ENG: Seafoaming an engine through the intake

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 93accordexcoupe View Post
    Plus it looked like he dumped it into the PCV valve hose. Once again, same ending location as the brake booster hose
    Yes, PCV and Brake booster are passive hoses, EGR is active. I would use a passive vacuum over one the car controls and might be confused by is what I am suggesting.

Comment

i think when i first got my car i either put it into my gas tank or half and half into through the oil cap, then like 2 tanks of gas later i changed my oil. i cant remember it was a while ago. but whats the difference with any of those things wherever it goes its cleaning right?

C-3PO's MRT USDM yo!

then i see my baby, suddenly I'm not crazy,
      It all makes sense when i look into her eyes

Comment

Originally posted by Quashish View Post
        i think when i first got my car i either put it into my gas tank or half and half into through the oil cap, then like 2 tanks of gas later i changed my oil. i cant remember it was a while ago. but whats the difference with any of those things wherever it goes its cleaning right?
        The gas tank will clean out the fuel system. Lines, tank, injectors.
        The oil will clean out the areas oil go. Valves, passages, oil pan. Anywhere oil
        can gum up.
        The intake cleans out all the intake parts, the plenum, manifold, and areas
        right before the injectors.

The areas where the injectors spray will get cleaned by the fuel method and
        the intake method.

I suppose if I had actually dumped the can into the intake I could face hydrolock.

I like to think that since it's being absorbed through a vacuum line and
        jettisoned into the manifold that's it's vaporized in a way very similar to a
        carburetor.
        MRT
        37.5 MPG, AC on, cruising at 80.
        30.0 MPG, AC on, aggressively driving around 90.
        27.5 MPG, no AC, cruising at 90 with occasional gridlock. 40 degrees Fahrenheit

Lots of DIY videos specifically for our car

Get some awesome wipers! <-- It's a DIY
        Originally posted by Tippey764
        I think driving your car naked will cause the engine to overheat
        Originally posted by deevergote
        sneaky motherfucker

Comment

Originally posted by GeoffM View Post
          The gas tank will clean out the fuel system. Lines, tank, injectors.
          The oil will clean out the areas oil go. Valves, passages, oil pan. Anywhere oil
          can gum up.
          The intake cleans out all the intake parts, the plenum, manifold, and areas
          right before the injectors.

The areas where the injectors spray will get cleaned by the fuel method and
          the intake method.

I suppose if I had actually dumped the can into the intake I could face hydrolock.

I like to think that since it's being absorbed through a vacuum line and
          jettisoned into the manifold that's it's vaporized in a way very similar to a
          carburetor.

You're probably right too, I just didn't want to give people any bad ideas, I figure it would be more controllable if one were to pour through the line, rather than allow the line to suck it from the bottle.

Comment

Originally posted by KpoweredCB7 View Post
            You're probably right too, I just didn't want to give people any bad ideas, I figure it would be more controllable if one were to pour through the line, rather than allow the line to suck it from the bottle.
            Even pouring it would have a similar effect.
            But, it would have a vacuum leak. Having a motor revving uncontrollably under
            me isn't my idea of fun, so I stuck it in the bottle.
            MRT

sneaky motherfucker

Comment

do you guys think it would be alright to run this stuff as in this thread and in the oil crank if the exterior of the engine has sludge buildup (leading me to think there might be a slight leak at the seals). Would the sea foam remove the sludge at the seals that might be blocking more of the oil from leaking out?

Comment

In theory yes. But so would a good quality oil. Although not as rapidly.
                MRT

sneaky motherfucker

Comment

Originally posted by wildBill83 View Post
                  If everything is combusted in the chamber then why do our engines need an EGR? In a perfect world, everything going in would combust.

Tippey, I know you know that EGR stands for Exhaust Gas Recirculation and is meant to recirulate unburnt fuel from incomplete combustion or rich situations. Seafoam will cause a rich combustion so some of it will go through the EGR.

Also if your motor is at idle and parked the brake booster is doing nothing, the EGR is still working, might as well let it do it's thing.

I was mainly talking about NOT dumping seafoam into the intake manifold without using the vacuum line method. This can cause hydrolock.
                  What you are saying about EGR is something different than what I know. Check the wiki link below.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exhaust_gas_recirculation
                  A&P-IA

Comment

Originally posted by oyajicool View Post
                    What you are saying about EGR is something different than what I know. Check the wiki link below.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exhaust_gas_recirculation
                    His second sentence is almost the same as the second sentence from that article.
                    MRT

sneaky motherfucker

Comment

Compare what he is saying in the first sentence of his post and the third sentence of the article.

IMO, he is viewing the exhaust gas as "still combustible gas" due to presence of unburnt fuel.

The third sentence of the article is calling the exhaust as "inert" gas.

The second from the last sentence of the article is the reason of having exhaust gas recirculated.

Although it may end up doing so in certain circumstances, it is NOT meant to recirculate and burn the unburnt fuel from incomplete combustion or rich situations.

This is thing I wanted to point out.
                      Last edited by oyajicool; 11-13-2012, 08:49 AM.
                      A&P-IA

Comment

Originally posted by oyajicool View Post
                        Compare what he is saying in the first sentence of his post and the third sentence of the article.

IMO, he is viewing the exhaust gas as "still combustible gas" due to presence of unburnt fuel.

The third sentence of the article is calling the exhaust as "inert" gas.

The second from the last sentence of the article is the reason of having exhaust gas recirculated.

Although it may end up doing so in certain circumstances, it is NOT meant to recirculate and burn the unburnt fuel from incomplete combustion or rich situations.

This is thing I wanted to point out.
                        To be 100% accurate, it is not always inert, when it runs rich you will have combustable material in your exhaust and some of this gets recirculated. This is only when running rich (injecting seafoam will make it rich). Under normal operation it is more for cooling valves and slowing combustion. EGR is partially for emissions as well as partially for engine stability.

Either way you want it to function while seafoaming, do not disconnect and run seafoam through it's vacuum line. That is my point.

Comment

I would go through the brake boost vacuum myself to avoid hydrolock. Not just dump it into the intake.

The EGR line he used in the video should be fine too though.
                          Isn't he using PCV line/hose on the video? That is leading into the same chamber of intake plenum as brake booster line/hose. NO?
                          A&P-IA

Comment

We are going in circles now?

http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showpost...9&postcount=16
                            ^see post #16

Originally posted by 93accordexcoupe View Post
                            Plus it looked like he dumped it into the PCV valve hose. Once again, same ending location as the brake booster hose
                            Yes, PCV and Brake booster are passive hoses, EGR is active. I would use a passive vacuum over one the car controls and might be confused by is what I am suggesting.

Comment

I missed that post.

In any case, I don't know how to say it. I feel there's some inconsistency here. But, maybe it's just me.

Let's not waste any more time on the subject.
                              A&P-IA

Comment

I made a typo in the first post you quoted, I see the inconsistency as well. I apologize for bad info. The video in the OP did not use the EGR. I mistyped.

Comment

Working...
                                X