ENG: Beauty Washers for your Engine bay

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ENG: Beauty Washers for your Engine bay

Here is what I mean when I say beauty washers.

They're just little rings around the allen head. No real purpose but to clean up your engine bay.

Now dont go run off buying $30 washers for $30 from password jdm LULZ.

You can goto a Ace Hardware or Order online for

Finishing washers or Counter Sink Washers at a fraction of the price!

Originally posted by KYLE.ECKERT
    Here is a post i put in the engine bay thread a while back. Just wanted to put it in this thread in case anyone wanted to know where to order them online.
    I had a little time off of work and this is what boredom has brought. I wanted a cheap, simple project and saw that this bolt question gets asked all the time. So this is what I came up w/.

This is the link for the flat head allen bolts (m6 x 20) the pic shows it not threaded the whole way but it is. Only .19 cents each!!

http://www.fastenal.com/web/pr...rtial

This is the link for the countersunk stainless washer. The allen bolt sets perfectly inside of it. Only .08 cents each!!!

http://www.fastenal.com/web/pr...71161

Here are a couple pics for reference...I'll get a better shoot up when the bay and lighting are better suited.

For the anodized look I just used Duplicolors MetalCast system. I stuck the bolts in a piece of cardboard and sanded the heads w/ 400 grit. Then just followed the directions on the cans.

Plain...3 ground coats...4 anodized coats

All in all it is a cheap easy way to show some attention to detail. Hope this helps!

Enjoy, I just did this to my rear lip as it was sagging and didnt want just a plain ugly bolt visible so this really made it look professional.

I'm sorry if it seems like all the DIYs I post are just copy/paste but I just wanted to share with you guys.
    Last edited by ikayto; 08-04-2008, 05:27 PM.

I had the PWJDM ones on my 240.
    Very easy and subtle way to clean up your engine bay.

Definitely the perfect finishing touch on a wire tucked bay.

1999 BMW M3
    2001 Honda CR-V SE RT4WD
    2005 Chevrolet Tahoe Z71
    2015 Suzuki V-Strom 650

Comment

And I was gonna order some too...

Nice info ikayto...

Trev.
      RETIRED...

Comment

That's pretty neat...and it is the little details.

On my friend's gf's car...he sandblasted all the bolts in the bay and then powdercoated them with a clearcoat...looked really nice.

Comment

i did this is my car, but with black hex-cap bolts and stainless steel washers. i think it looks pretty cool, but i'm eventually going to change the washers out for some ones i make on a lathe to fit the hex-caps.

Click for my Member's Ride Thread
          Originally posted by Stephen Fry
          'It's now very common to hear people say, "I'm rather offended by that", as if that gives them certain rights. It's no more than a whine. It has no meaning, it has no purpose, it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. "I'm offended by that." Well, so fucking what?' —Stephen Fry
          Eye Level Media - Commercial & Automotive Photography: www.EyeLevelSTL.com

Comment

Originally posted by steelbluesleepR View Post
            i did this is my car, but with black hex-cap bolts and stainless steel washers. i think it looks pretty cool, but i'm eventually going to change the washers out for some ones i make on a lathe to fit the hex-caps.
            That's going to be a lot of work lol but if you like it .

It'd be 3x easier to just buy some 9 cent washers that fit.

Comment

Originally posted by ikayto View Post
              That's going to be a lot of work lol but if you like it .

It'd be 3x easier to just buy some 9 cent washers that fit.
              i know, but i've spent much more time other places for a lot less return! after i get it set up, each washer shouldnt take me but a minute or less anyway.

Click for my Member's Ride Thread
              Originally posted by Stephen Fry
              'It's now very common to hear people say, "I'm rather offended by that", as if that gives them certain rights. It's no more than a whine. It has no meaning, it has no purpose, it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. "I'm offended by that." Well, so fucking what?' —Stephen Fry
              Eye Level Media - Commercial & Automotive Photography: www.EyeLevelSTL.com

Comment

Originally posted by steelbluesleepR View Post
                i know, but i've spent much more time other places for a lot less return! after i get it set up, each washer shouldnt take me but a minute or less anyway.
                for sure and it'll be almost impossible to strip the head of the hex than it is with the ones in this diy.

Comment

Dude! Props to you! that I really like the PwJDM ones but yours look just as chill

Comment

Anyone tried painting the finish washers instead of the bolts?
                    I'm affraid it's just going to chip out when I stick an allen wrench into it.. :\

Comment

Originally posted by RacH22 View Post
                      Anyone tried painting the finish washers instead of the bolts?
                      I'm affraid it's just going to chip out when I stick an allen wrench into it.. :\
                      I think it should hold up fine, people on honda-tech have been using the metal cast primer and have been getting good results.

Comment

such a good idea....remind me back while i was playing r/c car last time.....

hhrmmm,got to do this on my engine bay soon....
                        -My Member Ride thread-
                        -JL store-

Comment

I just did this, i bought 30 bolts and 30 washers from the local fastenal. I did almost every 10mm bolt in the engine bay and painted the beauty with blue metal cast turned out really nice.

Comment

Originally posted by 90Cb7sleeper View Post
                            I just did this, i bought 30 bolts and 30 washers from the local fastenal. I did almost every 10mm bolt in the engine bay and painted the beauty with blue metal cast turned out really nice.
                            any pic?
                            -My Member Ride thread-
                            -JL store-

Comment

i did the diy today and it came out pretty clean ill try and get some pics up soon

http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=91030 <--MY RIDE!
                              http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=140230 <--MY ongoing ENGINE BUILD!..

Comment

Working...
                              X