DIY: Day Time Running Lights(DRL)-EASY!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DIY: Day Time Running Lights(DRL)-EASY!

Found this on honda-tech and I think it helps those that want DRL without all the crazy wiring and module finding.

Originally posted by cd5_2NR

1. i started out with the sockets..they were an extra set from my OEM ones..i cut them off since my blackhousing only requires 1 set...also ive heard of people using sidemarker bulb sockets too...

2. picked up some 194's at walmart...mines were clear--but you can buy them in amber or find them at any autoparts store that has them colored...

3. picked up a toggle switch at walmart for 1.99 or so...
    mines is a light up one...i prefer the non-lit ones though

4. next...removed bumper...bumper support ( 4 bolts )...then grill...then headlights...

5. then i found a spot to drill/dremel...this is about your only option due to the inner housing angles and what not...but im sure you could find a spot elsewhere...
    also...the driver side headlight...you might run into some issues with the windshield wiper fluid tube thingy....where you refill the window cleaner...i had to disconnect mine and move it out of the way...so right now its sorta just hanging there...

i used a drill to make the hole..then used these dremel bits....the cone shaped one is what i used to enlarge the hole...then i used the other tool to make the grooves to fit the socket in...just make sure to check fitment while sanding the edges out so it wont end up too big...

and this is what i finished up with...

heres what your cutout should look like...
    some sockets will use 3 notches...the 194's are normally 2 which make it easier..you should end up with something like this...( note--one of the notches should be bigger than the other )

here's what they look like from the front...

6. next step was to prewire everything to make sure everything worked...
    the toggle switch is labeled... ACC - POWER - GRND, some are in different order

then i hooked up the toggle switch and found a location to mount it...from here you have several options on wiring...i wired my toggle switch ( POWER ) to the cruise control button's hotwire...( RED WIRE ) which is also connected to the battery and a
    relay...the ACC which is accessory, was hooked up to the 2 socket's RED WIRE...and of course..the GRND--i just found a ground...

heres where i mounted mine...

i ran a test...turn on battery...flip the switch..and your 194's should be lit... :thumbup: :thumbup:

here are some pics of them shortly after...
    just the city lights on...

:thumbup: :thumbdown:

Modified by cd5_2NR at 2:40 PM 5/9/2007
    Going to try this in a week or two but place the bulb in my high beams, just need to figure out the wiring because i have no cruise control.

yeah man ive been wonderin about this. my brother has sumthin like this on his 07 E-class. i love how they look but never knew where to drill on the lights. Let us know how it goes.

Comment

they need to be brighter, but thats hot...!

Comment

Originally posted by StoobyMcDooby
        they need to be brighter, but thats hot...!

X2...my daytime runing lights are my lowbeams (converted @ a Honda Dealership)...

a higher watt light bulb would make it sweet
        DEVOTE

Comment

yea i just remembered that 194 bulbs are invisible at the day light ahah

i'll just do it for the night time effect.

Comment

Originally posted by ikayto
            yea i just remembered that 194 bulbs are invisible at the day light ahah

i'll just do it for the night time effect.
            good luck wilson, let us know how it goes

Comment

LEDs would be nice. like a 50,000 mcd or brighter

Originally posted by kc8enb07
              does it come w/ jdm trash? they better throw away gold in it

Comment

i need help wiring these though because I have no cruise control, what could I do damien?

Comment

Originally posted by ikayto
                  i need help wiring these though because I have no cruise control, what could I do damien?
                  just find a 12V source.

and theres no mention of fuses anywhere?
                  Last edited by Cb7GHOST; 07-17-2007, 03:18 PM.

Originally posted by kc8enb07
                  does it come w/ jdm trash? they better throw away gold in it

Comment

he said it attached to the cruise control power because it had a relay, i guess if you didnt run it off of the cc then you might want to run an inline fuse or something, but most of the wires you would tap into should have sometype of fuse and since leds and 194s dont pull too much you shouldnt worry about popping the fuse you tap into, but i could be wrong lol

Frost White CB7 Crew - Member #41

92 ex 5spd

Comment

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm not a bad idea. i will go with a color no 1 really rocks. mayb like a blue by day SILVER STARS white BRIGHTS by night (thats wat i have)
                      **Blk Housed Slut Crew Member #1**

**Don't b scared be prepared for the worst**
                      Da Drizzle's Sedan - Dr. Diy's Blk Housed Thread

'90 2Tone Coupe-Car Heaven_'89 Lude-Junk Yard
                      Mostly Usdm, some Jdm,Edm,&Puerto Rican RICE

Comment

nice! ...i did a similiar thing to the high beam a few months back.
                        Project M3 - http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=157903
                        -(B-Pillar Bar Originator)-

Comment

all of it sounds like cool shit. I would not mind doint it either.
                          Leaving the game!

Comment

Originally posted by cali-racer
                            nice! ...i did a similiar thing to the high beam a few months back.
                            elaborate ;p

highs on a switch?

Comment

Nice DIY
                              Project EP hatch on the way

Comment

Working...
                              X