ENG: Heat Shield Black Out

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ENG: Heat Shield Black Out

I did this awhile back. I wasn't planning on making it into a how to...but I'm bored so I'll throw it up. As you can tell from the pics this wasn't supposed to be a how-to. You can also do this EXACT same thing for your tired old windshield wipers too...I did this for them as well.

The tool belt:
    can of flat black rust oleum paint
    sand paper / electric sander
    yesterdays newspaper
    a few towels
    about a day to let dry

Yeah, so you're set to get this painted. You rip the thing from the bolts and lay the paper down so you can prep it. Grab the sander and go all around it. Don't really get like every single thing off but just go over it and whatever falls off should do the trick. After all of that take to towel(s) and wipe off the excess so it doesn't screw up the paint. Next you take the paint and paint over it in light storkes untill it's all covered. Don't over power it or I'll be a tad runny. Mine did that in one area. Next you want to move them somewhere that they can dry. It says that they can be touched after a few hours...but just store them over night. After you put it on don't worry if it smells a tad from the paint. After about 30 minutes it should be gone. Mine has never had any problems with peeling or bubbling. So...yeah, here's some pics of it. Good luck!

Back after we first got it (May 2003)...UGH!!!!:

Sanding:

Paint:

The Aftermath:
    + '93 Accord EX - CB7 - Frost White w/ Dark Blue = teh s0ld (ilikebigbutts)

2006 Cobalt SS - 2004 Monte Carlo SS - 1990 CRX Si

. Snail Squad .

i woulda just removed it
    H22 Prelude VTEC 92-96 200 161 10.6:1 87 90 DOHC VTEC 2157 JDM

190.3whp 155 wtq - with bolt ons, and a dc header

ET=14.457 @ 94mph w/ 2.173 60Fter

Comment

I did that but the headers were the same color as the cover...

. Snail Squad .

Comment

precicely

THAT and supposedly it will eventually eat the paint on the bottom of the hood. Aftermarket headers must be coated so they don't do that.

. Snail Squad .

Comment

incorrect

I had my heat shield off for about 7 months a drove it like i normally do, and there was no difference in amount of heat put off or any sign of chipping paint.

Comment

i didn't really think that was a diy cause i did it in like 2 mins...of course i didn't take the heat shield off at all even to paint it cause i thought i was gonna be getting an h22 at the time. Should i add this to my mods list or somethin lol?
            Knowledge is power...in EVERY sense of the word

FSAE (F Series Accord Enthusiasts) ..."A dying breed thats taking it to the next level" #12

Comment

Want an effective heat solution? Get header wrap.

Sorry for whoring your DIY, btw.

Comment

gotta admit that it does look alot cleaner

Centre PA SCCA

Comment

Removing the heat shield was the very first mod I did to my car and I have NEVER had any problems with "extra" heat. that is a myth. The heat shield is a CYA (Cover Your A$$) for Honda so that if by some chance something fel aginst the headers they could say "We put a shield there for that reason"

I removed mine and the headers were just as rusty, but still looks better then the dang shield. Was goignt o remove the headers and paint them but I am planing ont eh H22 swap soon so.

Also removign the shield won't cause any "extra" problems if you have a Short ram intake installed. it will still suck in the same amount of heat.

Think about it. Do you REALLY think that thin little alunimum(sp) shield is going to "shield" heat? That damn thing gets so fuggin hot it would ADD heat to the bay.
                  !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

hey man, i like it. looks nice and clean. like the grill black-out DIY of yours also. do you need to use the heat resistant rust-oleum? like the stuff for barbeques?

Comment

As I said in the email, the regular paint is fine. If you want to get the high heat stuff go for it...but IMO the other stuff is fine.

. Snail Squad .

Comment

I might do this.

Comment

it definately looks bold inside the hood. the only thing is that your valve cover and the shield will be black and everything else is like silver...the contrast is amusing.

. Snail Squad .

Comment

alright i was taking out my heat shield to do this and i ran into a big problem when taking out the 3 bolts.. i got the right side good and when i was on the left bolt it got stuck so i was like oh okay use a lil more force.. well... if you've done something like this b4 to much force kinda juss broke the whole bolt so now im wondering how can i get the old bolt out that is still stuck in the engine??? also its just those 3 bolts to take it of right? hahaha after i saw the post i tried doing it but came upon this and that sucked ... please help thanks a lot guys
                            Beast: Evo X
                            Daily: 93 Accord LX Wagon

Comment

Originally posted by di2accord
                              alright i was taking out my heat shield to do this and i ran into a big problem when taking out the 3 bolts.. i got the right side good and when i was on the left bolt it got stuck so i was like oh okay use a lil more force.. well... if you've done something like this b4 to much force kinda juss broke the whole bolt so now im wondering how can i get the old bolt out that is still stuck in the engine??? also its just those 3 bolts to take it of right? hahaha after i saw the post i tried doing it but came upon this and that sucked ... please help thanks a lot guys
                              Craftsman makes a tool for this. I dont know if you can ise it int eh small space your working in, but how it works is you drill a hol int eh centerof the broken bolt, then you incert this tool (loks liek an over sized drill bit) then you use a wrench to remove the broken bolt.

I will post pics of this tool tomorow its 5:30 am and I am off to bed.
                              !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X