Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ENG: Convert internal coil distributor cap to external coil

http://hondatuningmagazine.com/tech/0502ht_distributor/
    I found this tid bit of info on one of my many visits to the honda tuning magazine website. I plan on doing this my self on my 91 lx.
    R.I.P. Cb7 4/27/05
    My members ride page
    Official Ebay Whore Crew #1

humm.... whats the diffifence??..... it wouldn't catch on fire? hp gain?

Great achievements result from great effort

Comment

Well if you ever wanted to upgrade your ignition system you would almost certainly need to run a beefier external coil.
      R.I.P. Cb7 4/27/05
      My members ride page

Comment

correct me if i am wrong, but i thought that some cb7's like the dx came with an external coil, maybe even some preludes.

Comment

I believe the 92-93 are external coil.

Comment

Originally posted by Sho Nuff
            I believe the 92-93 are external coil.
            Correct. 90-91 came with internal coil distributors while 92-93 had external ones.
            Last edited by dj justice; 02-21-2005, 05:30 PM.
            R.I.P. Cb7 4/27/05
            My members ride page

Comment

Originally posted by dj justice
              Correct. 90-91 came with internal coil distributors while 92-93 had internal ones.
              u mean 92-93 came with EXTERNAL COILS

and why go through all that trouble and why dont you just buy the dizzy cap thats for the external coils. MSD sell them for like 30 bucks i think.

Comment

Sorry i was really tired when i posted that. Oops.
                R.I.P. Cb7 4/27/05
                My members ride page

Comment

heres a Q 4 u.. i had the 92 ex and now have the F22b.(Internal)... so now i need to make my wires go from an ext. to an internal coil system?.... any clues...yea i know the ext is the way to go... but for now its not an option cause the lack of money in buyin and doin the motor swap...
                  . . .93 Ex F2.0A Si. . .
                  WiredMotorSports
                  [[-]] (()) [[\]] [[)) //\\

Comment

Do you have an f22b distributor now or f22b engine?? I dont exactly understand your question. Can you elaborate?
                    R.I.P. Cb7 4/27/05
                    My members ride page

Comment

One good reason for doing this is better aftermarket support with cheaper priced products. But the main reason i did this awhile back was because the front seal on the dizzy with the internal coil went bad and started leaking oil inside my dizzy. The oil that leaked through took out the ignitor and the coil at the same time both are $90 parts and if the seal blows on the internal dizzy it costs around $200-300 (i believe) for the rebuild kit. So instead i bought a 92 lx external dizzy and mated an MSD Blaster Coil 2 to it...problem solved and haven't looked back ever since.
                      Knowledge is power...in EVERY sense of the word

FSAE (F Series Accord Enthusiasts) ..."A dying breed thats taking it to the next level" #12

Comment

the car is a 92 EX it has the F22b engine and dizzy... the Q is the wiring is for an external coil... we didnt know how to fix it so the internal coil would work.... but i found out that a 30 amp fuse on the ext. coil plug would just connect the power to the internal coil... later ill worry bout getting a MSD coil and use as an external... reason y i wanted to get the internal working, cause i know someone will ask.. is i did the motor swap and needed it to run and didnt want to rewire an aftermarket at 11 at night.... anyways.. thanks for the info... its runnin great now
                        . . .93 Ex F2.0A Si. . .
                        WiredMotorSports

Comment

Originally posted by midnite racer x
                          One good reason for doing this is better aftermarket support with cheaper priced products. But the main reason i did this awhile back was because the front seal on the dizzy with the internal coil went bad and started leaking oil inside my dizzy. The oil that leaked through took out the ignitor and the coil at the same time both are $90 parts and if the seal blows on the internal dizzy it costs around $200-300 (i believe) for the rebuild kit. So instead i bought a 92 lx external dizzy and mated an MSD Blaster Coil 2 to it...problem solved and haven't looked back ever since.
                          holy crap dude.. that's expensive.. i paid 30 bucks for my coil. i dont know about the ignitor, i didn't have to replace that, but it seems in your case just switchin was the best idea...
                          --JDM F22A--

JDM schmeDM, these lights are DIY-DM.

Comment

Originally posted by According2Me
                            but i found out that a 30 amp fuse on the ext. coil plug would just connect the power to the internal coil...
                            that idea was actually discovered by my friend excalibur02, and ive been using it since. ended up working well, didnt it?

- 1993 Accord LX - White sedan (sold)
                            - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (wrecked)
                            - 1991 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
                            - 1990 Accord EX - Grey sedan (sold)
                            - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
                            - 1992 Accord EX - White coupe (sold)
                            - 1993 Accord EX - Grey coupe (stolen)
                            - 1993 Accord SE - Gold coupe (sold)
                            Current cars:
                            - 2005 Subaru Legacy GT Wagon - Daily driver
                            - 2004 Chevrolet Express AWD - Camper conversion

Comment

yea it worked well... i have no trouble with it....
                              . . .93 Ex F2.0A Si. . .
                              WiredMotorSports

Comment

Working...
                              X