Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ENG: Injector seal replacement

**im not responsible for damages**

seals never last forever. once the fuel rail starts leaking you just have to replace the seals. the seals total will cost around 60 bucks from the dealer. you might as replace all 3 on the injector.

tools you need:

13mm ratchet, wrench

17mm socket for fuel line.

10mm wrench/sockets

rubber gloves

flat head, small

Time: 1 hour.

procedure:

1. Open the fuel cap and release pressure
    2. park on the street so that fuel that leaks goes down to the street.

remove the 3 10mm bolts, and the big 17mm bolt that i marked in red

then remove the 2 10mm black screws from that plastic rail circled in purple.

on the injector there is this gray clip on it, you need to remove the needle type clips from it to the side and then lift it up so that plastic thing can be moved out of the way. use a flat head for it. dont worry you wont break it.

take the 2 10mm bolts off of the fuel pressure regulator (FPR)

move that plastic thing out of the way, all the gray connectors should be removed.

6. now you may be able to pull out the fuel rail, but what i do is nudge each injector out of its hole inside the engine and then pull it out with the fuel rail all together.
    *when you take it out, dont clank it against any thing. you can damage an injector.*

7. pull the injector from the fuel rail 1 at a time.

there are 3 seals on the injector, the one that seals the fuel is the first small top one. those are the ones that go out faster. take the old one out wiht a screw driver and then put in the new one with a small amount of vasteline A SMALL amount. this will be enough to lubricate it.

now you may notice on the yellowy end of the injector that went inside the intake manifold there is some black crap on it. get a paper towel and wipe that off. thats carbon from years and years of build up.

****there are little plastic kinda washers that may come out when you take out the injector or it may still lie inside the hole for the injectors, take those out and clean them and clean in that hole with a toilet paper. ***** dont buy new ones, they just sit the injector in place.

so replace the seals for every one, might as well since you got it out.

8. OPTIONAL

get some fuel injector cleaner like lucas and put it in the top of every injector, just a drop...and put a little in the fuel rail and put a little inside the intake manifold. this will SUPER CLEAN the system kinda. be warned it will smoke on start up.

9. installation is reverse of the removal.
    -have all the injectors in the rail and slowly put it back. fit it niceley so that they seal up. and the bolts are ready to be bolted in....snugg it and bolt it down. dont over tighten it....just nudgely do it in this format 1-3-2 bolt pattern since there are 3 bolts.
    -put the plastic rail back on with all of the clips. now fix the clips so that they are on like when you removed it. then it should just clip on you will hear a click when u do it.....and dont forget the 2 black 10mm screws on it, NOT TOO TIGHT.
    -put back the FPR tightly!
    -connect the fuel line with the washer on the bottom, the line, then a washer on top then the 17mm bolt, tightly.

check that everything is on there. nice and snug.

now put back the fuel cap. and then turn the car into the ACC position. go back in the engines and check for leaks around the fuel inejctors. let that sit for a minute.

then start it. this will take a while to start, about 10 seconds. thats cause there is air in the fuel system, and if you put fuel injector cleaner in there it will take longer to make a nice mixture.

when it starts check the engine for leaks again especially the FPR. then revv it a couple of times, especially if you put fuel injector cleaner, you will see white shit comming out of your muffler. mine took about 10 minutes to clean out.

clean up, constantly check for leaks. take it for a ride.

enjoy. over the next couple of days look for leaks....you may want to wash down your engine with all that fuel you leaked.

congrats, you have done it.

if you have any questions contact me through PM or AIm sn: pino401 and email peepoy@hotmail.com
    What makes me laugh about forums, is that no matter how much you try to help someone, they dont take the advice. Go ahead and do it the hard way.

You got to respect what you drive, and appreciate what you have, making the best of what you got. and if that means putting CAI, HID's, a phat stereo system, and a idiot in the drivers seat...then so be it!

Retro!

Hater

I love nooBs...They make me look good

brought back from the dead but i wanna add something. I did my intake manifold swap and i was trying to be cheap and use the old seals. bad idea. replace them wheneve removing the injectors.

The Torque for the 3 bolts holding down the fuel rail is 9 ft/lbs or 108 in/lbs.
    BBB= Black Bumpered Beauty

MY MEMBERS RIDE PAGE

'98 Prelude (BB6) Type SH

Comment

thanks for bringing this back, i guess ill add something.

i work at autozone now and i found that we sell injector kits, so they probably have a injector seal kit for the accord most likely if you guys want to check there =)
      What makes me laugh about forums, is that no matter how much you try to help someone, they dont take the advice. Go ahead and do it the hard way.

You got to respect what you drive, and appreciate what you have, making the best of what you got. and if that means putting CAI, HID's, a phat stereo system, and a idiot in the drivers seat...then so be it!

Retro!

