• Show
Clear All

ENG: Polyurethane Engine Mount Install

Symptoms: Crappy shifting, wheel hop.
    Problem: Crappy front engine mount/torque strap

Solution A: New Engine mount at dealer, $97CDN

Solution B: $20. Follow along, kids!

What you'll need:
    -Energy Suspension #16.1107R Honda Motor MNT Insert. I paid about $20 CDN, ordered through Canadian Tire/Keystone.
    -17mm sockets/extensions/ratchet handles
    -paint, if desired

Yank out the old engine mount. Top bolt is a breeze, bottom bolt is a bear. It might be easier from underneath, but I'm too stubborn to crawl under if I don't need to. You'll want to clean the threads and put some anti-sieze on these, in case they ever have to come out again.
    But you already do that on ANY bolt you take out, right? Good.

Now go inside somewhere warm.

THIS is why you're doing this. I can move this around with my thumb!

What do you think happens when you drop the clutch?
    Bad things, that's what!
    Movement.
    *Elastic* movement.

But there's hope-ah, Mah bretheren!
    These insert into your existing mount, damaged or not, and firm it up.

But not TOO firm, they can still deform a bit, so you're not riding in a Vibra-Matic coal-cart. I can still move these a bit with finger pressure, but they take up *all* the air space in the stock mount.

A quick stop at ~Steve's Paint Booth~

Then just push them in with your fingers. Ta-DA!

Get it back in, and you're done. Go for a drive.

I immediately noticed a difference in shifting. Too slippery out to accertain a difference in launch hop...yet.
    Last edited by SteveB; 02-13-2004, 12:11 PM.
    2003 Maxima SE Titanium Edition
    Polished Titanium ext, heated black leather int, heated leather steering wheel, HIDs, 255bhp, 6 speed, 15% tint.
    1993 Suzuki GSX1100F 136bhp

i can't believe that thing fits perfectly with no modifications at all...kinda pisses me off that someone beat me to it lol. I'd been looking and KNEW that an insert from another car would fit but didn't have the parts or a civic or integra try look at. What car was that supposed to go to anyways? How'd u come about this finding? And any luck with the side mounts yet? 2 mounts down...2 mounts to go
    Knowledge is power...in EVERY sense of the word

FSAE (F Series Accord Enthusiasts) ..."A dying breed thats taking it to the next level" #12

Comment

Originally posted by midnite racer x
      i can't believe that thing fits perfectly with no modifications at all...kinda pisses me off that someone beat me to it lol. I'd been looking and KNEW that an insert from another car would fit but didn't have the parts or a civic or integra try look at. What car was that supposed to go to anyways? How'd u come about this finding? And any luck with the side mounts yet? 2 mounts down...2 mounts to go
      ?
      It fits a Honda Accord 90-97, front mount only.
      <mis-communication adjusted>
      Last edited by SteveB; 02-12-2004, 08:14 PM.
      Polished Titanium ext, heated black leather int, heated leather steering wheel, HIDs, 255bhp, 6 speed, 15% tint.

Comment

wait...anytime i've ever looked for any polyurethane mount its only come up as the rear mount insert. They must be expanding their product line cause it never existed b4. No need for the rocket science crack...don't insult the intelligence son it just never existed b4

FSAE (F Series Accord Enthusiasts) ..."A dying breed thats taking it to the next level" #12

Comment

Originally posted by 91accord4door
          ya midnight's right,i have only seen the rear before.coll though.
          Who carries the rear?

Prothane seems to only have F/R sets..or none at all, depending on where you look.

Comment

mine really shifts alot, and its new...my engine jerks like crazy when i step on the gas and really its just that its alot of power...somewut..but my engine u can see it shift....

if its only 20 bucks i like that, the way that the engine holds itself with the new mount will take the pressure off the rear mount which i replaced already.

i like that price. im werry of why my engine moved that much when i shift gears or put it in reverse....thanks bud..i like the price and the effort...i may do this!
            What makes me laugh about forums, is that no matter how much you try to help someone, they dont take the advice. Go ahead and do it the hard way.

You got to respect what you drive, and appreciate what you have, making the best of what you got. and if that means putting CAI, HID's, a phat stereo system, and a idiot in the drivers seat...then so be it!

