INT: Repair power door locks (coupe)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

INT: Repair power door locks (coupe)

Does your driver door lock ( or passenger ) make a strange spinning sound when you press lock/unlock and not do anything? Or maybe somthing else is wrong with your lock actuator. Well this DIY is how to remove it and repair the gear inside of it ( if thats your problem )

Tools:
    Flat head screw driver
    Philips screw driver
    10mm ratchet

Step 1:

Remove your door panel. No need for pictures of this its easy, a few screws and clips and don't forget the one in the armrest pocket at the bottom

Step 2:
    Remove these rods, the purple clips need to be popped back and then the rod will pull out

Step 3: ( 10mm required )

Remove these 2 bolts for the door handle. Use the hole highlighted in green to remove the left bolt

Step 4:

Remove this rod

Step 5:

You need to take the door handle and turn it counterclockwise to unscrew it from this green highlighted screw

Step 6: ( philips required )

Remove these 3 screws. Use a large philips because they are very tight and you don't want to strip them.

Step 7:
    Pull the green rod in and try to turn it out. This part is hard. Don't use ALOT of force but force will be required

Step 8: ( philips required )
    Now that its out of the car remove these 3 screws

Step 9: ( philips and flat head required )
    Pry the peice apart to open it up and remove these 2 screws

Step 10:

The red circled gear is the problem. The plastic cover/spring broke apart on it, therfore it cannot creation tension to engage the other side of the gear to lock the door. The green highlighted thing is the sensor that detects if you lock the door via the keyhole outside or the lock plunger. If you break this switch ( as i did ) then you cannot lock all the doors via locking it from the outside. Not a big deal for me because i lock it from the inside via pulling the door handle open and pressing the switch

Step 11:
    This is the new gear vs the old gear. Notice the green highlighted hole with the spring missing because the cover broke off.

Step 12:

Put everything back together and plug it into the car without installing it. Test to see if it works right and locks the door. If so then reinstall everything.

Hope this helped anyone out there who needed to fix this.

great DIY..

did this a few years back on my sedan and just mcgyvered the plastic spring cover.. thus, my question.. where/how did you buy/repair that plastic spring cover?

Comment

Originally posted by casterX View Post
      great DIY..

did this a few years back on my sedan and just mcgyvered the plastic spring cover.. thus, my question.. where/how did you buy/repair that plastic spring cover?
      I just went to the junkyard and took apart a door lock there and kept the gear/cover thing. No sense in buying the whole thing when i only needed 1 gear lol.

Also the 9091 and 9293 actuators are different i found out. 9091 has 2 connectors and 9293 has one.

Comment

Nice DIY

92 cb7 http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=176886

91 cb9 wagon

Comment

Originally posted by Tippey764 View Post
          I just went to the junkyard and took apart a door lock there and kept the gear/cover thing. No sense in buying the whole thing when i only needed 1 gear lol.

Also the 9091 and 9293 actuators are different i found out. 9091 has 2 connectors and 9293 has one.

i'd do the same if junkyards weren't that far from me..
          which reminds me to get me one for reserve if and when the mcgyvered one fails..

Comment

Strange enough my driver door lock still sucks...

It won't lock or unlock fully if the door is open and im holding the handle, it gets stuck half way. It works fine when its closed though which is all that matters to me because i have keyless entry

Comment

Great DIY, good work with the pics. I'll copy that color masking effect on future DIYs, it's very helpful.

Comment

Originally posted by aluminum13 View Post
                Great DIY, good work with the pics. I'll copy that color masking effect on future DIYs, it's very helpful.
                lol all i used was paint brush and set the opacity down

Comment

Good job! Getting a lot of things done on the coupe from mechanic. The power locks never worked on this car so we were going to have them fix it, but so far the bill is at $2100. So I said it's not that important yet. But with this DIY, I might take up the challenge. Yet I don't think I'll even find a part at the junkyards around here. Also I saw another DIY on here that said a rubber plug was the fault. Who knows? On a coupe..Do both doors need to be repaired?

Old wagon - Silver '92 LX Wagon - Steve (Shadow)- STOLEN ON LABOR DAY 2012
                  New wagon- White '92 LX Wagon on 1/3/13 (Frostbite)

2000 EX Coupe - Joe -

www.AccordWagonClub.com
                  My Facebook Site - ACCORDOBSESSION

Comment

Originally posted by SilverShadow View Post
                    Good job! Getting a lot of things done on the coupe from mechanic. The power locks never worked on this car so we were going to have them fix it, but so far the bill is at $2100. So I said it's not that important yet. But with this DIY, I might take up the challenge. Yet I don't think I'll even find a part at the junkyards around here. Also I saw another DIY on here that said a rubber plug was the fault. Who knows? On a coupe..Do both doors need to be repaired?
                    A rubber plug?

It depends on why your power door locks arent working, if you hit the switch and nothing happens then its the grey box inside the driver door. You need to resolder it then

If you hit the switch and hear a gear spinning sound then follow this DIY

If you need to take off the door handle or replace this peice for any other reason then its still useful

Comment

good write up... mine has another problem though where they lock and unlock like crazy at random times... ended up locking my keys in once >< so i just pulled the fuse and locking them manualy..
                      Blake.
                      1994 Accord Part out!
                      Me and my step dad's 1991 Accord EX Coupe MRT

82 accord-rip, 94 geo-sold, 82 cavilier-rip,81 civic-rip,88 accord- rip, 88 legend- rip, 91 civic- sold,97 geo-sold, 92 accord- sold 94 accord- RIP, 1990 Camry- RIP

Comment

Sounds like my problem.

Sometimes it'll lock all the way sometimes halfway, i'll have to push it sometimes like 3 times before it'll lock fully.

Yes my name is Dang, Don't use in vain
                        1992 Honda Accord EX (Coupe/Bordeaux/Auto)
                        1992 Honda Accord EX (Coupe/Bordeaux/H22A MT)
                        2008 Honda Accord EXL (Coupe/SanMarino/6spd)

Comment

Great Write Up !!!

Any idea though why would the driverside lock button work all around , Yet whe the passengrr side lock is pressed it does nothing. Not even a sound like you discribed in your DYI...

Check Out My Work In Progess . . . . .

Comment

Originally posted by 10thAnnCB7 View Post
                            Great Write Up !!!

Any idea though why would the driverside lock button work all around , Yet whe the passengrr side lock is pressed it does nothing. Not even a sound like you discribed in your DYI...
                            Do you mean the manual lock or the power door lock button?

If you manually lock the driver door it will automatically lock all doors, this is only on the driver door though, Manually locking a passenger door will not automatically lock all the doors

If your pushing the power lock switch on the passenger side and nothing happens with any door then maybe the switch is bad

If only the passenger door dosent lock then maybe its unplugged or the motor went back that i repaired in my DIY

Comment

The gear is only from a coupe? can't take it from a sedan?

Yes my name is Dang, Don't use in vain
                              1992 Honda Accord EX (Coupe/Bordeaux/Auto)
                              1992 Honda Accord EX (Coupe/Bordeaux/H22A MT)
                              2008 Honda Accord EXL (Coupe/SanMarino/6spd)

Comment

Working...
                              X