome....

Questions just ask below.
    Last edited by Shay91Racer; 02-17-2011, 11:09 PM.
    Member's Ride Thread

Originally posted by deevergote
    Don't forget to cut holes in the box. Someone sent me a dead hooker one time, and that wasn't cool.
    Bought From: AccordWarrior | CB7lx91 | DarkShadow707| Tn_Accords | H23CB7 | Jack_lee | Fatboy1185
    Sold/Gave To: 90goldcoupe | CB7lx91 | Jas_r34 | F20accordturbo | BatmannamtaB

I've seen tweeters mounted in many different places inside a cb7, but never there. I bet you really hear the highs with them so close to your head. Cool idea.
    There are no black and white suspension answers!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

you do. but is cool. the music i listen to makes me hear a lot of this i didn't know was there. Whats the thing called... equalizer? yeah I'm going to get me one of those for the whole system.
      Member's Ride Thread

Don't forget to cut holes in the box. Someone sent me a dead hooker one time, and that wasn't cool.
      Bought From: AccordWarrior | CB7lx91 | DarkShadow707| Tn_Accords | H23CB7 | Jack_lee | Fatboy1185

Comment

Awesome DIY!!!! This will be something i may look into doing

Originally posted by slammed4thgen
        be risky, be smart, and most of all be creative!

Comment

They sound awesome by the way. It's like surround sound. Just need some better control around the sound... wiring up an half-din EQ soon.
          Member's Ride Thread

Comment

I think I'm gonna put a set in the same spot.
            cb007
            first cb wit full LED taillight retrofit

Comment

that'll be king... trust
              Member's Ride Thread

Comment

nice install! but that is probably the worst spot to put a tweeter from a SQ point of view.
                What makes me laugh about forums, is that no matter how much you try to help someone, they dont take the advice. Go ahead and do it the hard way.

You got to respect what you drive, and appreciate what you have, making the best of what you got. and if that means putting CAI, HID's, a phat stereo system, and a idiot in the drivers seat...then so be it!

Retro!

Hater

I love nooBs...They make me look good

Comment

How much room is there back there for a tweeter? And actually that's not the worst spot. The stock location is pretty horrible since it points at your feet. I just wonder if it'd work better for the front speakers than the rear speakers to have a tweeter there.
                  Last edited by Sarthos; 07-17-2010, 04:29 PM.

Comment

sick work sistaaaaaaaaaaa.
                    **Blk Housed Slut Crew Member #1**

**Don't b scared be prepared for the worst**
                    Da Drizzle's Sedan - Dr. Diy's Blk Housed Thread

'90 2Tone Coupe-Car Heaven_'89 Lude-Junk Yard
                    Mostly Usdm, some Jdm,Edm,&Puerto Rican RICE

Comment

Originally posted by accordztech View Post
                      nice install! but that is probably the worst spot to put a tweeter from a SQ point of view.
                      Well it depends on where your seat is located. I have my head by that pillar anytime i am in the car sooooooo.......yeah BUT, if your two feet tall then maybe you should put them in the front. BTW Great job on the install shay. i love to see women being creative!
                      Originally posted by Makaveli2k
                      Be a man. Grab on the crank pulley with one hand, hold some chloroform over the air filter and "Shush it to death".
                      Originally posted by Accrdkid
                      Hey did you earn your Red Wings? Red Wings being you muffed dived that coochie and tasted copper and got the red mustache.

No matter how far you go, the same path lies in front of you. "ユメクイ"

Comment

Originally posted by Sarthos View Post
                        How much room is there back there for a tweeter? And actually that's not the worst spot. The stock location is pretty horrible since it points at your feet. I just wonder if it'd work better for the front speakers than the rear speakers to have a tweeter there.
                        I'd say about 2inches max. Mine have brackets that actually make it stick out a little more than I want so what I'm going to do is take it off and put a nice little film of silicone around the back side, but its in there snug.

-The front would've been better but me being anxious got the best of me. I'm going to put them back up front. But they do sound nice.

Originally posted by F20A CB7 View Post
                        sick work sistaaaaaaaaaaa.
                        why thank you! figured i'd make my first DIY a good one.

Originally posted by Jkid View Post
                        Well it depends on where your seat is located. I have my head by that pillar anytime i am in the car sooooooo.......yeah BUT, if your two feet tall then maybe you should put them in the front. BTW Great job on the install shay. i love to see women being creative!
                        Mmmhmmm my head sits right in front of that pillar oh say 4 inches from it. I'm 5'6" but it doesnt sound distorted or crazy. It sounds more like a theater with surround sound.
                        Member's Ride Thread

Comment

This is probably a stupid question. -.-" but I can't figure out which pillars you're talking about. :s Could you possibly take a picture of the pillars you're talking about and mark them "A", "B" and "C"? :o If it's not too much trouble. I honestly can't figure out which is which and I really want to attempt it! :o

Comment

Originally posted by YOanthony View Post
                            This is probably a stupid question. -.-" but I can't figure out which pillars you're talking about. :s Could you possibly take a picture of the pillars you're talking about and mark them "A", "B" and "C"? :o If it's not too much trouble. I honestly can't figure out which is which and I really want to attempt it! :o
                            the pillar in-between the doors...its the B pillar actually
                            here is a detailed pic
                            THANK YOU WIKIPEDIA!!!

and to the OP sweet DIY!!

JENNA 91 LX

RIP 12-11-09 - 12/06/10
                            JANE 99 Infiniti i30
                            2-9-11 - current
                            "Life is simple, you make choices and you don't look back."

Comment

Originally posted by sow3r View Post
                              the pillar in-between the doors...its the B pillar actually
                              here is a detailed pic
                              THANK YOU WIKIPEDIA!!!

and to the OP sweet DIY!!
                              ooo, I sort of get it now. Cheers!

Comment

Working...
                              X