ENG : Erratic idle how to fix it

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ENG : Erratic idle how to fix it

Hopefully this can help someone out, I never knew it was this simple of a fix.

Problem: Idling high when its warming up/ or jumping from 1000 rpm to 3000

Here's my DIY on how to fix it in six simple no-cost steps. Bear with me it's not the greatest DIY but it gets to the point on how to fix it!!! lol

Tools:
    Screwdriver
    Razor Blade

Parts:
    o-ring (anything rubber will do the job)
    washer (or something else similar to a washer, be creative)

1. Locate the fast idle thermo valve ( its on the driver side of the IM it's got a semi round flat plate with two screws.)

2. Remove the two screws then remove the plate.

3. (Now comes the Jerry rigging part lol) You can either go to the auto parts store and buy o-ring's and washer. Why waste your money on that, do what I did. Find a piece of rubber about the size of a power-aid lid, and then find yourself either a washer the size of a nickel, Or use what I used. I think its called a valve spring retainer not sure but it holds your valve springs down.

4. Now if the piece of rubber you found doesn't have a whole in the middle, put one in it. Make Sure a nickle can fit in it without falling through.

5. Take the washer (or whatever you decided to use and stick it on the rubber piece and take them both and put it on the fast idle thermo valve.

6. It's gonna be a hard fit but put the plate back on and screw the screws back in and your done.

There you go no need to go out and buy an expensive fast idle thermo valve!!!
    Last edited by JDM_accordf22a4; 09-25-2008, 04:21 PM. Reason: whats it to you stay out of my business

Engine:
    stock F22A4
    Cold Air Intake
    2.5in Exaust No Cat toTip
    Interior:
    Short Shifter
    Exterior:
    5% tint all the way around
    15in gun metal with crome lip rims
    DIY jdm black headlights

Future Mods:
    DSM Turbo

Great diy, but when my car was idling like that, I just took the top off the valve, tightened the white piece in there, but didn't tighten it overly tight, didn't wanna strip, or break anything, put the top back on, problem solved

Comment

yes i think it was coincidence that his stopped after that

smoke tires, not drugs.

Comment

Originally posted by nine_deuce View Post
        Great diy, but when my car was idling like that, I just took the top off the valve, tightened the white piece in there, but didn't tighten it overly tight, didn't wanna strip, or break anything, put the top back on, problem solved

The white piece? how the hell did you tighten it?
        I spin it back and forth and its still loose!

Comment

you really need pics.
          Maple50175 - you're annoying =P
          Brandoncb7 - I don't mean to come across like an ass but I see why you irritate Aaron now.
          JoshM - Crotch rocket = chick magnet.

Comment

Originally posted by slick View Post
            you really need pics.
            Oh shit I opened the Start Vavle to only notice the vacuum hose on it was split open.....that was my problem......

Comment

With the little plate off, look in side and you'll see a white plastic piece with 2 slits on it, 1 on either side. Take a flat screwdriver and put it in one of the slits, and just turn it. Simple

Comment

Originally posted by nine_deuce View Post
                With the little plate off, look in side and you'll see a white plastic piece with 2 slits on it, 1 on either side. Take a flat screwdriver and put it in one of the slits, and just turn it. Simple
                I know what your talking about but I tried that and it wasnt getting tight it just kept spinning....oh well like I said my start valve had a torn hose line so I had a leak....changed it and problem solved!

Comment

Erratic idle most of the time is caused by vacuum leak

Comment

It takes a while to completely tighten. Just have patience, it'll get tight

Comment

Originally posted by 92turboaccord View Post
                      Erratic idle most of the time is caused by vacuum leak
                      I spent 7 months trying to get it right, and did everyting to fix it and I couldn't.
                      Finally one day, some oil got spilled over the intake mani gasket, danm there was the vacuum leak, is so fuc,n silent that I would have never found it.
                      Check that gasket too!!!!
                      Colombian CB7

http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...3A+1992+accord

Comment

Ok so I went out to my car in the morning to start it.
                        It fired up but the idle was at 2000 it was very loud..........I f-ed with the white thingy and left it loose.........so I turned it back in till it got tight..........I started it up but the idle was too low......so I backed it up 1 whole turn and a half and fired it up and it was perfect!

I checked my vacuum with a gauge and it was holdin....so everything is good now!

thanks
                        Last edited by radiuslight; 10-06-2008, 07:02 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by radiuslight View Post
                          Ok so I went out to my car in the morning to start it.
                          It fired up but the idle was at 2000 it was very loud..........I f-ed with the white thingy and left it loose.........so I turned it back in till it got tight..........I started it up but the idle was too low......so I backed it up 1 whole turn and a half and fired it up and it was perfect!

I checked my vacuum with a gauge and it was holdin....so everything is good now!

thanks
                          dude...mine was like...idk...i think the original owner tightened it too far...and now i still get the erratic idle

anyother way?? if not im planning to go to junkyard to find an new one...

Comment

Originally posted by blueACCORDex View Post
                            dude...mine was like...idk...i think the original owner tightened it too far...and now i still get the erratic idle

anyother way?? if not im planning to go to junkyard to find an new one...
                            yea if its f-ed then get another but are you sure thats your problem?

Comment

I'm having the same prob. I change my IAC motor and cleaned it and even tightened the white valve in the fast idle. But it only idles funny when it warms up. What else could it be?

Comment

Working...
                              X