Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Harbor freight Oil Catch can

things I bought.

air filter...around $12...it's small though...but will do the job. I had to customize it to make it work...see below

couple fittings

some clamps

some hose

some pvc/breather fittings from oreilly's

I used a T shaped fitting from oreilly in the pvc parts section to go where the pvc valve usually goes

The left side connects to the valve cover breather hose that normally goes to the intake tubing.

I also bought a large plug to cover that spot on my intake tubing.

The right side [of that T] then goes to the inlet side of the catch can.

Next the pvc valve is connected to the outlet side...and using the stock hose from the pvc to the intake manifold.

here's the end result

Now this filter is stupid...it allows air to flow out at all times. I guess if you have 90 psi running through then the valve is shut...so I had to fix the valve as this is not how it operates on my car.

It has two c clips...a very tiny one holding the valve mech. in, and a larger one holding the valve outter body in the plastic. You don't need to bother with the larger one.

I removed the small clip, the valve is just a metal plunger with a permenantly attatched rubber seal on the top of the plunger, and the plunger is kept in an up position via a small spring.

It is being pushed towards the top of the catch can, which...leaves the valve open.

I removed the spring from the inside of the body...put the plunger back into the body, cut the spring about in half, pulled the spring out (I did this so the spring would push with more force, but have fewer coils so it could compress down further...while still doing it's job), then slid it over the part of the valve plunger that is sticking out.

Then re-installed the small c clip.

The spring pushes on the c clip, which pushes the plunger down (away from the top) which closes the valve. To remove oil you just push on the valve...or remove the whole thing.

i did that mostly so it would stay shut...I could have super glued it but i wanted to maintain a functioning valve...besides it was ghetto enough

Now I did remove the larger clip and the body so that i could apply a small amount of rtv around the top of it...just to make sure that didn't leak...you don't need to do that, it should not leak. But I did it cause i was there and didn't want to worry about it later.

pics of what I'm talking about

____

Go buy a can of engine bright and brushes my friend.

86 4Runner - 22RE 5spd, 4" Lift, 35x12.5R15 BFG Km2's, 4.10 gears
    "The Turtle"
    DD/Trail Rig/Mud Bug

Comment

the majic color of over-heating water dirty water
      Originally posted by deevergote
      Just do what PR CB7 said.

"I'm Going For Wood" (Clickey Clickey)

Comment

I live on a dirt road at the top of a red clay hill...I used to wash the car...but just a trip to the mail box would result in "goin' muddin'" so I've stopped cleaning my car...that is actually pretty clean compared to most days

SOON WE WILL BE MOVING AND I CAN CLEAN MY CAR PROPERLY AND IT WILL STAY CLEAN!!! WHOO HOO ...as you can tell...this excites me
        ____

Comment

just thought I'd update...only getting oil now that I re-sealed need to make it more visually appealing though
          ____

Comment

I Buy My Tools There. Semi Cheap Tools With Life Warrenty Ftw.

Nice Job.
            **Blk Housed Slut Crew Member #1**

**Don't b scared be prepared for the worst**
            Da Drizzle's Sedan - Dr. Diy's Blk Housed Thread

'90 2Tone Coupe-Car Heaven_'89 Lude-Junk Yard
            Mostly Usdm, some Jdm,Edm,&Puerto Rican RICE

Comment

Originally posted by F20A CB7 View Post
              I Buy My Tools There. Semi Cheap Tools With Life Warrenty Ftw.

Nice Job.
              WERD UP

Purchased from: 90-JDMCB7, cb95spd, 92_dr_p, ukaccord92, slammed4thgen, 93a-lude, h22anow, cb7addicted, H22WAGON93, tonymontana1204, agol, Joshy

Sold to: di2accord

Comment

Working...
              X