Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

ENG: H23 Intake Manifold Swap (56K die!!!)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

oh damn dude.. that sucks.. as confident as I am in whatever automotive skills I may have; I'd rather have the pictures to push me along. Besides, I'm a little confused on the swap. I'm only swapping the plenum and it looks to me like he swapped off the runners as well.

Comment

Be sure to look at the H23 plenum on A6 runners thread

on the stairs, she grabs my arm, says whats up,
      where you been, is something wrong?
      i try to just smile, and say everything’s fine.

Comment

will do man, I didn't even know there was one. I'll check into it.

Comment

just get the runners too, you will like it trust me. im sure someone on here has some for sale. and i got my problems fixed, they were just bonedhead mistakes.

Member Ride Facebook
          XBOX LIVE = RedDragonsFool
          SOLD MY CB JUNE 16, 2009
          For Sale Thread

Comment

haha well I ran out of money for my project and need to trvael to ohio in a couple months so I'll just add this. I want to send out my h23 throttle body and plenum to maxbore before I install it. And I found that other DIY, that thing is going to be my bible. This swap seems a little bit more straight forward than what I was thinking it would be; so thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

Comment

ive got a bunch of pics but i havent had a chance to upload them.

Member Ride Facebook
              SOLD MY CB JUNE 16, 2009
              For Sale Thread

Comment

can anyone upload some pics so i could get a little better idea?

member's ride thread
                93' EX Coupe H22A w/ P2T4 Sir 5spd 191whp 155 wtq
                99' Lexus LS400 157k VVTi V8 gets up & goes...new DD
                91 Accord SE 176k
                97' Honda Odyssey 199k miles...$485 spare van for my parents

Comment

okay did this about 2 days ago and here's some pics:

comparison of Plenum's, H23 on top F22 on bottom

comparison of TB's: H23 on right (63mm), F22 left (57mm)

IAB butterflies, these things look like a work of art

what it looks like installed and done with

Oh and to add, I didn't have to use the new IAB gaskets I bought which saved me $21. Reason being, was the old gaskets were made out of higher quality rubber and were in perfect shape. Chances are, your's might be too. And My AEM intake coupler BARELY fit on the new TB, i had to force it but it worked.
                  Last edited by Losiracer2; 12-06-2007, 06:30 PM.

member's ride thread
                  93' EX Coupe H22A w/ P2T4 Sir 5spd 191whp 155 wtq
                  99' Lexus LS400 157k VVTi V8 gets up & goes...new DD
                  91 Accord SE 176k
                  97' Honda Odyssey 199k miles...$485 spare van for my parents

Comment

What I want to do is learn how to apply the K series intake manifold to our engine, it uses a much better version of air re-direction than the iab's, it has long thinner runners that run around the outside of the manifold, and shorter, fatter ones that make a shorter run right to the manifold, and the bigger difference is there's an assembly that turns to redirect the air, check it out. Remember, long, thin tubes for lower end torque, and short fat tubes for higher end power.

This is, at least to me (I don't know much, but I try to understand) a much better design than our A6 IM design. And the b18 design, while better than ours is still not as good as the k20's design.

The A6 design is like a shelf blocking air flow when it's closed so it has to go through the outer 4 set of holes, but is makes for some turbulence because of that.

Here's the A6 design and function

Here's the B18's IM

And the function of the B18's IM and IAB system
                    Last edited by accordaffair; 02-23-2009, 10:21 PM.

Comment

From the honda repair manual

Two air intake paths are provided in the intake manifold to allow the selection of the intake path most favorable for a given engine speed. Satisfactory power performance is achieved by closing and opening the intake air bypass (IAB) controls valves. High torque at low RPM is achieved when the valves are closed, whereas high power at high RPM is achieved by when the valves are opened.
                      I think this should be a canned response anytime anyone asks, "What are the IAB valves for?" or "Do I need the IAB's?". Just copy/paste, right from the horses mouth.

Comment

The K series design is the same in principle, it is just a slightly more refined design.

The biggest difference is the use of a rotary valve instead of butterflies which creates smoother airflow.

And realistically, you get small long runners with the butterflies closed, and then long fat runners with the butterflies open, because don't forget that with the A6, when the IAB's pop open, all 8 runners are providing air instead of just the short ones.

The K series is pushing all the air through either the shorts, or the longs it appears, because they both diverge from the plenum in different spots. Since air always takes the path of least resistance, it follows the long runners with the valves closed (less resistance obviously), once the valves open though, it is much easier to take that path, and flow straight into the main runner through the IAB's, which probably pretty much flows all air the short way.
                        The OFFICIAL how to add me to your ignore list thread!

Comment

why dont the pics work?? I plan on doing this soon if i win the im on ebay. this should boost my f22a4.
                          OHIO CB7's

My Ride

MOD FUND: better if I could sell some of my stuff.

Build Thread

vouches: oneoffaccord, dep22build, 1993haccord, hostile, da9b16, brian91accord,93 Accord lx, kc8enb

Comment

I'd like to add that hooking up the IABs correctly (PT6 or whatever, and the solenoid box) makes a large difference driving around town. There is a definite increase in low end. Without the, the car just felt sluggish under 3.5k, now I can just mash it and go!
                            Originally posted by sweet91accord
                            if aredy time i need to put something in cb7tuner. you guy need to me a smart ass about and bust on my spelling,gramar and shit like that in so sorry.

Comment

i <3 my h23 IM/plenum

Member Ride Facebook
                              SOLD MY CB JUNE 16, 2009
                              For Sale Thread

Comment

man, I wish the pics still worked for this DIY, im going to be swaping in my H23 intake mani this summer!

Originally posted by slammed4thgen
                                be risky, be smart, and most of all be creative!

Comment

Working...
                                X