Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

ENG: Setting Base Idle Properly (F22ax, F22bx)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ENG: Setting Base Idle Properly (F22ax, F22bx)

I created this thread because I've realized many people do not have this set properly on their engines, but think they do and wonder why the problems. A proper base idle RPM will prevent the engine from bogging/lugging out noticeably when it is loaded by such things as: A/C, P/S, rear defrost, headlights, etc. It helps the IACV recover quickly, instead of trying more than it should to compensate for the engine load. Also, following this procedure can indirectly tell you if you have a vacuum leak that is causing an idle issue.

IACV Explained Thread (thanks JDMCB3Si for link):

http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...ained-967.html

Setting Base Idle Properly:

1) Start engine, let it get fully warm (coolant temp needle @ normal mark).

2) When at normal warmed up temp, remove electrical connector off IACV. Motor will remaining running, but at a lower RPM or the motor will shut off.

** NOTE: For steps 3a and 3b, idle screw may have silicone covering the top of it. Simply scrap if off. Also, you may have to increase depth of slot in the idle screw by gouging it to be able to rotate it. **

3a) If motor remains running, using flat-blade screwdriver adjust idle screw to 600 RPM idle. Idle screw CCW raises RPM, CW lowers RPM. Then, plug IACV connector back on and idle will automatically adjust to about 700-800 RPM.

** NOTE: If while IACV connector is off, you can not adjust idle down to 600 RPM, then you have a vacuum leak. **

3b) If motor shuts off, using flat-blade screwdriver turn idle screw CCW 180 deg. and repeat step # 2. Repeat step # 3b until motor remains running when IACV connector removed. Then, move to step # 3a, going to step # 4 after. Idle screw CCW raises RPM, CW lowers RPM.

4) Turn off engine. Remove 7.5 AMP ECU backup/radio under-hood fusebox fuse for 10 seconds, then reinsert to allow ECU to reset itself.

5) Your base idle is set properly.
    Last edited by HondaFan81; 06-25-2011, 04:47 PM.
    HondaFan81 For Sale Parts (LOW PRICES ON EVERYTHING)

Good Info. I did not know that.

I will be doing this soon

Comment

How can you see the RPM?
      wat?

Comment

Originally posted by C91BLX7 View Post
        How can you see the RPM?
        have someone in the car to read the dash
        My Rides:

Comment

do you tighten it or loosen it?

Originally posted by visualpoet
          some owners think it's the best thing since titties

Comment

Originally posted by C91BLX7 View Post
            How can you see the RPM?
            Look at the tachometer inside your car.

I added how to adjust the idle screw to the instructions, I thought this was very basic knowledge. It just confirms my theory. I'm glad this information helps, maybe I'll see more properly maintained CB7s on the road.

Idle screw CCW raises RPM, CW lowers RPM.
            Last edited by HondaFan81; 04-01-2011, 10:07 PM.

Comment

Having a digital timing light with an RPM read-out does wonders for this in conjunction with setting your timing. My personal timing light has one, and it is certainly a time saver.

Good job on the stickies, should help those out that don't know how to do this properly (way too many people!).
              Originally posted by sweet91accord
              if aredy time i need to put something in cb7tuner. you guy need to me a smart ass about and bust on my spelling,gramar and shit like that in so sorry.

Comment

Originally posted by foamypirate View Post
                Having a digital timing light with an RPM read-out does wonders for this in conjunction with setting your timing. My personal timing light has one, and it is certainly a time saver.

Good job on the stickies, should help those out that don't know how to do this properly (way too many people!).
                That's a nice feature and I've personally seen that on a Snap-On one. However, most will resort to getting a basic gun without a degree knob even, as they are cheapest. Even those work, if you have timing marks on your flywheel!! (XTD flywheel purchasers know who you are, don't think ahead on this eh??)

Comment

This is def a great DIY that only takes bout five minutes to bust out Thanks Hondafan !

Comment

Originally posted by Gummiegorilla View Post
                    This is def a great DIY that only takes bout five minutes to bust out Thanks Hondafan !
                    No problem, glad it helped. The description is very detailed, but in reality it is easy. I made it detailed to minimize questions.

Comment

so u leave the car running while you remove the back up radio fuse??
                      ** BUY MY STUFF **

Comment

Originally posted by 93tunerofdacb7 View Post
                        so u leave the car running while you remove the back up radio fuse??
                        No, good point. I edited my instructions accordingly.

Comment

yeai wasnt meaning to be a dick.. i assume you wouldnt leave it running while doing so but i figured id ask and clarify
                          ** BUY MY STUFF **

Comment

Does this also work for the h23 ??

Comment

Originally posted by jdmboi type s View Post
                              Does this also work for the h23 ??
                              PM'd

Comment

Working...
                              X