ENG: Gutting stock intake

Alright well i did this DIY today and its really simple

Tools needed:
    Dremel and cutoff wheel (Makes it go quick), I hacksaw may work im not sure
    10mm socket and socket wrench with extension
    Phillips head screw driver

Approximate time:
    15-30 minutes

Here is what it looks like before i started, everybodys should look like this

This is after i pulled the bottom half of the box out, you wont touch the top cover because that has to stay tight with the air filter in the end so it won't suck contaminates into the engine

This is the two parts after i cut it with the dremel, like i said earlier the dremel makes it go really quick so i would suggest using one.. As you can see all you do is cut around the very top but go around the three mounting points, making the bottom one look more like a bracket, there are only two bolts, the bottom one just slides over the little nipple thing so it wont move around.. (Yea as you can tell my filter was extremely dirty. gotta love the desert..)

I trimmed it up a little bit more and just took some sand paper to the edges to smooth them up a bit and here's the finished product

Here it is installed back in the car

Yes that filter is dirty but i replaced it about thirty minutes after the pic was taken

From the top it looks OEM still but at WOT it sounds all kinds of deep plus you get some more air into the engine.. the top half still bolts up just like it did before.

Here is the extra parts.. I just took off the two tubes that connected to the intake box but this weekend im going to take out the rest of the tubes and the useless air box thats behind the bumper on the passenger side..

Hope this helps guys,
    Disclamer: I am not responsible for anything that happens to your car, Do at your own risk. Thank you
    Last edited by blackedout; 04-25-2008, 12:29 AM.
    R.I.P. Landon Hilburn 06-27-08

Soon to enter the family.
    CG Coupe!

92 Accord EX Sedan (Newest project)

Members ride thread 92 EX Sedan
    Members ride thread old 91 LX Coupe

Good DIY, Looks stock but works better! One question, what is that sensor thing on the box. When I took aout my old airbox it had a wire and an electric plug attahced to it. I just disconnected the wire and tucked it away near the headlight. Do you know what I'm talking about?

H22 Fund Cancelled. Flight training underway.

Comment

um.... no air filter?

Comment

Originally posted by Scubasteve_dan
        Good DIY, Looks stock but works better! One question, what is that sensor thing on the box. When I took aout my old airbox it had a wire and an electric plug attahced to it. I just disconnected the wire and tucked it away near the headlight. Do you know what I'm talking about?

Yea i know what your talking about my 91 had that but this one didn't yea i just tucked it away as well and nothing ever happend so all was good

Originally posted by 501accord
        um.... no air filter?
        Yes the OEM air filter is still in the stock locationg just as i mentioned earlier in the thread as to not touch the top part of the airbox so it can stay sealed with the filter.. Your stock airbox pulls air from the bottom up throught the filter trapping any contaminates in the filter before entering the intake manifold area in turn damaging internal engine components over time.. As stated earlier the stock air box is still in the same location hints to why you don't cut up past the top part so the filter still sets in and the top part still mounts good..

CG Coupe!

Comment

Wow.. something new..
          With my 93 Accord (sold) I just took out the resonator.
          Not much improvement and I didn't like it.
          1st car: Frost White 1991 Accord EX sedan.. (Dec. 1999 ~ Jan. 2001) *Sold*
          2nd car: Black Pearl 1993 Accord 10th Anniversary sedan (Feb. 10, 2003 ~ Mar. 8, 2008) *Sold*
          3rd car: Frost White 1992 Accord EX sedan (Jan. 15, 2008 ~ Aug. 12, 2008) *RIP*
          4th car: Seattle Silver 1991 Accord EX coupe 5MT (Aug. 13, 2011 ~ Mar. 19, 2014) *Sold*
          5th car: Black Pearl 1994 Accord LX coupe 5MT (Mar. 1, 2014 ~ )

Comment

i like this idea. great DIY
            92accord803

Comment

maybe i should go get myself another bottom half of the airbox so i can try this. kinda works like a heat shield too.

Comment

yea i love it, it sounds great and kinda feels like the car isn't as sluggish off the line, kinda like it gets a little more getup at the beginning. Plus i know it gets alot more air cuz the car idles a little higher now

CG Coupe!

Comment

Why waste your time, just get a proper short ram or just stick a cone filter on the end of the tube, this just looks ghetto my 2cents
                  wat?

Comment

looks OEM from the top and cost all of zero dollars thats why i do it thanks for your 2 cents

CG Coupe!

Comment

I did this to both my accords. I just love the look of the stock piping, and something about having a short ram or a cold air doesn't look right to me, so this is a perfect DIY for me. Not to mention how the stock tubing is tapered (thanks granite cb7!)

^^click it or ticket^^

Comment

Originally posted by CB7lx91
                        I did this to both my accords. I just love the look of the stock piping, and something about having a short ram or a cold air doesn't look right to me, so this is a perfect DIY for me. Not to mention how the stock tubing is tapered (thanks granite cb7!)
                        yea im the same way, i love the look of the stock airbox and such

CG Coupe!

Comment

wow! free is always good! good job sir.
                          hey. my cb7 has morphed. haha.

Comment

why not just take out the resonator and those stupid pipes that connect to it? anybody that takes off their front bumper should do it..its only a 3-5 min detour and it doesnt hurt the car AT ALL..but it does hurt peoples feelings when they hear what it sounds like with out the box
                            Team DFTFC
                            Northern Virginia 703
                            Member rides thread

Comment

Originally posted by xCB7 VA SP4R10x
                              why not just take out the resonator and those stupid pipes that connect to it? anybody that takes off their front bumper should do it..its only a 3-5 min detour and it doesnt hurt the car AT ALL..but it does hurt peoples feelings when they hear what it sounds like with out the box
                              You don't need to take off the bumper IIRC.
                              wat?

Comment

Working...
                              X