Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by H311RA151N View Post
    Your awesome Illinois_erik.

Doesn't sound nearly as tedious as I had thought.

That's a nice looking head btw. I would be more than pleased for mine to turn out like that.
    Thanks man, thats probably 12 hours worth of work, just chipping away at it when I was bored.. just take your time and dont try to rush and youll do just fine. I did have to make a speed controller for the electric die grinder though, out of a dimmer switch, otherwise it was wayyyy to fast . I wouldnt recommend a dremel too as the cartridge roll shanks are 1/4 inch and the dremel just doesnt have the nuts at a lower speed, the larger grinder could carry thru if you know what i mean.

Comment

Originally posted by illinois_erik View Post
      Thanks man, thats probably 12 hours worth of work, just chipping away at it when I was bored.. just take your time and dont try to rush and youll do just fine. I did have to make a speed controller for the electric die grinder though, out of a dimmer switch, otherwise it was wayyyy to fast . I wouldnt recommend a dremel too as the cartridge roll shanks are 1/4 inch and the dremel just doesnt have the nuts at a lower speed, the larger grinder could carry thru if you know what i mean.
      Only 12? Wow! I would have thought atleast 18 or 20 if I was to guess.

I'm not a very good electrician but my father is. I could drop by his place and I bet he could hook me up if need be. I will probably do that just because I think that's a great idea not to mention it's on the cheap.

Comment

Originally posted by H311RA151N View Post
        Only 12? Wow! I would have thought atleast 18 or 20 if I was to guess.

I'm not a very good electrician but my father is. I could drop by his place and I bet he could hook me up if need be. I will probably do that just because I think that's a great idea not to mention it's on the cheap.
        Lol cheap and me go hand in hand. 12 is a good estimate, but that wasnt including taking out the valvetrain gasket matching all that fun stuff, 12 hours of sanding lol.
        The box is easy Im still learning AC cause of this house I bought but basically I have a switch for on/off that goes to the dimmer from there to the receptacle, only the hot wire (black) is involved. neutral(white) goes right to the receptacle, and all three have a pigtail going to ground. I crammed it all into a super deep old work box I had laying around. He'll get what I did if you tell him, he might be against it since dimmers arent really supposed to run inductive loads, but it doesnt get hot, ran my die grinder and belt sander fine. I read somewhere it can shorten the life of the motors. but since theyre bushed motors itd be fine, I tried it on my blower motor fan but it didnt work so well lol. Other than that Ive seen your other posts and I feel youre competent to do all this, the fun part is making up stuff as you go along once you know the base instructions. Itll turn out great man, Im sure

oh and i also did this treatment to the intake, gasket matched the ports, smoothed out the runners, intake plenum. (left the iab block alone) The exhaust manifold was gasket matched too and smoothed as far in as i could mainly focusing on the weld slag off the flange to the tubes. Ill look for some pictures later on, the intake plenum? (the part the throttle body attaches to) was really rough inside and the holes leading down to the runners were smoothed out, the throttle body hole was gasket matched too(didnt need much) I left the throttle body alone that was above my scope of knowledge to disassemble it and it looked pretty good as is
        Last edited by illinois_erik; 07-22-2014, 04:17 PM.

Comment

Thanks again man, I will be starting this on Friday afternoon. Once it's done I will post up some pics.

And I appreciate your confidence in my ability to do this! I feel real good about doing it, it's just uncharted territory for me.

Comment

Originally posted by illinois_erik View Post
            oh and i also did this treatment to the intake, gasket matched the ports, smoothed out the runners, intake plenum. (left the iab block alone) The exhaust manifold was gasket matched too and smoothed as far in as i could mainly focusing on the weld slag off the flange to the tubes. Ill look for some pictures later on, the intake plenum? (the part the throttle body attaches to) was really rough inside and the holes leading down to the runners were smoothed out, the throttle body hole was gasket matched too(didnt need much) I left the throttle body alone that was above my scope of knowledge to disassemble it and it looked pretty good as is
            In reply to your edit.

That's perfect, I have an H23 plenum, TB, A6 runners and functional IABs to go with this setup.

I'm super stoked about this now. I think I have a bunch of great stuff for this next engine.

Comment

You could also buy a pencil grinder with variable speed for a couple bux extra. I personally prefer air tools. They are extremely cheap vs electric tools. However, I know a lot of people don't have access to a compressor.

The electric pencil/die grinders work really well if you can control the speed as mentioned above. Speed and pressure is the key, remember you are working with a very soft material, it's very very easy to remove too much and extremely hard to put it back. So take your time and let the tool do the work, your hands are merely a guide.
              MR Thread
              GhostAccord 2.4L Blog

by Chappy, on Flickr

Comment

Originally posted by GhostAccord View Post
                You could also buy a pencil grinder with variable speed for a couple bux extra. I personally prefer air tools. They are extremely cheap vs electric tools. However, I know a lot of people don't have access to a compressor.

The electric pencil/die grinders work really well if you can control the speed as mentioned above. Speed and pressure is the key, remember you are working with a very soft material, it's very very easy to remove too much and extremely hard to put it back. So take your time and let the tool do the work, your hands are merely a guide.
                I have an 80 gallon air compressor and I may end up using an air tool, I have never done this so I'm probably going to experiment with a couple different tools in the process.

Thank you for the advice! I will post pictures when it's complete.

Comment

Comment

sweet!
                    For the love of god, STOP putting H.I.D's in stock housings!!! Projectors ONLY!!!

Comment

Awesome. I actually just did this, used an electric drill with dremel bits though.worked well enough. Definitely have to be patient.

Comment

Working...
                      X