ENG: Setting the TPS Sensor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ENG: Setting the TPS Sensor

I didn't write this and don't take any credit for it. but i found this online and it helped me out while i was setting the tps for my h23 tb.

my addition:
    The TPS is "riveted" onto the throttle body, but they are actually screws with no head. What you need to do is to get a dremel or hack saw and create a slit on the top of the screw. then unscrew it with a screw driver. voila. go to your local hardware store or automotive store and look for the screw size :
    M5 0.8 screws. Or at least bring the old screw in and match it up. use the old washers. Now read the link below (not mine) in how to set it. its for an integra, but is generally the same.

http://www.integra.orcon.net.nz/tps

notes after reading:

positive from voltmeter goes to red wire (fluctuating)
    negative can go to any ground (engine block) and you don't have to puncture the green one (less wires to puncture = less chance of messing up something).
    Last edited by cokinut; 01-22-2005, 11:52 PM.
    BBB= Black Bumpered Beauty

MY MEMBERS RIDE PAGE

'98 Prelude (BB6) Type SH

title setting the throttle postion sensor sensor
    www.2camcrew.com

Comment

Man, I feel like a gomer, but does the engine have to be running to do this? Because my car won't idle right now.
      -Jay

Comment

Originally posted by Bluejayde
        Man, I feel like a gomer, but does the engine have to be running to do this? Because my car won't idle right now.
        no, just have the key in the accessories position.

Comment

Awesome, thanks. Maybe that wasn't as much of a n00b question as I thought.
          -Jay

Comment

Awesome, thanks. Maybe that wasn't as much of a n00b question as I thought.
            yea its all good. when i did mine i had to venture out for more resources for little details like that plus what setting to have the multimeter in (lost the directions, lol).

Comment

IN the link above, he mentions that .45 didn't work for him, so he used .32. Anyone have any experience with this?
              -Jay

Comment

IN the link above, he mentions that .45 didn't work for him, so he used .32. Anyone have any experience with this?
                well, for me i couldnt get the reading to go below ~.75, and that was with the TPS turned ALL the way. so what i ended up doing to register a reading of ~.45 was to take out the metal clips and carve some plastic out the guide space to get it to go down. unorthodox, yes. wrong, probably. but i did clear the CEL. lol.

Comment

Alright, I borrowed a multimeter today and prepared to set the TPS. I used a T-pin to uncover the red wire(fluctuating), found a ground, and attached the multimeter. Nothing. The multimeter is fine, when attached to the battery it sweeps off the gauge face, and the key WAS turned on. I turned the TPS as far as it would go back and forth, with no result.

Tips, suggestions, flames, and hurling poo accepted.

-Jay

Comment

Alright, I borrowed a multimeter today and prepared to set the TPS. I used a T-pin to uncover the red wire(fluctuating), found a ground, and attached the multimeter. Nothing. The multimeter is fine, when attached to the battery it sweeps off the gauge face, and the key WAS turned on. I turned the TPS as far as it would go back and forth, with no result.

Tips, suggestions, flames, and hurling poo accepted.

i'll hurl some poo at you hah

hmmm. make sure you exposed the wire and that it's actually getting good contact. i took a razor blade, put a little slit in the red wire and pushed it back a bit to expose prolly a good 2-3 mm of the wire. If that doesn't work, you can tap into the green wire (ground) the same way, but it shouldn't matter. I think it's the tapping b/c your meter (pos and neg) work when you touch the battery and when you touch the red wire, then it doesn't do anything.

did you do this 'cause you were tripping some CEL codes or did you do the Intake mani swap? TPS' can go bad too, so perhaps it died, but that would throw a code. good luck!

MY MEMBERS RIDE PAGE

Comment

I did a Head/Mani swap. I really don't see how I couldn't have been getting good contact, I basically poked a hole in the plastic covering and shoved the prong down in there.
                      -Jay

Comment

i'm lost too man try another multi meter?

MY MEMBERS RIDE PAGE

Comment

I guess. Maybe I can get one on loan from The 'Zone.
                          -Jay

Comment

possible to just not use the multimeter and just adjust it while the engine is on and see if it does anything?
                            i didnt set mine and it kikda fluctuates a bit, but i def need to do it on my bored out TB
                            I <3 G60.

0.5mm Oversized Stainless valves and bronze guides available. Pm me please.

Comment

if you can't find a buddy with one, then just rent one out (see if they can just do it for free with a credit card # or something as collateral).

As far as setting with the engine on, it'd be the ghetto way but should work for the mean time gotta do what you gotta do. haha. but ultimately, i'd test the voltage out. Like the link said, .45v may not be the right and exact voltage we need, luckily it worked for me.

MY MEMBERS RIDE PAGE

Comment

Working...
                              X