EXT: DRL insight wiring

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

EXT: DRL insight wiring

after getting a lot of wiring requests, i took the time to make an actual diagram for everyone. from what i know of the insight module and the ground-switched system our cars use, this is what i came up with. please note that i've never physically installed one prior to this diagram. this is not 100% guranteed to work until someone confirms that it does. i'm pretty sure i'll work though .

SOURCE: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...hlight=insight

the link above mainly shows how to wire JDM headlights using the H4 bulb as the low beam/high beam and the H1 bulb as a dedicated DRL. what about the people who have USDM headlights or those who don't want to use the dual filament on their H4 bulbs? they don't have a choice but to use their highbeam as the DRL. of course the main function of the highbeam should not be lost. here is where i come in.

DRL insight wiring legend:
    Black = Ground
    Red = 12 volts from battery
    Pink = Ignition input (provides 12v only when the ignition is in the "ON" position)
    Yellow = supplies low beams with reduced power from module
    White = supplies module with disable signal when high beams are turned on
    Orange = supplies module with disable signal when parking brake is on (this is optional)

the wiring below shows how to wire it though the result does NOT function like an OEM DRL would. my diagram has a manual switch so you can actually control when the DRL turns on (even when the lowbeams are on or the car is off). be careful not to leave it on when you leave!

if you would like it to function like an OEM DRL (no manual switch, on with ignition, off with lowbeams), simply connect the pink wire to a 12v ignition input and tap the white wire to the positive wire of the high beam wiring harness. the orange wire is optional.

some people, like myself, would like their DRLs on with the low beams and have some control over it. with the manual switch, you can accomplish this. i didn't use the white and orange wires since the use of the relays eliminates them. there probably is a relay inside the module itself but i used the external SDPT relays just to be safe. remember i never installed one before. the relays also enable the normal use of the highbeams!

please don't hesitate to let me know if i made a mistake somewhere or if my diagram can be simplifed. cpmike again i'm looking in your direction.

note from rebels:

here is the sheet cpmike made back in the day that is VERY helpful! hope this all helps you out.. and this is now a sticky.

Attached Files
    Last edited by rebels; 06-22-2005, 12:40 AM.
    1cor10:31
    - 92 LX coupe
    - 96 EX wagon (sold)

that is AWESOME. Thanks for the diagram. I wish I were "wiring smart"

If anyone is wanting to try this.. I have 6 extra SPDT relays. I bought them in a pack because I was going to add an extra siren to my alarm, and people said they wanted them. I'll find a picture of what they look like, they are pretty nice.

heres a pic.. i'll keep it as a link to not screw up the thread. the relay is the little box thing and the wires. So I have 3 sets that I can sell each coming with 2 relays and 2 pigtails. I'll delete this part after they are sold.

PLEASE DONT RESPOND TO ME FOR THE RELAYS IN THIS THREAD, Just PM me to keep this thread on topic.

Comment

Thanks Timmy....Now I can finally install mines
      "The Fresh One"

Comment

Another quick Question, would any 30 amp relay work?
        "The Fresh One"

Comment

Originally posted by DFresh19864
          Another quick Question, would any 30 amp relay work?
          as long as it was a 5 plug spdt...

and i'm not too sure about the way you have that wired up.... i'm still looking at it..

on the spdt relay,
          85 = ground
          30 = positive in
          86 = switch
          87 = positive out when switch is on
          87a = positive out when switch is off...

so i don't know if that wiring diagram will work. It just doesn't seem to make sense to me, but I could be wrong, and you could have it all right. I don't know what the wires from the insight kit do...
          Last edited by dwf137; 05-30-2005, 04:02 PM.
          --JDM F22A--

JDM schmeDM, these lights are DIY-DM.

Comment

thats not how i did mine but thats cool with the 2 relay idea... i've had mine for about 2 months now and its cool... i can switch from high beam only to low beam only or to both on at the same time using our regular switch and no other switch necessary...

Comment

Originally posted by srsskyline
              thats not how i did mine but thats cool with the 2 relay idea... i've had mine for about 2 months now and its cool... i can switch from high beam only to low beam only or to both on at the same time using our regular switch and no other switch necessary...
              how did you wire it? i'm thinking there is a relay or relays already built in so there is no need to add the external ones. the disable signal wires are probably using those relays. i placed the external ones just to be safe. remember, my wiring diagram doesn't use the disable signal wires. also remember that i've never wired one before.
              - 92 LX coupe
              - 96 EX wagon (sold)

Comment

Bump.. anyone installed them? Wanna make sure its all good before I do it.

