INT. full led gauge DIY

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

INT. full led gauge DIY

WORKING PROGRESS. I'll update thru out the process.
    I got couple gauge from JY .Pull some needles from later models that have light up display type. I got some from mazda, maxima, infiniti. what ever I can get my hand on them.

first of is to take your old one out and put jy one on. testing it making sure every thing is working order so I know I am working with good gauge.

open up the back side. most gauge will have burn spot. 19 year old electrical parts. its day are number. but it seem to work ok. just note to yourself that.

remove these crew to inspect back circuit board.
    I have open 4 gauges. all of them have burn mark. but seem to work ok but keep my finger cross.

depend on what brand of gauge you get. if you turn the RPM / Speed needle clock wise. this one will stop just a tat past 6 oclock.
    so you know where it should be when you put new needle in.

Now taking out the needle. some people pull it off and take chance on killing the motor 50/50 shot.
    I cut the plastic out to be safe. masking tape that gauge face so you don't scratch it by accident.
    carefully cut the plastic piece out with dremel cuter.

carefully clip out the rest of plastic

with all the needle remove. remove screw holding the gauge.

gas/temp side just peel it off and there are 2 more screw behind it.

remove screws holding motors and mileage gauge and back circuit board should come off.

label the motor, and here are the rest of your light source. gear indicator, abs, turn etc..

the easy part are done.
    now I'll start replacing the gear indicator, door, trunk, etc
    this is 3mm white led small enough compare to original bulbs
    PRACTICE ON YOUR SOLDERING SKILL BECAUSE YOU WILL DO A LOT OF IT

I opt to use flashing red led for the reverse so it will flash red when on reverse gear.

next moving on to the rest of indicator like ABS, Turn Signal, High beam etc.
    just remove the top circuit board and begin replacing bulbs with leds

I use 8mm white on this one

Last edited by blackex; 09-30-2010, 12:49 PM.

Originally posted by 809king
    thats it? im going to do mine soon, once i get another cluster just in case
    half way there.

indicator are done. now getting circuit board prep ready to solder led in.
    I use 470 ohm smd resistor and 5050 smd led

here is led soldered in
    Last edited by blackex; 10-01-2010, 05:11 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by DJ metadelic
      they look awesome, in your sig. any completed pics?

http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...=152960&page=8onn

Got side track prep my car for paint. I'll continue this soon

I'm gonna use bulb socket as my power source connector, so just remove the bulb and plug it back in the cluster

test to make sure it plug in tight so it get good connection

use double sided tape to hold the board secure.

to save time I cut wire that goto the dome light and use as my test power source.

use ac/dc converter 12v , this one I found in my garage and just cut the end off and put clamb on as your positive and negative power

power it up to see every thing light up as it should. may have to switch the plug if they don't light up because led are polarized(positive
      have to connect to positive end of led same as negative)

to avoid dim spot on the RPM gauge I made small board to complete circle all around.

now time to make board for light source for the needle. I wanna try something difference.
      so I'll put Red and blue so I can change the color of the needle any time with a small switch.
      not the nicest board I made. but its 3am so it will work for now.

cut down solder in led, resister and drill hole in.

mount on like this
      Last edited by blackex; 10-21-2010, 06:40 PM.

Comment

what kind of needles are you using?

- 1993 Accord LX - White sedan (sold)
        - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (wrecked)
        - 1991 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
        - 1990 Accord EX - Grey sedan (sold)
        - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
        - 1992 Accord EX - White coupe (sold)
        - 1993 Accord EX - Grey coupe (stolen)
        - 1993 Accord SE - Gold coupe (sold)
        Current cars:
        - 2005 Subaru Legacy GT Wagon - Daily driver
        - 2004 Chevrolet Express AWD - Camper conversion

Comment

Originally posted by cp[mike] View Post
          what kind of needles are you using?
          good question. since I'm doing 2 color for the needle, I'm gonna go with white/clear because it will change to what ever led color is. this case its Red and Blue.
          finding one that is about the same length as oem. if its little long you can always cut it down.

to allow more light to pass thru for the needle. use drill to make the center hole
          little bit biger

here is how color of the needle will change with a switch.

get a lot of q-tip, acetone and towel. here is how I remove white tint from the back of the gauge.
          carefully wipe off the paint. don't let acetone touch the front of the gauge. it will take out the black
          paint to.

you're done

using blue transparent vinyl to cover spot I want it to be blue. I double the layer to get
          dark blue.

