Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

INT: Running speaker wire to doors

Special Thanks to Frootloops

The one problem I always had with the system I had in my cb7 was the speaker wires in my doors. I just had it running from the carpet to right behind the door panel. It worked, but it definitely looked like crap, I suppose it could even have been considered dangerous should it ever have frayed from my door opening and closing too many times.

Anyway, how to install 12 gauge speaker wire in your doors

Materials required
    Speaker wire (preferably 12 gauge. Probably at least 30 ft, depending on where your amp is)
    Wire cutters
    Flathead screwdriver
    Phillips screwdriver
    10 mm ratchet/socket and extensions

I started with the passenger's side

Step 1: Remove door skin
    I'm sure everyone can figure this out by themselves. If not, I'll describe in more detail

Step 2: Cut plastic crap out from the door
    All that white plastic that makes it impossible to access the window glass or anything. Get rid of it, make it go bye-bye

Step 3: Remove Glovebox

Step 4: Remove Blower Motor behind glovebox

Step 5: Access plug that goes to outside of car and run your wire through it

Step 6: Remove plastic wire cover attached to fender. Open it, and run wire through it.

Step 7: Run wire through the last rubber plug into the door

Now just finish pulling your wire into the door, and connect it to your speaker. Then you can have the fun job of reassembling everything and running the wire to your amp, then enjoying your new-found awesomeness.

Pics and instructions for driver's side will be up later

I wouldnt remove the plastic from the inside of the door

That keeps moisture out of the car because water DOES collect inside the door. it has drains in the bottom

Comment

Cools beans on the how to!

As for the vapor barrier/plastic, I think its up to the person as to whether or not they want to keep it and where they live. I know I can get away without it since I live in Idaho where we get like 10" of rain a year and I have had my CB without the vapor barrier for years without any issues. And yes I do wash my car, again not an issue.

I've also installed many speakers and sound deadening material in/on doors and I've ran across a few that it was so brittle it had literally fallen apart and nothing was there or someone else had removed it. In those cases when the person wanted it put back on, I installed new 10mil vinyl cut to the shape of the barrier. So that's another option if yours is brittle, torn, etc.

Anyways. nice writeup, can't wait for some pics.
      Click Image for CB7Tuner.com Beanies, Decals, & Keychains!

Comment

I was sound deadening the door at the same time hence the necessity to cut the plastic out. I'll be adding Luxury Liner Pro over it when I'm done so it won't hurt me to not have the plastic. I suppose it's not necessary to get your speaker wire through, you can get away with just pulling the speaker out.

Turns out my mom left the camera in her car. I can start getting pictures when she gets back. In the meantime I gotta go clean the tar and rubber mess off of myself from the factory insulation/added damplifier on my floor.

And does anyone else realize what a bitch it is to work with your only light source being a treble light and not even your dome light working?

Comment

i actually have pics of this but i did not cut any plastic parts. maybe pic will help so ill post them up.

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/boa.../page__st__560

the pics r there but ill post up here in a min

for me i had to take the fender off i have big hands

so what i did here is i got a grommet and ran it thu it where u see the wire and it will come out right below that big boot. and i ran it thu the main boot on the door then under the carpet and to my amps

and op sorry if u see this as thread jacking. im only trying to add to what u did since we did a simular thing

Comment

No problem, I just haven't been able to get pics up because a certain family member left the camera at work and I haven't gotten it back yet. I just opted not to take off the fender though cause that's a bit of a pain, but so is anything else to access that area tbh.

Comment

For the plastic behind the panels, should you reuse the glue(Assuming you want to keep it)?
              MRT
              37.5 MPG, AC on, cruising at 80.
              30.0 MPG, AC on, aggressively driving around 90.
              27.5 MPG, no AC, cruising at 90 with occasional gridlock. 40 degrees Fahrenheit

Lots of DIY videos specifically for our car

Get some awesome wipers! <-- It's a DIY
              Originally posted by Tippey764
              I think driving your car naked will cause the engine to overheat
              Originally posted by deevergote
              sneaky motherfucker

Comment

Originally posted by GeoffMisiak View Post
                For the plastic behind the panels, should you reuse the glue(Assuming you want to keep it)?
                Depends on if it's still sticky. If it is, yeah go for it!
                Click Image for CB7Tuner.com Beanies, Decals, & Keychains!

Comment

If it's not, where might you find replacement glue?
                  And is there an actual name?
                  MRT
                  37.5 MPG, AC on, cruising at 80.
                  30.0 MPG, AC on, aggressively driving around 90.
                  27.5 MPG, no AC, cruising at 90 with occasional gridlock. 40 degrees Fahrenheit

Lots of DIY videos specifically for our car

Get some awesome wipers! <-- It's a DIY
                  Originally posted by Tippey764
                  I think driving your car naked will cause the engine to overheat
                  Originally posted by deevergote
                  sneaky motherfucker

Comment

I recently ran a custom mirror control harness from my driver door into the cabin.

I took some photos to share in this thread.

This gray plastic housing keeps the wires strapped against the inner fender, preventing the harness from fraying and rubbing against the door and outer fender. The clips on this gray plastic housing can be problematic when comes time for removal. They're attached with pressure clips that grip horizontally. Use a small flathead to pry them out, if possible. If they break, you can drill holes into the housing and use a different type of pressure clip.

If you don't want to run wires through the grommet as shown in the pics above, pull out the rubber wiring passages on both the door and inner fender. Take care when prying them out, because they're 20 year-old rubber components; and may crack or tear if forcibly yanked out. Remove the old electric tape and run your wiring from the door into the cabin, and through both rubber passages.

Door side.

If you remove these rubber passages, it might be a good idea to clean off their mounting points.

Retape with 3M Super 33, 88, or higher electrical tape to ensure integrity against the elements. Surround the rubber passages' edges with silicone to ensure their security.

Last edited by Joshy; 05-19-2011, 10:58 AM.
                    My pictures/photos will return soon...

Comment

This really helps thanks man!

Comment

Working...
                      X