ENG: Increasing air flow to your cold air intake

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ENG: Increasing air flow to your cold air intake

If you have the aem c.a.i. or i guess any other one you can increase your air flow to your intake by removing the bumper lights. You will be able to tell a slight gain in power.

What you need:
    1)phillips head screw driver
    2)bypass valve (if you dont already have one i would suggest it if you do this)
    3)a little patience bc you do not want to mess anything up

How you do it(most of you already know)
    1)take the screwdriver and go on the grill side of the bumper light and u will see a hole just big enough to fit the screw driver, loosen the screw and take it out.
    2)pull the light enclosure out slowly.
    3)once you have it out remove the wires running to the light and tuck them some where they will not become damaged.
    4)install bypass valve
    5)Enjoy your ram air cold air intake
    Super Sonic Blue Pearl CB7 Coupe

My old frost white CB7

teh shibby, but id rather not get pulled over

Comment

not exactly "ram air" but i guess its a decent right up. i doubt you feel a gain in power too, this is good to do at the track but i wouldnt do it for street use becuase your removing one of your directionals.........not to smart and could cost you a ticket. do you know how a true ram air works? if not do a search and youll be amazed......

Comment

Not a bad idea...however your filter is now exposed to the elements and possible road hazards..Not to mention John-Q law is gonna bust your ass. Your best bet is to cut some slits in the fender well, or the bottom of the bumper cover to increase air flow to the filter

Comment

I guess if you're chasing that .0000001th of a HP, then go for it. Otherwise, it's not like you don't have enough vacuum to pull in enough air from the bottom of the car. Ramming air into the intake is supposed to cause more turbulence, which cancels out any gains.
          -Jay

Comment

i've tried this at the track once and when i hit ~90mph at the end of the strip.. my inner fender lining tore out and i ran over it. so just make a note of this.. that too much air forced into that little slit might loosen or possibly tear it out.

Comment

yeah i guess taking it out would give your car that extra little hardcore look.

"You've done more threatening prescription drugs..."
              "the character of a man can be judged by how he takes his criticism"
              "Quoting yourself is like, masturbation" -Starchland

Comment

confused

Sorry, im probably goin to sound like an idiot to some of you guys but, how do the kitted cb7s get away with not having the bumper lights?

My old frost white CB7

Comment

Originally posted by drucifer92
                  teh shibby, but id rather not get pulled over
                  Same here!

Midwest car club

Current rides:
                  91 accord lx (5spd)
                  92 accord lx (5spd)
                  93 accord lx (auto )

Comment

Originally posted by 91LXcb7
                    Sorry, im probably goin to sound like an idiot to some of you guys but, how do the kitted cb7s get away with not having the bumper lights?
                    We don't have any bumper lights, so a cop doesn't realize that some where there on an OEM bumper. If you have one on one side of the OEM bumper and none on the other side, you will catch the cops attention...

Comment

i pulled them out on both sides in my opinion it looks better but im thinkin about doing some customizing on the stock bumper so most cops want be able to tell it is an oem bumper

My old frost white CB7

Comment

well if that makes you guys happy then go for it..hehehe,..gives the other guys some idea..but if youre going to do this just do it right so you guys wont get it trouble wit em pigs..good job on the write up!
                        "
                        Fast and cheap won't be reliable
                        Cheap and reliable won't be fast.
                        And fast and reliable won't be cheap
                        "
                        ~EYCEE~

Comment

Originally posted by FushigiRES
                          We don't have any bumper lights, so a cop doesn't realize that some where there on an OEM bumper. If you have one on one side of the OEM bumper and none on the other side, you will catch the cops attention...
                          haha, no bumper lights for me...no tickets yet *knocks on wood*
                          most cops are clueless anyways..."what year is your vehicle sir, 2000 what?"

i also agree with the too much air factor that ATX mentioned. My fender lines are both torn, and are all wobbly. nevertheless, not a bad idea.

Formerly 91AccordExR33
                          11.68 @ 127mph
                          417whp/375wtq
                          Sold: 8/2016

Comment

whats the point we have directionals on our corner lights does the same thing u still have directionals in from no need for bumper directional how many cars accully have bumper diectionals not to many but they do hae it on there corner lights as long as there yellow/amber and they blink in front u pass inspection and u wopnt get pulled over

i have a front body kit and i have no trouble with cops or getting stickers as long as those corner lights are yellow u are fine and for them clear bumpers light u are 80% more likely to get pulled over and a ticket unless u have an amber light most kids ahve those blue or white bumper lights u will get pulled over this is comeing fro the worst place in the world massachusetts they are on full patrol on kids with illegal shit on the car and very anal about stickers

(\__/)
                            (O.o )
                            (> < ) This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to help him on his way to world domination!

Comment

I've got the 1 piece Projector Headlights in my car and I will be rewiring the bumper indicators up to the Corner Lights, as the globes are Amber.
                              While I had the Front Bumper off when fitting the Projector Headlights I drilled about a dozed 3/4" Diameter Holes in the Plastic Intake Chamber (Behind the RH Side of the Bumper). It feeds air into the intake box via the plastic tubing. I remove the Air Bypass Valve and tucked it away behind the headlight. Cut the Air Intake/Bypass Tubing and faced them down to the Hole in the Inner Guard. I then replaced the Standard Air Filter with a K & N Type Air Filter. I don't know if I gained much extra power but it feels a bit crisper and sounds a hell of a lot better. I replaced the Standard Spark Plugs with NGK IRIDIUMS. Changed the engine oil from a mineral 15W40 to the PENNZOIL 5W50 FULL SYNTHETIC Oil. Reset the Timing up 2 Deg BTDC. I also fill up with BP ULTIMATE 98 RON Octane Fuel and add a Bottle of Wynns Octane Booster. . I also have super light 17" Alloys which can be lifted up with two fingers without any effort. It all adds up to minor power gains over standard without any major and/or illegal mods and there is a noticeable gain in acceleration.
                              That my bit anyhow.
                              BTW: I'm a fully qualified Motor Mechanic with over 25 Years experience and I run my own Automotive Repair Business so these little mods cost me bugger all in the end.

Comment

Working...
                              X