Last edited by blackex; 10-27-2010, 08:01 AM.

Comment

Test it out. check if I miss any spot or cover part of # so I can fix it.

looking good so far

Here is with needle on

Camera is not capturing color that good up close. It look much better
            than the photo.

Comment

How much would you charge to make these?

CB7Tuner Resident Gamer!
              PSN: JDMcb7TX

Comment

Wow.....

Yes my name is Dang, Don't use in vain
                1992 Honda Accord EX (Coupe/Bordeaux/Auto)
                1992 Honda Accord EX (Coupe/Bordeaux/H22A MT)
                2008 Honda Accord EXL (Coupe/SanMarino/6spd)

Comment

Originally posted by JDM_CB7_TX View Post
                  How much would you charge to make these?
                  200 probably
                  Last edited by blackex; 11-23-2010, 03:45 AM.

Comment

would you mind me asking where you get all your supplies from ? i.e leds, resistors, boards. but your work is lookin great

Comment

Originally posted by Gummiegorilla View Post
                      would you mind me asking where you get all your supplies from ? i.e leds, resistors, boards. but your work is lookin great
                      Ebay and radio shack. Thanks

Comment

How do you attach new needles on the motors?

Comment

Originally posted by MrSpeedy View Post
                          How do you attach new needles on the motors?
                          make sure new needle fit the motor pin, but fit snugly and still be able to pull
                          in and out.

install your gauge with out needle or clear plastic cover.

run the car til it warm up at idle. then plug in your RPM needle where it usually idle at. little under 1k usually you may have to do it few time to get it right that is why you don't want the needle stuck in the motor pin.

same thing with Temp. plug it in where it normal point to when warm.

gas / you have to drive a while til your gas low warning light come on then plug in you gas needle near empty mark.

speed / cruise with your boy with another car, preffered newer car. have his car cruise around 60 when his car cruise at that speed then you know to plug in your speed gauge at 60 also, less traffic the better. so you can do it safely as possible.

may have to do this few time till you happy with the needle position.
                          then you are done.

Comment

Originally posted by blackex View Post
                            make sure new needle fit the motor pin, but fit snugly and still be able to pull
                            in and out.

install your gauge with out needle or clear plastic cover.

run the car til it warm up at idle. then plug in your RPM needle where it usually idle at. little under 1k usually you may have to do it few time to get it right that is why you don't want the needle stuck in the motor pin.

same thing with Temp. plug it in where it normal point to when warm.

gas / you have to drive a while til your gas low warning light come on then plug in you gas needle near empty mark.

speed / cruise with your boy with another car, preffered newer car. have his car cruise around 60 when his car cruise at that speed then you know to plug in your speed gauge at 60 also, less traffic the better. so you can do it safely as possible.

may have to do this few time till you happy with the needle position.
                            then you are done.
                            Also, you could use a GPS with a speedo to get an accurate speed.

Have you thought about selling pre-made boards at all? I would be down to buy the set of boards with or without LED's on them. I'm thinking of making something with a 3 color LEDs to light the RPM needle up with. (Blue-normal, Green-VTEC, Red&Flashing-Shift light) It would most likey take some chip programing with its own little control box, but anything is possible.

Comment

Originally posted by EJX_Michael View Post
                              Also, you could use a GPS with a speedo to get an accurate speed.

Have you thought about selling pre-made boards at all? I would be down to buy the set of boards with or without LED's on them. I'm thinking of making something with a 3 color LEDs to light the RPM needle up with. (Blue-normal, Green-VTEC, Red&Flashing-Shift light) It would most likey take some chip programing with its own little control box, but anything is possible.
                              Your thinking about RGB led. it can be done. just have to make it worth my time
                              custom design the board just for one order.
                              around 80 buck.

Comment

Working...
                              X