ENG: F22B DOHC Head Swap onto F22AX Block

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by xwade01
    I believe it is. F22Ax is 85mm and the H23 is 87mm. If i'm wrong on the #'s correct me, but i'm pretty sure.
    Yea your right. I was going to state this before when I read through it but I was like bleh....
    HondaFan81 For Sale Parts (LOW PRICES ON EVERYTHING)

Comment

Hahah right on!

My Official Vouch Thread

MY For Sale Thread!!!

Recent Members Sold To:
      ALOW1, TheNextAZN

Members Sold To (Vouches):
      ALOW1, Phempa, hpaccord91, aznsyco84, 93EXaesthetic, civic_90_08, wrichards2005, SuperTuner12010, JDM_EJ, Ralphie, cooneyb81, HondaFan81, quakerjoe, tanNn2koo, 91Accord-LX, JARHEAD293, TheNextAZN, (TONS MORE)

Comment

Hey I just picked up an F22B head from rickyduckworth.... I'll be doin this swap in the next few months stay tuned.

hold on to your butts

Comment

hmm, read through this thread...what about that "area" on the h23 head that needs to be filled? is it prone to cause leakage if not sealed?

Comment

Originally posted by mondojackal
            hmm, read through this thread...what about that "area" on the h23 head that needs to be filled? is it prone to cause leakage if not sealed?
            Ya on the h23 you havr to, but not on the jdm f22b. The heads are almost the same except for this passage.

I got a f22b dohc head with 33K and a h23 dizzy for $210 with a brand new gates belt, and misc. bolts here in the ICT. Crazy because I could not find just the head anywhere, but after I gave up looking just about, I ended up finding the head in my own town; how funny is that? So ya, I will be doing this swap within the next month also!!
            97 Yamaha YZF600R

Vouches: wagalude/sleepycb7/accordexr33/yeamans17/heylookitsdylan/tommi/JDMH22ACB7/smokeeey420/sackingz123/
            IDriveALude/Losiracer2/626cb7

Comment

h23 repair manual portion, yay
              http://hondatech.info/downloads/Auto...e/Prelude%204/
              I <3 G60.

0.5mm Oversized Stainless valves and bronze guides available. Pm me please.

Comment

Originally posted by NoSloCB7
                Note: This is posted as informative information only!! I am not liable for any damages, etc. that may occur from you preforming this swap!!

Ok Guys.. I FINALLY got around to sitting my ass down and writing up this "How To" for the F22B DOHC head swap onto the F22AX Block. The swap was extremely easy and went excellent. I like these photos because when you preform the swap, most of you will leave the block in the car. Below is a list of parts you will need to collect prior to starting this swap.

-F22B DOHC Complete Head
                -H22/H23 Internal/External Coil Distributor
                -H23 Head Bolts
                -H23 Crank Gear w./ H23 Backing Plate
                -H23 Timing Belt or 1995 GSR Timing Belt
                -F22AX Head Gasket
                -F22A6 or H23 Intake Manifold
                -H23 or F22B DOHC ECU

Begin by following the proper procedure for removing the F22AX head and timing belt. You can find the step by step in your Haynes Manual or other shop refrence material.

Next you want to install your intake manifold of choice onto the F22B DOHC head:

Now, after you have cleaned the block deck, you are ready to install the Head onto the F22AX block. Below is a picture of the F22AX head gasket on the F22B DOHC head. Notice that all the oil drains and coolant ports line up perfectly!! There is no modifications needed. Please Note: This picture was taken when I first recieved the head. It had not yet been cleaned.

Now, time to install the head. Remember to use the new H23 head bolts you purchased. Be sure to follow the head tightening sequence and bolt torque specifications for the H23 prelude engine. All tech, info can be found in your haynes/ other shop manual.

After the head was installed I then focused on the timing belt hardware. This is a very simple step. After you have followed the shop book procedure to remove the timiing blet, you then need to remove the F22AX crank gear and replace it with the H23 crank gear and backing plate.

From there on out you simply follow the shop manual procedure for the H23 prelude for installing the timing belt, cams, etc.. The only think that was changed as far as timing components was the crank gear. The F22AX water pump was still used. The picture below shows the H22 internal coil distributor mounted.

And now...folllow all the proper procedures to finish up!!!

Well there you have it. It really isn't difficult at all, and is well worth the results!! Good Luck and Have Fun!!!
                i know this is an old post but i dont see any pics and i plan on doing this ASAP or when i get the money

RIP lilblue

Comment

can anyone show me sum pics

RIP lilblue

Comment

Originally posted by lilbluecb7
                    i know this is an old post but i dont see any pics and i plan on doing this ASAP or when i get the money
                    you dont need pics, you just need the ability to follow directions.

BTW: for the h23 head, which part am i supposed to fill in?
                    I <3 G60.

Comment

well.... you have a point but i just like to see the final results.

RIP lilblue

Comment

well.... you have a point but i just like to see the final results.
                        but do you have a manual for the prelude?
                        I <3 G60.

Comment

not yet ill get it when im ready for the swap

RIP lilblue

Comment

not yet ill get it when im ready for the swap
                            good man, im ready to swap mine
                            I <3 G60.

Comment

Mines going on within a week. Maybe i'll get some pics for you guys?

My Official Vouch Thread

MY For Sale Thread!!!

Recent Members Sold To:
                              ALOW1, TheNextAZN

Members Sold To (Vouches):
                              ALOW1, Phempa, hpaccord91, aznsyco84, 93EXaesthetic, civic_90_08, wrichards2005, SuperTuner12010, JDM_EJ, Ralphie, cooneyb81, HondaFan81, quakerjoe, tanNn2koo, 91Accord-LX, JARHEAD293, TheNextAZN, (TONS MORE)

Comment

How would a P39 ECU run on this swap?

Comment

Working...
                                X