Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

EXT: LED bumper lenses

semi DIY

first of all grab your handy dandy led work tools! ( made me a home depot grille :P [ on the side you can see my grill in progress ] )

next grab your lucky honda emblem, resistors and leds

then you want to grab your solderer, glue gun, rosin, and flux

then you want to drill 12 holes, 9 in the bigger part and 3 in the lesser part, then you put the leds in those holes and glue gun them. run pos wires so there are three rows, like so and three neg rows, connect the correct resistor to it a the very end (refer to the next couple of pictures) and then break a bulb solder the neg to neg pos to pos and voila there you have it.

( P.S. sorry for the very lame how to instructions as i already did this a while back before i took the pictures, it took me a while to do this so im very proud of my work ) if anyone has any questions let me know.

and as for a video clip of the led bumper blinkers in action here ya go ( i made two sets, one for my clear ones and one for my amber ones ) the ones pictured in the video are the ones on my car the led ones.

Last edited by 19accord92; 07-25-2007, 11:43 PM.

so, are these just replacements for regular bulbs?

whats with the "lucky" honda emblem?

Comment

uhhh yah, if you bought the crappy replacement 1156 leds or whatever they wouldnt light up nearly as bright as these. those ones you buy are lit up in only one direction so traffic from that diretion will only be able to see where you're turning the best. these ones are more separated out.

Comment

yeah...lets see some pics of these actually turned on?

to see if this is reallly worth it...you know, see whatcha gonna get before you do it.

nah mean?

Comment

They look great. So you just broke a stock bumper light bulb, and connected the wires to that? Have any problems with hyperblinker, or are they fine?

I have always wanted to do something in LED's... ideally a set of tails, but never have the time or patience to do something like that.

What kind of LED's did you use, just wondering what kind are the brightest if one was to do an LED tail light, and also, can you see your bumper lenses in the daylight?

Comment

I mean hey nice DIY writeup.

But if you wanted to make a true LED conversion, you shouldve just made it easier on yourself and go to SuperBrightLEDs.com

SuperBright LEDs- Tail/Turn Bulbs

Also in that link is the Electronic LED flasher , it replaces your stock one and its a better alternative rather than a 12volt resistor that they offer which is around 12 dollars.

We now offer 2-Pin and 3-Pin (1/4 inch spade lug type) LED compatible Flasher Units in this category
            You should definitely use one of these instead of Load Resistors if we have one to fit your vehicle
            They operate at the correct flash rate with LED or standard filament bulbs
            10~15 Volts DC - Flash Rate: 80 per minute
            Henry R
            Koni/Neuspeed
            1992 Accord LX R.I.P
            1993 Accord EX OG since 'o3
            Legend FSM

'You see we human beings are not born with prejudices, always they are made for us,
            made by someone who wants something' -1943 US War Department video

Comment

first off, had no problems with hyper blinking as soon as i made my own load resistor. all i had to do was make two 3 ohm 50 watt resistors in series and made it into a 6 ohm 50 watt load resistor. then i connected one side of the resistor to the positive and the other side to the negative. doing this caused a load resistor and stopped the hyper blinking. on the back side, i have the 1156 / 1157 LED lights that you can buy, but right now i am currently making a set of red/clear tails by myself and fabricating an LED plate that goes in between the plastic. as for the amber, i didnt have them on because im not an amber kind of guy, i just have them because im worried that if i get pulled over, i'll get a fix it ticket, and i could just replace them with my amber ones.

Comment

Originally posted by Accrdkid
                I mean hey nice DIY writeup.

But if you wanted to make a true LED conversion, you shouldve just made it easier on yourself and go to SuperBrightLEDs.com

SuperBright LEDs- Tail/Turn Bulbs

Also in that link is the Electronic LED flasher , it replaces your stock one and its a better alternative rather than a 12volt resistor that they offer which is around 12 dollars.
                like i said, those leds you buy at that website only point straight, therefore when it blinks, only the cars in front will notice that you have them on. plus the right bulb wont fit in the bumper signal place. so i just decided to make my own for kicks n giggles. so when it blinks, the leds are shown at different angles.

Comment

Originally posted by aero
                  They look great. So you just broke a stock bumper light bulb, and connected the wires to that? Have any problems with hyperblinker, or are they fine?

I have always wanted to do something in LED's... ideally a set of tails, but never have the time or patience to do something like that.

What kind of LED's did you use, just wondering what kind are the brightest if one was to do an LED tail light, and also, can you see your bumper lenses in the daylight?

i used 15kmcd super bright leds off of ebay ( from hong kong ) for the tail lights, i'd have to go even brighter, i am looking around right now so...

Comment

Originally posted by 19accord92
                    like i said, those leds you buy at that website only point straight, therefore when it blinks, only the cars in front will notice that you have them on. plus the right bulb wont fit in the bumper signal place. so i just decided to make my own for kicks n giggles. so when it blinks, the leds are shown at different angles.

True but it also says:
                    The unique design of our 24 LED bulbs feature 18 LEDs aiming out the end plus 6 radially mounted LEDs aiming out the sides. This produces a more complete and even lens fill than conventional LED bulbs
                    Henry R
                    Koni/Neuspeed
                    1992 Accord LX R.I.P
                    1993 Accord EX OG since 'o3
                    Legend FSM

'You see we human beings are not born with prejudices, always they are made for us,
                    made by someone who wants something' -1943 US War Department video

Comment

Originally posted by Accrdkid
                      True but it also says:
                      six of them pointed at the reflective lense is not as bright as how many i have pointing outwards. truth is, no matter what type of 1156 concotion of leds you buy, doing it yourself on a plate will be better.

Comment

Is this guy still on the site? I wanna see the turn signals but the link won't come up. I would love to do this
                        Maple50175 - you're annoying =P
                        Brandoncb7 - I don't mean to come across like an ass but I see why you irritate Aaron now.
                        JoshM - Crotch rocket = chick magnet.

Comment

yeah lol im still here, amazing i found my old thread again lol... i still have those blinker movie files on my comp i'll upload it in a second.

EDIT: oh yeah, filelodge died along with my pictures... gah.

Comment

I see you just drilled the holes and put the leds in. Not too bad.
                            Maple50175 - you're annoying =P
                            Brandoncb7 - I don't mean to come across like an ass but I see why you irritate Aaron now.
                            JoshM - Crotch rocket = chick magnet.

Comment

Do you happen to have a comparason of these on one side and the stock setup on the other side of the car? Might give everyone a better idea of the output difference.. Later

Comment

Working...
                              X