No announcement yet.

ENG: Power Steering Pump Rebuild

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I would like to do this..where do you buy the seal kit...Autozone,Pepboys,ect. or on-line? Guess I need to search for how to remove the pump from car or get a friend to do it. Doesn't look like it takes that long to do it and the car would be out of use for just a few hours.

Old wagon - Silver '92 LX Wagon - Steve (Shadow)- STOLEN ON LABOR DAY 2012
    New wagon- White '92 LX Wagon on 1/3/13 (Frostbite)

2000 EX Coupe - Joe -

www.AccordWagonClub.com
    My Facebook Site - ACCORDOBSESSION

Comment

Originally posted by SilverShadow View Post
      I would like to do this..where do you buy the seal kit...Autozone,Pepboys,ect. or on-line? Guess I need to search for how to remove the pump from car or get a friend to do it. Doesn't look like it takes that long to do it and the car would be out of use for just a few hours.
      I picked up the kit from rockauto. i tried to get one from parts stores and they dont seem to have it. i payed $14 shipped for the gates kit
      visit vgruk

Comment

ok im still trying to upload the pics of the valve. picasa is not liking me for some reason. i should have them up soon
        visit vgruk

Comment

I need to replace the bearings in my pump. Weirdly the seals are still good. It almost sounds like a supercharger under the hood.
          '93 H22A 5SPD SE - MRT - DIY-Turbo Sizing

Comment

@RyanD...I think photobucket (even with the shitty new format) is easy to use. What I do since I haven't leaned a quicker way..I take the picture and load it to my computer. Then since I have Photobucket, I right click the photo and send it there. Once in PhotoBucket (PB) I click on the picture and a drop down appears with a few codes. The IMG code is what you'll copy. Then with the code in your cyber-space copy, come back here...type what you want in a text box and paste the code. Make sure to preview it first. You may want to move it around in the text or add color to a caption like this "my car"
            Back to the topic:
            I got my power steering pump yesterday from a member we know and it's on the way. Soon I will try for the first time to do it myself. I'm excited. I'm sure to mess it up like I did with the thermostat...I was never told there was a wire for a ground....After buying another battery and tows....the mechanic said "hey you forgot to put this wire back on" Varoom went the engine...First place I drove to was to return the $70+ battery! Mother F*** manager says the one I gave him is now in a pile and was dead as the indicator said. I said just return this new one give me my $ and give me the "dead" one back. I walked the "dead" one back to car...hooked it up and did a mock prayer session over it.... it started right up...you should have seen this assholes face! AutoZone!

Old wagon - Silver '92 LX Wagon - Steve (Shadow)- STOLEN ON LABOR DAY 2012
            New wagon- White '92 LX Wagon on 1/3/13 (Frostbite)

2000 EX Coupe - Joe -

www.AccordWagonClub.com
            My Facebook Site - ACCORDOBSESSION

Comment

Hey Ryan,
              I went to the junkyard and took the pressure relief valve off and there's only a spring that came out. The valve does not come off does it?
              Also the plate on mine, directly behind the valve and behind that of the high pressure hose connection on the pump is crack and I think that is what causing the little leak. If I replace that plate, item #7 on the diagram, it might stop the leak. My question is if I take that plate off will the valve shoot out from the spring being in the front of that portion?

Either that or my leak is coming from seal #20 and not the shaft seal.

Thanks.
              Last edited by Bad_dude; 03-28-2013, 11:25 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Bad_dude View Post

Hey Ryan,
                I went to the junkyard and took the pressure relief valve off and there's only a spring that came out. The valve does not come off does it?
                Also the plate on mine, directly behind the valve and behind that of the high pressure hose connection on the pump is crack and I think that is what causing the little leak. If I replace that plate, item #7 on the diagram, it might stop the leak. My question is if I take that plate off will the valve shoot out from the spring being in the front of that portion?

Either that or my leak is coming from seal #20 and not the shaft seal.

Thanks.
                iif the plate is cracked then that would cause a leak. i would take off both plates to replace the one to not risk the valve shooting out.

ithe valve is in there its just really far in the tube
                visit vgruk

Comment

just updated the thread with pics of the pressure valve. enjoy and i hope it helps!
                  visit vgruk

Comment

Thanks bud. Does the valve just sit floating inside the chamber or do you have to unbolt it? What part of the valve do you blow out? That little hole in the middle?
                    Every fixed your problem after rebuilt?
                    Thanks.

Originally posted by RyanD View Post
                    just updated the thread with pics of the pressure valve. enjoy and i hope it helps!

Comment

Thanks bud. Does the valve just sit floating inside the chamber or do you have to unbolt it? What part of the valve do you blow out? That little hole in the middle?
                      Every fixed your problem after rebuilt?
                      Thanks.
                      Yes it floats. Blow out the top and the little hole. My pump ran dry for to long. I had to get a new one that I'm fixing to rebuild
                      visit vgruk

Comment

Do I spray the valve with some brake cleaner then blow it out or leave the oil on there then blow?
                        Thanks.
                        Originally posted by RyanD View Post
                        Yes it floats. Blow out the top and the little hole. My pump ran dry for to long. I had to get a new one that I'm fixing to rebuild

Comment

Do I spray the valve with some brake cleaner then blow it out or leave the oil on there then blow?
                          Thanks.
                          Either or
                          visit vgruk

Comment

Thanks for the DIY, it really helped when I replaced my seals yesterday. I do have a question though; after I tightened everything back together, I had use a wrench to rotate the pump as I couldn't do it by hand anymore. Did this happen to you?

Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by s2cmpugh View Post
                              Thanks for the DIY, it really helped when I replaced my seals yesterday. I do have a question though; after I tightened everything back together, I had use a wrench to rotate the pump as I couldn't do it by hand anymore. Did this happen to you?

Thanks!
                              It did and to this day I could never figure out why. It seems normal.

Glad the day helped!
                              visit vgruk

Comment

Thank you sir! My only guess is that the new seal around the shaft produces a very tight fit and might add some friction until things get spinning fast again.

Comment

Working...
                                X