No announcement yet.

ENG: Cleaning out IAC Valve

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

just did this, awesome diy. easy and simple just as described. cost me about $4 bucks

Comment

I'll be doing this DIY this weekend. I hope it solves my shitty start problem :/
      My Car
      FREE Web hosting solutions

Comment

Would it be OK to clean the IACV with soap and water?
        My Car

Comment

Originally posted by mchaley View Post
          Would it be OK to clean the IACV with soap and water?
          I'd suggest using extraction naphtha

Comment

I just got back from trying to clean this valve. Holy horse shit.

So I took the strut tower cross brace off, no problem. I unhooked the power on the IACV before taking the negative off battery... oops ( )

I managed to take the screws out of the IACV but one was damn close to the fuel rail. Was a bitch to get out. But the WORST were the hoses. I could not get them off due to the cold weather. So I just used brake cleaner to clean the screen and the other holes. I hope that'll work. They WERE dirty and look a lot better now. What do you think? Is it more important to clean the screen and holes or to clean the internals of the valve?

It seemed to start pretty darn well when I started it up for the first time. Even started up fine on the second start. No revving needed!
            My Car

Comment

bump this for the people who has not done this or read this yet. this is very useful ...

A man that keeps looking back can't see whats in front of him.

Comment

Originally posted by 460sx View Post
                Those two little hoses are a BITCH to get off..
                man you aint lien.. i think mine where left on there as long as honda made this accord.. i have all stock oem parts never removed.. needless to say i will puttin alot of money into new hoses and gaskets

So I was thinking what would Jesus drive?

Comment

Originally posted by DJ metadelic View Post
                  i gotta clean my fitv too...ugh lol just one more little thing. i bet it hasn't been touched since...ever
                  most likely not.. people forget the small stuff more times. its gus like the man who put this thread up that remind us.

So I was thinking what would Jesus drive?

Comment

One of the guys at the Wagon Club linked me to here and WOW am I glad.
                    My '91 Wagon with F22 B runs great but idles like a turd as soon as I turn on the AC or go in R.

On my engine the IACV and FITV are hooked side by side by the hoses that are tough to get off. I am removing both together if I can and doing the hose removal on the bench.

One thing I have not seen mentioned are the hoses themselves. Has anyone given them a good inspection? I know with early 1990s outboard boat motors the new Ethanol fuel is attacking the inside of the rubber fuel lines and causing black particles to clog things up. New hoses are made of a different compound that is ethanol compliant.

I am selling my wagon or at least trying to get it sold and the shitty idle is chasing interested buyers away. Hope this DIY fix will solve the issues.

Gary

Comment

Originally posted by Gary L View Post
                      One of the guys at the Wagon Club linked me to here and WOW am I glad.
                      My '91 Wagon with F22 B runs great but idles like a turd as soon as I turn on the AC or go in R.

On my engine the IACV and FITV are hooked side by side by the hoses that are tough to get off. I am removing both together if I can and doing the hose removal on the bench.

One thing I have not seen mentioned are the hoses themselves. Has anyone given them a good inspection? I know with early 1990s outboard boat motors the new Ethanol fuel is attacking the inside of the rubber fuel lines and causing black particles to clog things up. New hoses are made of a different compound that is ethanol compliant.

I am selling my wagon or at least trying to get it sold and the shitty idle is chasing interested buyers away. Hope this DIY fix will solve the issues.

Gary
                      Gary...Pretty sure no gas goes thru the hoses on those parts. I beleive coolant does. Stop with the EThanol scare. Also...my car as you know is a 92 and if your claim about the gas is true...the hoses should be all gone after 20 years!

Old wagon - Silver '92 LX Wagon - Steve (Shadow)- STOLEN ON LABOR DAY 2012
                      New wagon- White '92 LX Wagon on 1/3/13 (Frostbite)

2000 EX Coupe - Joe -

www.AccordWagonClub.com
                      My Facebook Site - ACCORDOBSESSION

Comment

Originally posted by SilverShadow View Post
                        Gary...Pretty sure no gas goes thru the hoses on those parts. I beleive coolant does. Stop with the EThanol scare. Also...my car as you know is a 92 and if your claim about the gas is true...the hoses should be all gone after 20 years!
                        Live and learn! you are correct in that no gas goes through the hoses, just the top end of these parts sees fumes.

The references to Ethanol is not a scare. It is a reality those into boats, small engines and older cars are facing daily. I DO NOT know when manufacturers began using ethanol compliant hoses and seals in vehicles. Letting others here know to at least inspect the inside of your hoses is a good thing. Replacing older hoses is cheap as compared to the issues that arise from rotten hoses that look great on the outside but are flaking off from within. Ask anyone with an older outboard motor! I have 3 and am going through the pains of hell with this EVIL fuel.

Another fact to ponder. I drove my 91 wagon back and forth to Vermont last year and checked the fuel economy both ways. 25.1 MPGs going and 22.6 MPGs coming home on the same identical route. The difference was a full tank of NON E 10 gasoline on the way up and a fill up of E 10 for the trip home.

Your 92 and my 91 were designed for and tuned to run on real gas! New vehicles today may be OK with E 10 but our older ones do have some issues digesting the stuff. They were never designed to be Corn Burners!

Comment

Stupid hoses...didnt come off, only one after a long time and the other got stabbed by the screwdriver so i stopped, this diy really helped though, brake cleaner turned that black into silver easily. Thanks!
                          IG:worldboss_sanjcb7

Comment

What I did was clamp on the end of the hoses with a vice-grip and slowly turned it back and fourth while pulling.

||91 Accord EX|| All of my images are hosted courtesy of imageShack.com
                            Door-Sensor fix (DIY)||Interfacing Arduino to Power locks
                            RICE = Race Inspired Cosmetic Enhancement.
                            "The greatest advantage of speaking the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said." - unknown
                            "That's the funny thing about parts that break... they're never broken until they are!" -deevergote

Comment

Working...
                            X