ENG: DIY 220 alt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ENG: DIY 220 alt

I keep getting asked about how i have a 220 alt in my car so heres an quick diy...

I have only done this on a non ac car so i cant say it will work on an ac car...

Tools needed
    weilder
    grinder
    10mm socket
    and i beleve an 12 or 14mm socket
    A piece of pipe around 3/8"
    A shim...i had to try an few to find one that works
    A alt bracket off of an 280z
    20 feet of 0 gage wire
    4 0 gage wire conectors
    soder
    A propane torch
    lock washer

I ordered a 220 fizzal alt from powerbasterds.com with a overdrive pully. The reason I went with powerbasterds is becuse theyll powtercoat your alt any color and there cheap...

Ok first remove your alt bracket and alt (if you dont know how you can refer to a accord manual to see how)

Then you put your shim in your alt so it dosnt wobble around the whole is to big to just fit....

Then you cut the pipe to keep your alt from slideing back and forth in the bracket

then you cut the bottom bracket off and line up the z bracket so you can move the alt up an down to tighten the alt belt

then you weld it into place

Then you bolt it in place and tighten the belt make shure you use an lock washer so it dosnt slide and become loose

Next you soder a 0gage conector to 0 gage wire and run the wire from your alt to your battery..make shure you use something to hold the wire... I burnt the crap out of my self when the soder came out the bottom of the conector....you can tuck the old conectors away so if you need them later on you have them or just cut them off....

Then you need to run 0 gage wire for your grounds and check your voltege to make shure everything is up to par

Anyways hope that explains how i have an 220 amp alt and no i dont go through belts everything lines up good becuse of the underdrive pully it stick out far so the belt lines up....late...
    Last edited by SPLCB7; 09-20-2011, 05:32 PM.
    My 90 coupe Mr thread....
    http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=178452

Good write up!!! Which engine do you have? I have an H22 and i know the F22A1 Alt brackets are the same, the A4 and A6 are a tad diff, but I would infer you do the same thing to those correct?
    The CB7 Collector.
    Team Kindred Impulse Member #3
    92 LX Coupe F22A1
    2013 Toyota Corolla S
    92 EX Sedan F22A1
    Originally posted by deevergote
    Do you really need to make a thread asking if having your car like this /---\ will cause uneven tire wear? Try walking like that for a few weeks and see if your shoes wear funny! (hint: they will.)

Comment

I have the a4 as long as the belt lines up it should work the same if it dosnt you can add an small spacer to the pully to move it and ajust to the belts....
      Last edited by SPLCB7; 08-16-2011, 11:29 PM.

Comment

good diy very nice pix and good instructions.

on a very important side note
        underdrive pullies cause issues. and i will leave it at that
        frostwhite225@gmail.com =VENMO

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NOB38zJu66o

[COLOR="Magenta"]

Comment

Originally posted by xkjnboix View Post
          good diy very nice pix and good instructions.

on a very important side note
          underdrive pullies cause issues. and i will leave it at that
          Only on stock alts that cant handle it....the up graded alts handle it fine unless there made poorly....
          That and you cant use an stock pully the belts will not line up it will be to short...if you want more juice this way its your only option....that and powerbasterds alts come from the factory that way...and they warnty them that way.....they have an one year on them so its not an issue
          Last edited by SPLCB7; 08-17-2011, 03:51 AM.

Comment

its just like ragging the fawk out of your motor all day every day. a built motor going to 6-7k all day every day is going to wear out faster than a stock one that hangs around 3k. regardless how many oil changes or what oil you use. same thing applies to alts or anything else in the world. thats just the way it is.

[COLOR="Magenta"]

Comment

Yep so lets all drive stock cars and be lame.....lol your just talkin ish becuse your car is stock i get it.....

Comment

Underdrive pulley... as in it has a pulley smaller than factory or larger?

Comment

Yah its longer and shorter so the pully sits out farther so the belts fit....mechman makes an bolt on alt.....it cost more but it puts out 270amps.....

Comment

Originally posted by SPLCB7 View Post
                    Yep so lets all drive stock cars and be lame.....lol your just talkin ish becuse your car is stock i get it.....
                    lame ??? talking ish ?? stock??

in the defense of stock cars ( not only cb7's ) not all stock cars are lame. turning your nice functioning car into a ragged out junkpile no one else would want to own, is lame.

im not talking ish. facts is facts oem alts with underdrive pullies = problems. its just a friendly warning. search google for underdrive pulley issues.

so just cause i dont ebay my car out its lame and stock? ???

[COLOR="Magenta"]

Comment

lame ??? talking ish ?? stock??

in the defense of stock cars ( not only cb7's ) not all stock cars are lame. turning your nice functioning car into a ragged out junkpile no one else would want to own, is lame.

im not talking ish. facts is facts oem alts with underdrive pullies = problems. its just a friendly warning. search google for underdrive pulley issues.

so just cause i dont ebay my car out its lame and stock? ???
                      My alts not an stock alt with an underdrive pully.....and your welcome do do whatever you want to your car its your car and an matter of opinon.....some of us like loud music some of us like fast cars and some of us like longevity.....me i do me and its worked for me this long to me longevity is lame id rather enjoy my car....its no insalt to you just an personal pref you dont like the mod you dont have to do it dosnt mean you have to go and try to ruin it for those of us who want bigger alts with more power to run more gear in our cars on an buget.Its kinda rude to just call somone out when there just giving helpful info for people who want the mod.....ive had this mod for over 6 months now and have had no probs.....and im happy with it so thats all that matters to me i dont live at home with my mommy and daddy. i have an fam to support so i do what i can as cheap as i can while still being reliable......and im not the only one if i could afford an 400amp dc alt id buy one but i cant...good day....

Comment

I almost wish I could get a hold of one of those 400 amp alts for you... Just to watch the belts scream and snap.

Comment

Originally posted by Sarthos View Post
                          I almost wish I could get a hold of one of those 400 amp alts for you... Just to watch the belts scream and snap.
                          Please do

Comment

...I ordered a 220 fizzal alt from powerbasterds.com with a underdrive pully...
                            Only on stock alts that cant handle it....the up graded alts handle it fine unless there made poorly....
                            That and you cant use an stock pully the belts will not line up it will be to short...if you want more juice this way its your only option....that and powerbasterds alts come from the factory that way...and they warnty them that way.....they have an one year on them so its not an issue
                            ...facts is facts oem alts with underdrive pullies = problems.
                            My alts not an stock alt with an underdrive pully...
                            He did start the thread by saying he purchased a 220 amp alternator.
                            He also said it again, after you commented on underdrive pulleys on OEM alts. You gotta read the thread before you can comment.

Having said that, you can also take an OEM alt to many places and have them rebuilt for more amperage. My brother had his done for his van for about the same price as buying a replacement, not even an upgrade. He's pushing 4 12" JLw3s with a 3000 watt Alphasonik, and the rest of the speakers with a pair of matched Audio Art somethings and even with everything going, his lights never flicker at all.

Comment

i read the thread completely, and im not calling anyone out. idk y ur so offended lol. i know nothing was said about underdrives in the other post, but you know the 1st thing someone is going to comment. "Why cant i just get an underdrive pully and do the same thing?? DERP DE DERP" therefore post before hand. =P =D
                              Last edited by xkjnboix; 09-20-2011, 12:39 PM.

[COLOR="Magenta"]

Comment

Working...
                              X