No announcement yet.

ENG: Internal to external coil

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

i'll be adding my msd 6a next week...i'll post pics.

My Old Ride Thread

Comment

Originally posted by chile
      finally did mine...the only bitch was mounting the coil somewhere.
      When I did this to my 95 Accord EX, I just took a peice of sheet metal about 12" or so long and bent 1/3 of it at a 90 degree. Then I mounted the external coil to that 4" section I bent up. I then slid the rest of the metal under the battery and tightened the battery down. The battery held the sheet metal and coil in place and I didn't have to drill into any part of the car. It looked clean and was easily reversable if needed.

Just a thought for anyone having trouble figuring where to mount the coil.

Comment

Originally posted by TouringAccord
        When I did this to my 95 Accord EX, I just took a peice of sheet metal about 12" or so long and bent 1/3 of it at a 90 degree. Then I mounted the external coil to that 4" section I bent up. I then slid the rest of the metal under the battery and tightened the battery down. The battery held the sheet metal and coil in place and I didn't have to drill into any part of the car. It looked clean and was easily reversable if needed.

Just a thought for anyone having trouble figuring where to mount the coil.
        good idea...i'm gonna get a blaster ss after i do my head swap...i installed my 6A this morning...took about 30 min...taking out the ballast resistor makes the wiring look a little cleaner (at least in my case)...

Last edited by chile; 03-16-2006, 02:07 PM.

My Old Ride Thread

Comment

you don't have to buy a their modded cap you can
          just convert yours for like $10

How 2 External Coil ??????
          Last edited by smokeeey420; 08-19-2006, 08:15 PM.
          FS: DSM turbo parts,OEM parts, and more.....
          My Members Ride Thread - R.i.P

Comment

Originally posted by smokeeey420
            you don't have to buy a their modded cap you can
            just convert yours for like $10
            Originally posted by ACCORDing
            I just used a cap from a 94 accord. It fits perfictly and is external coil
            That gets my vote. OEM caps such as the '94 are fine, and no drilling/epoxying whatever required. Besides, with modifying a 90/91 cap you're just going to have to do it again later.
            >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>><<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

Comment

just a thought. Oem caps are fine but the connection is not brass or gold like the msd cap. Better connection for better spark energy. Plus a new oem cap cost almost as much as the msd does with a rotor and coil wire.

Putting in my setup tommorow with a new dizzy, venom 400, nology wires. I post if theres anything worth noting.
              No longer working on the cb. To much time and money has been put into it. Check my for sale thread where the whole car will be parted out.

Comment

where can i get the balast resistor thing.. i installed an accel coil and forgot all about the resistor part and now the car wont start.

Comment

From me, the thread starter. I have one because I'm using an MSD ignition now.
                  Give me your address and if you can paypal me $10 I can send it to you asap. Depends how fast you need it, if you can't find it locally. Shipping will be more if you want it really ASAP. I see you're in Canada.
                  PM me or see me on AIM tomorrow afternoon.
                  Metal Metal and more Metal!!!

How much does your wheel/tire combo weigh? Post here!
                  -=Suicide Crew Member #1 (only member so far)=-
                  MY RIDE

"I was hoping the Wolverine would finger one of those Japanese girls and then extend a claw into her b hole just for fun, BUT that never happened and I was extremely unsatisfied with the movie because of it." -Macaqueistrong

Comment

Originally posted by 613lx
                    where can i get the balast resistor thing.. i installed an accel coil and forgot all about the resistor part and now the car wont start.
                    Call around to your local electronics stores.

Comment

i have read on different threads that there is no need for the resistor. In this thread it was stated that the blaster 2 has one built in, but the blaster ss requires one (which is what msd instructs) So, is there anyone that has done a ss without a resistor or ignition box and can give a straight forward answer hopefully learned from experience? I really need some clarification on this bc i rather not waste my time with the resistor if is not needed.

good diy by the way, thanks for doing it.

MY RIDE

Comment

Why mess with it, if it calls for it just do it. The resistor isn't that much and it only take a few to wire it in. If it's listed in the instructions, it doesn't cost much, it's not hard to install, why not just put one in?

Comment

Originally posted by TouringAccord
                          Why mess with it, if it calls for it just do it. The resistor isn't that much and it only take a few to wire it in. If it's listed in the instructions, it doesn't cost much, it's not hard to install, why not just put one in?
                          ok, that makes sense.

MY RIDE

Comment

what did you use to get the rotor off?

and did youhave to turn the engine to TDC before doing any of this or did you just have to remember where the rotor was facing?

Comment

i used my hand to pry the rotor off, its kinda tough. The rotor should only go on 1 way, but its always good to remember where everything was before you go at it. taking pics helps

Formerly 91AccordExR33
                              11.68 @ 127mph
                              417whp/375wtq
                              Sold: 8/2016

Comment

Do you have any more pictures of when you finished everything up? My distributor went out on me and i bought an h23 distributor thats already external coil i just dont know how to hook it up. heres my problem

http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=75060

If anyone know's the best way to fix it let me know. thanks.

My New Ride
                                http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=82630

Comment

Working...
                                X