Retro!

Hater

I love nooBs...They make me look good

Comment

Re: Polyurethane Engine Mount Install

Originally posted by SteveB

Too slippery out to ascertain a difference in launch hop...yet.
              Well, I found some dry pavement...

Oh.
              My.
              God!

It just...goes!
              No hop, no flutter, no f*ck all....it just goes, and in a straight line, too!

Shifting could still be better, sure...but that's a clutch issue.

Comment

yea my launches are like the car is just digging the tires into the ground and propelling itself forward. When i shift i get this incredible vibration from the engine...the good kind, u can actually tell the engine isn't going anywhere. But i want to complete all sides thats why this was such a surprise to me cause it seriously was non-existent

Comment

Originally posted by midnite racer x

But i want to complete all sides thats why this was such a surprise to me cause it seriously was non-existent
                  I didn't get the impression from ES that they were a new product, and I've never seen the side mounts anywhere.

Pour your own is the way if you want all mounts, methinks.
                  I was thinking of _that_ too, but for 20 bones....I'll let a pro pour just one for me, and just bolt it it.

I tried a steel filled, high temp RTV initially to firm up the front mount.
                  Didn't last, and OMG! digging it all out was no fun.

I'd actually prefer a real DIY, rather than just a bolt-in...but sometimes the bolt-in is just better.

Comment

i heard that under 1500 rpm there is more vibrations.

mine moves alot if i rev my engine..i hate it. it SHIFTS . i revved some accords and they dont do this.

all my mounts are brand new. back front and sides

if im in neutral and i rev to 5 quick...and let off my car shifts forward becuase the engine is pushing itself forward.

now do you notice a noise or vibration difference? i might get one of these if so.

o they make a rear one but only for the manual cars cause theirs are rubber. but the autos are hydrolic filled and they dont make one.

but if ur strenthening the front, then there isnt much point to strenthen the back unless u have alot of torque. thats my opinion.

energy has it for 14 bucks for the accord. if i try it and dont like it ill sell it =).

but let me know your input
                    What makes me laugh about forums, is that no matter how much you try to help someone, they dont take the advice. Go ahead and do it the hard way.

You got to respect what you drive, and appreciate what you have, making the best of what you got. and if that means putting CAI, HID's, a phat stereo system, and a idiot in the drivers seat...then so be it!

Retro!

Hater

I love nooBs...They make me look good

Comment

Originally posted by accordztech
                      i heard that under 1500 rpm there is more vibrations.

now do you notice a noise or vibration difference?
                      Nope. No change.

Comment

hey got a question. when you were taking out the mount, did you support the engine so it didnt drop or sag? or did ya just rip it out and not worry bout it? just curious cuz i beleive the haynes manual said some crap bout supporting the engine with a jack and cardboard. thanks!

Michalob's CB7

Comment

Originally posted by Michalob
                          hey got a question. when you were taking out the mount, did you support the engine so it didnt drop or sag? or did ya just rip it out and not worry bout it? just curious cuz i beleive the haynes manual said some crap bout supporting the engine with a jack and cardboard. thanks!
                          Nope. Just yank it.
                          It's just a torque reaction strut.

Comment

Michalob, I knew if I read enough someone would ask the one question I would have!

Man, that sounds like a great thing to do with $20 (less, actually... for US prices ) I'mma gonna go order one right now!

I'll be back with questions when I find some way to mess things up.

Here's what I found price-wise...
                            $11.37 from Lightning Motorsports... But those suckers want $8.25 to ship to Jersey! I'll keep looking, thankyouverymuch. Who knows though. That might be the going rate.
                            Last edited by deevergote; 03-14-2004, 01:37 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Deevergote
                              Michalob, I knew if I read enough someone would ask the one question I would have!

Man, that sounds like a great thing to do with $20 (less, actually... for US prices ) I'mma gonna go order one right now!

I'll be back with questions when I find some way to mess things up.

Here's what I found price-wise...
                              $11.37 from Lightning Motorsports... But those suckers want $8.25 to ship to Jersey! I'll keep looking, thankyouverymuch. Who knows though. That might be the going rate.
                              driverfx looks like 4.95.

Comment

Working...
                              X