Hater

Comment

can you get a price quote? the ones that they sell at my local import parts shop are $7 a kit x 4 injectors = $28. i guess they're super expensive at the dealer.

MY MEMBERS RIDE PAGE

Comment

thats about what i paid at the dealer but ill check tomorrow.

Retro!

Hater

Comment

For the replacement of the 2 seals on top each injector and the 2 below each.....all times 4...is more like $35, not $60. If you paid $60 you got ripped off. And yes these are OEM Honda parts.

www.hondaautomotiveparts.com

If you don't buy rubber gloves, you'll save like $5 too
            HondaFan81 For Sale Parts (LOW PRICES ON EVERYTHING)

Comment

and i'd say buy rubber gloves. saves you 3 minutes of washing your hands with gojo. haha.

Oh, i have to give credit to Hondafan81 for looking up the torque specs.

MY MEMBERS RIDE PAGE

Comment

Why is it necessary to remove the big 17mm bolt? Whenever I remove my fuel rail I just undo the 3 smaller bolts holding it to the IM, then the 2 small bolts holding the electrical cables to the fuel rail. The fuel line is flexible, so you can move the rail as a whole aside. Anyway, I'm going to replace mine tomorrow since the rain interrupted me today. It's still going and its getting dark outside. Sigh, anyhow maybe I'll take some pictures too, and you can add them to the thread.

on the stairs, she grabs my arm, says whats up,
                where you been, is something wrong?
                i try to just smile, and say everything’s fine.

Comment

*Slaps forehead*
                  OK, now I see why. Everytime I've taken off my fuel rail it was while I was removing my IM. And when the IM is off (at least the plenum) you can remove the rail without removing that bolt.
                  BUT, if you are only removing the rail (for example here, where we are replacing the seals) it is necessary to lift the rail up and off the bolts.
                  Sorry, ignore me, accordztech was right the whole time.

BTW, the kit(s) I got from Autozone included an extra washer (rubber gasket o-ring) per kit. I tossed them since they are not on my fuel injector. After reassembling my IM+fuel rail the other day I noticed as fuel pressure built, one of the injectors was leaking. Instead of ignoring it like I might have another day, I ordered some o-rings and installed them. They are A+ now.

on the stairs, she grabs my arm, says whats up,
                  where you been, is something wrong?
                  i try to just smile, and say everything’s fine.

Comment

So are there 3 or 4 seals? In the picture from Honda parts websites they list 4. So does a picture of a Beck/Arnley seal kit. And HondaFan mentions 4.
                    But accordztech mentions 3 and looking at my injectors I only see 3.
                    And Accordaffair says there was an extra ring included.
                    If #4 is the ring that seats the injectors on the IM, what is #2 in this picture?
                    Metal Metal and more Metal!!!

How much does your wheel/tire combo weigh? Post here!
                    -=Suicide Crew Member #1 (only member so far)=-
                    MY RIDE

"I was hoping the Wolverine would finger one of those Japanese girls and then extend a claw into her b hole just for fun, BUT that never happened and I was extremely unsatisfied with the movie because of it." -Macaqueistrong

Comment

Originally posted by cokinut
                      brought back from the dead but i wanna add something. I did my intake manifold swap and i was trying to be cheap and use the old seals. bad idea. replace them wheneve removing the injectors.

The Torque for the 3 bolts holding down the fuel rail is 9 ft/lbs or 108 in/lbs.
                      does the torque specs actually matter?
                      i just tightened mine down, i didnt know there was tprque specs for the fuel rail....granted it shouldnt be liek finger tight.
                      I <3 G60.

0.5mm Oversized Stainless valves and bronze guides available. Pm me please.

Comment

Ok, so since no one answered I found out myself when I installed my H23 IM. There are 4.
                        Metal Metal and more Metal!!!

How much does your wheel/tire combo weigh? Post here!
                        -=Suicide Crew Member #1 (only member so far)=-
                        MY RIDE

"I was hoping the Wolverine would finger one of those Japanese girls and then extend a claw into her b hole just for fun, BUT that never happened and I was extremely unsatisfied with the movie because of it." -Macaqueistrong

Comment

Originally posted by accordztech
                          seals never last forever. once the fuel rail starts leaking you just have to replace the seals.
                          OK, sorry but it's stupid question time. What's the symptom of a leaking injector seal?

Smell or see gas around one or more injectors?

Or are the injector seals inside the injector, and when they go bad leak fuel into the runner causing rich/rough running?

I suppose if I was clearer on just where the seals are I'd know the answer!
                          >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>><<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

Comment

usually from the engine bay u can either see the fuel seeping or squirting out of the area where the injectors sit in the manifold.
                            not inside the injector

Retro!

Hater

Comment

I forgot to replace my injector seals after doing the Intake Manifold swap and you won't miss leaking fuel. Just smell where it's coming from, then you'll see it pouring out.

MY MEMBERS RIDE PAGE

Comment

Working...
                              X