Comment

dont u still need to isolate the highs from the lows, i remember i tried that and the lows turned on as well...so i had to diode isolate the wires with a 6a diode.
                  What makes me laugh about forums, is that no matter how much you try to help someone, they dont take the advice. Go ahead and do it the hard way.

You got to respect what you drive, and appreciate what you have, making the best of what you got. and if that means putting CAI, HID's, a phat stereo system, and a idiot in the drivers seat...then so be it!

Retro!

Hater

I love nooBs...They make me look good

Comment

Havent installed mine yet...Im waiting to get some upgraded wires so it doesnt burn out
                    "The Fresh One"

Comment

im surprised i havent posted in this thread yet.

anyway the diagram you made is exactly what i came up with in my head, by theory it should work- i had accordztech try to hook it up, but its hard to explain and troubleshoot over the internet across the country... he never got it working...

anyway the diagram that i made that rebels gave you is ONLY FOR JDM HEADLIGHTS, just so you all know. it was my original method when i installed them on my JDMs and it worked perfectly, ive never installed the insight DRL module on USDM headlgihts.

- 1993 Accord LX - White sedan (sold)
                      - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (wrecked)
                      - 1991 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
                      - 1990 Accord EX - Grey sedan (sold)
                      - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
                      - 1992 Accord EX - White coupe (sold)
                      - 1993 Accord EX - Grey coupe (stolen)
                      - 1993 Accord SE - Gold coupe (sold)
                      Current cars:
                      - 2005 Subaru Legacy GT Wagon - Daily driver
                      - 2004 Chevrolet Express AWD - Camper conversion

Comment

Why, Why, Why all thats needed to run DRLs is 1 relay run an acess on to teh relay, ground it, power it and splice 1 wire to heach headlight, total cost $5

Comment

Originally posted by Legacy Accord
                          Why, Why, Why all thats needed to run DRLs is 1 relay run an acess on to teh relay, ground it, power it and splice 1 wire to heach headlight, total cost $5
                          technically, yes. and then to add highbeam and ebrake cutoff functionality, add $10. and then to run them at reduced 9v instead of 12v like OEM DRLs, add another $5. then add a bunch of quick disconnects to hook up the relays, add $5... hello $25. for that price id rather order the all-in-one pre-heatsinked, pre-wired insight unit (which mounts directly to those two posts on the center of the firewall on 5spd cars i might add)...

- 1993 Accord LX - White sedan (sold)
                          - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (wrecked)
                          - 1991 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
                          - 1990 Accord EX - Grey sedan (sold)
                          - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
                          - 1992 Accord EX - White coupe (sold)
                          - 1993 Accord EX - Grey coupe (stolen)
                          - 1993 Accord SE - Gold coupe (sold)
                          Current cars:
                          - 2005 Subaru Legacy GT Wagon - Daily driver
                          - 2004 Chevrolet Express AWD - Camper conversion

Comment

Hey yall, I was bored today so I tried to install the DRL' s on the USDMS but i came into a small problem. I have a switch and everything just like timmy's diagram says, but when I went to connect to red wire to the battery, My lowbeams were the DRL's, so Im like HUH! I didnt even touch the low beam wires so why would they come on. By the way I only hooked up one side, so would that cause it to do this or no?
                            "The Fresh One"

Comment

thanks for being the first one to try my method there doug. are you sure you followed my wiring diagram to the tee? it seems like it would work but i know that our cars use a ground-switching system (thanks mike for pointing that out to me months ago). that means that ALL the positive wires get a current at the flip of the switch. the ground actually completes the circuit depending on the position of the switch.

this could be why your lowbeams are coming on. i have yet to mess around with this type of switching system. are your lowbeams on at half wattage? do they turn off with the maunal switch? answer these and when i get home, i'll take a look at the wiring diagrams for the car and further troubleshoot from there.
                              - 92 LX coupe
                              - 96 EX wagon (sold)

Comment

Working...
                              X