Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ENG: **NEW** using stock intake tube with 3" cone for RAM AIR

Hey guys,

I just did this mod, and I was looking for a similiar thread. I Found the one in here about doing exactly what I did, however it was over 3 years old and NONE of the pictures worked. Also I found an easier way to do it. So I thought I'd share my 20min DIY ram intake.

1. Take out 2 screws that hold down the stock airbox, they are metric, i forget exact size.

2. Second unscrew the "clamp" that holds the stock airbox to the intake tube.

3. Pull the stock air box out and now you are left with a bare tube.

4. Go to autozone and get this
    http://www.autozone.com/R,1968970/store,697/initialAction,accessoryProductDetail/shopping/accessoryProductDetail.htm

It comes in red, blue, white and sometimes yellow.

5. The air filter comes with adapters for 4", 3.5", and 3".
    Insert the 3.5" adapter into the cone and put the STOCK INTAKE TUBE *INTO* the air filter. Tighten everything down using the clamp provided with the air filter(it should be already attached).

6. DONE

I'll take pictures tonight ETA: PICTURES ADDED

Last edited by 90Haccord; 08-13-2008, 07:11 PM. Reason: added pictures
    90 accord EX automatic F22A4 232,500
    DIY ram intake
    0gauge/4gauge BIG 3
    stock alt rewound to 120amps
    optima orange top 830cca 1030ca
    fully synthetic valvoline "Max Life" 5w30

Other rides:
    2004 Jeep Liberty v6
    2001 Honda civic ex coupe 1.7 vtec

don't forget to clean it up by removing the quarter panel and taking out the resonator down there

^^click it or ticket^^

Comment

I didn't take anything out BUT the stock airbox. Doing this purely for MPG gain, no performance whatsoever. SO I suppose this should really be called a "WARM AIR INTAKE" aka ram intake. Got any pictures of what else you suggest I should take out?
      DIY ram intake
      0gauge/4gauge BIG 3

Other rides:
      2004 Jeep Liberty v6

Comment

I did this on my car, just recently took it off to replace it with an AEM sri with an AEM filter. It sounded pretty growly under heavy acceleration.

Comment

I like it, its a simple mod, but once again, I'm wanting MPG not performance. If I get some, great, if not, oh well, looks neato in the engine bay.
          DIY ram intake
          0gauge/4gauge BIG 3

Other rides:
          2004 Jeep Liberty v6

Comment

I agree. Looks much better than the stock air box.

Comment

Pics added

comments welcome
              DIY ram intake
              0gauge/4gauge BIG 3

Other rides:
              2004 Jeep Liberty v6

Comment

Very simple and nice DIY!!!! I should do this myself.

Comment

It was cake man, seriously I put this off for so long b/c I thought it was going to be a pain in the ass. I don't know shit about cars and literally I did this project in 20min going slow as hell making sure not to drop bolts in the engine bay and double checking everything.

The air filter is what really makes it easy, you just slide the 3.5" ring OVER the stock intake tube, then slide the air filter onto that, its mated to fit perfect. Tighten, and DONE.
                  DIY ram intake
                  0gauge/4gauge BIG 3

Other rides:
                  2004 Jeep Liberty v6

Comment

I've done this with a K+N cone filter I got off a wrecked car at my shop a long time ago, the filter just happened to fit right in the tube. I just gotta make a bracket so it doesn't rest on the rad hose. Good call
                    1992 Oldsmobile Custom Cruiser

1986 Chevrolet C10|5.3L|SM465|Shortbed|Custom Deluxe

1983 Malibu Wagon|TPI 305|T5 5 speed|3.73 non-posi

1992 Accord Wagon (RETIRED)

Comment

Originally posted by Accrdwgnguy View Post
                      I've done this with a K+N cone filter I got off a wrecked car at my shop a long time ago, the filter just happened to fit right in the tube. I just gotta make a bracket so it doesn't rest on the rad hose. Good call
                      ahhh good point, I was wondering what that hose was the air filter is now touching. Hrmmm, think I could use a sock or sometihngh soft temporaily to keep the intake off the rad. hose until I figure something else hot? Air intake DEF GETS HOT due to it being metal lined. Just maybe a sock under air filter and ontop of rad. hose to absorb some of the heat?
                      DIY ram intake
                      0gauge/4gauge BIG 3

Other rides:
                      2004 Jeep Liberty v6

Comment

so the little resonater we can remove. cuz i have and aem ram intake and i didnt know what to do with the resonater...but 1 question what about the air tube from the resonter to the throttle body. should i jus plug it or what..

Backyard Customs
                        Originally posted by xprojectcb7x
                        why would you think people at auto zone would know what they were talking about?
                        Building Fund: $0
                        http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...="0" alt="" /> CLICK IT!!

Comment

haha lol i did this too but a long time ago never made a diy on it tho. lol except mine is the same diameter as the stock house so i went to osh (ace hardware type place) and got a 3'' coupler then slid the intake filter in it but it was loose so i wrapped duck tape on it to add thickness and pushed it to shit inside then i slip the whole thing over the stock hose very quick and easy to take back out for smog...ps: i can do it hella quick lol and ive only done it twice well three times now lol
                          ~CB7 Phoenix~

(picture missing help me get a new one )

The California White Tux
                          *and its alive!! hahaha*
                          *under construction*M.R.T: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...=1#post1689652 *changes soon to take over*

Comment

Originally posted by byc_cb7 View Post
                            so the little resonater we can remove. cuz i have and aem ram intake and i didnt know what to do with the resonater...but 1 question what about the air tube from the resonter to the throttle body. should i jus plug it or what..
                            Yes, you would need to cap off that inlet on the throttle body.

Nothing ground breaking but a k&n Air filter would get the best improvements from this mod.

You cap one and stuff some air filter styrofoam in the other.

Comment

Originally posted by ikayto View Post
                              Yes, you would need to cap off that inlet on the throttle body.

Nothing ground breaking but a k&n Air filter would get the best improvements from this mod.

You cap one and stuff some air filter styrofoam in the other.
                              dude i want that coupler.

spoonsportsaddict

Comment

Working...
                              X