Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

INT: power antenna cleaning

Chances are your power antenna is broken

Well in this guide im going to show you how to clean the gears so you can install a new mast into your antenna

Tools: Philips screw driver

Materials

Some sort of silicon grease
    Brake kleen ( thats the brand i used and yes thats how they spell it )

Step 1:

Get your power antenna

This is an accord antenna, the one i will be cleaning is a 90-93 integra antenna, There are 2 small differences.

1: the connector is different
    2: the removable mounting brackets are different

Otherwise internally they are the same

here is a perfect condition power antenna

Step 2: Remove these 4 screws

You should see whats in red inside your power antenna, it should ( or did ) look like the green

Step 4: Remove these 2 screws

Step 5: Pull all of these gears stright up and out

Your gears should look like this

Step 6: take your gears and spray them with brake kleen and clean them with a tooth pick and some tissues to remove all the gunk

Step 7: Remover the rear metal cover held on by 2 screws

Step 8: Remove the circular cup holding the antenna mast and clean it as done in step 6

Step 9: Reinstall everything and use some sort of silicon grease on the gears ( There was no grease on the gears in this picture )

Step 10: Reinstall the power antenna and reinstall the mast

Step 11: enjoy your power antenna

Ive been meaning to look at mine, nice DIY, mine works but the cogs slip at the end of it going up and down.

Looking at these pics it could be anyone of these cogs but you have given me the motivation to sort this out now cheers man haha

UKDM 93 CB3 Page (1) H22A U2Q7 LSD
    UKDM 91 4ws Page (3) OEM Minter
    NOW H22A U2Q7 SWAPPED

Comment

Originally posted by marcusv8thunder View Post
      Ive been meaning to look at mine, nice DIY, mine works but the cogs slip at the end of it going up and down.

Looking at these pics it could be anyone of these cogs but you have given me the motivation to sort this out now cheers man haha
      lol np. Im really debating if im going to keep the fully working power antenna or just sell it. It sure is a good thing to have around to help fix the other one though.

And yeah for some reason mine slips at the end of its run too ( the integra one ) i have yet to put it back in because i dont have the stock radio anymore or a radio that can control the mast.

Comment

Originally posted by Tippey764 View Post
        lol np. Im really debating if im going to keep the fully working power antenna or just sell it. It sure is a good thing to have around to help fix the other one though.

And yeah for some reason mine slips at the end of its run too ( the integra one ) i have yet to put it back in because i dont have the stock radio anymore or a radio that can control the mast.
        well I ripped in to mine today and ive found the problem, that band with cogs on that moves as the ariel goes up and down, has worn teeth near each end, so sadly its not fixeable easily.

Though i put a rubber washer between the chassis and power antenna so the classic (dud dud dud dud dud....dud) is not as loud lol

NOW H22A U2Q7 SWAPPED

Comment

Originally posted by marcusv8thunder View Post
          well I ripped in to mine today and ive found the problem, that band with cogs on that moves as the ariel goes up and down, has worn teeth near each end, so sadly its not fixeable easily.

Though i put a rubber washer between the chassis and power antenna so the classic (dud dud dud dud dud....dud) is not as loud lol
          If you really want ( granted this might not be allowed ) i could sell you the accord one in the guide for pretty cheap. I have no use for it because my radio cant control the power antenna. I really want a manual one from a DX/RS

Comment

Couple more tips for power antenna rebuild:

There is a pin (top center in the photo with green outlining, lower left in next photo) sticking up through the gear train bracket that serves to keep the mast cable engaged with the gear. This pin wears and allows the cable to disengage/slip on the gear. With the gear train removed, use a needle nose pliers to pull the pin straight out, clean it, rotate it 180 degrees, and reinstall.

There is also a clutch mechanism on the back side of the large gear, it is a good idea to take this apart, clean, relubricate, and reassemble as well. This clutch is what is supposed to slip when first installing a new mast, or when the mast is overloaded for some reason (ice for example), instead of the mast toothed belt slipping on the drive gear (which wears out the belt and gear).
            90 LX 4dr 5 spd 396,014 (sold 1/1/2022) - MRT: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=201450
            08 Element LX FWD AT 229,000 - MRT: fleetw00d : 2008 Honda Element LX - CB7Tuner Forums

Comment

Your exactly right about the pin there, my main focus was to add something over it like a washer or something to push the band closer to the gear, it didnt work for me tho couldnt find the right thing to shove in there

NOW H22A U2Q7 SWAPPED

Comment

The pin, are you talking the needle looking like a clock needle?

Thanks.

Comment

The "clock needles" sticking in from the outside of the ratchet mechanism with the metal face is are the electrical contacts. The pin to which I am referring is the one that you can just see the top of at the very top of the green circled area and lower left (see the notch in the metal plate over the large gear) in the picture below the one with greem outlining.
                  90 LX 4dr 5 spd 396,014 (sold 1/1/2022) - MRT: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=201450
                  08 Element LX FWD AT 229,000 - MRT: fleetw00d : 2008 Honda Element LX - CB7Tuner Forums

Comment

Working...
                  X