X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ENG: cleaning out the IAC

tools:
    13 mm wrench
    throttle body cleaner thats safe for sensors (sea foam i use)
    q tips
    ---
    TIme required: 30 minutes
    diffuculty: (1-10) 3...
    ---
    you should clean your throttle body too. since thats apart of the intake system.
    ---
    why you should do this?
    the reason as to why you should do this is simple. over time the air filter lets in particles that builds up. all that stuff gets on the sensors and then kills a little MPG and performance. might as well clean it out...i noticed a increase in throttle response, and smoother engine performance.
    ---
    procedure:
    1. locate the IAC and remove the 2 gold 13mm bolts...(PIC # 1 & #2)
    2. pull off the IAC...and DO NOT REMOVE THE RUBBER LINES UNDER.
    3. get your throttle body cleaner and put the straw on and spray the screen. (dont spray too much just 2 shots).
    4. use the qtip and gently wipe away the black guew....use another one when it gets black.
    5. use a flathead screwdriver and gently edge the screen to get the surrounding gunk off.
    6. the screen should be pretty silver
    7. spray some throttle body cleaner into the holes that go into the IAC...let evaporate for 10 minutes
    8. clean the rubber ring with a rag and replace the IAC
    9. when u start the car make sure that u revv the car to get the carbon buildup out that the throttle body cleaner took out.
    ---
    you should notice a differnce in driveability. for a while, push the car to its limit to get carbon out...

***problems?***
    if u notice a low idle, u may have taken off the conenctor on the IAC (the black thing).

if ur car idles abnormally, the IAC is still wet...revv revv revv...let idle to dry or turn off and let dry....it shouldnt be like that for long.

adjust idle as well. then go ahead and reset ur ecu.

note: you can buy sea foam only in certain places....i got mine at napa i believe, or at tognotties. but any that is safe for throttle bodies and sensors is fine....

u can also spray a little cleaner into the PCV valve....

Last edited by accordztech; 09-11-2003, 01:08 AM.
    What makes me laugh about forums, is that no matter how much you try to help someone, they dont take the advice. Go ahead and do it the hard way.

You got to respect what you drive, and appreciate what you have, making the best of what you got. and if that means putting CAI, HID's, a phat stereo system, and a idiot in the drivers seat...then so be it!

Retro!

Hater

I love nooBs...They make me look good

Is the IAC, the part directly under the black hose, to the right of the throttle body, bolted onto the PGM-FI? I just want to make sure to remove the correct part.

Also, in both this and the throttle body post, you specify to adjust the idle and reset the ECU. How do you do this?

thanks.

Comment

the iac is that big black thing but it extends with those 2 bolts i circled. i think u got it right

adusting idle..ill get back to u in a bit =)
      What makes me laugh about forums, is that no matter how much you try to help someone, they dont take the advice. Go ahead and do it the hard way.

You got to respect what you drive, and appreciate what you have, making the best of what you got. and if that means putting CAI, HID's, a phat stereo system, and a idiot in the drivers seat...then so be it!

Retro!

Hater

Comment

http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...=&threadid=509

thats how to reset the ecu.

but my way is take off the ecu fuse for 1 minute...plug it in (after a warm up) and then i let the car sit for 15 minutes running

its hard to explain the idle adjustment procedure.

there is a small screw above the throttle body, u can see it from the passenger side. its black and its a flathead....well u just screw it in or out to adjust the idle. do u have a helms manual?

someone had a pic of it..maybe fizz does.

after u may just have too much fluid in that IAC..i hope u dont cause thats bad....i had to let my car idle for an hour....so remember..only 1 spray or 2 and then use q-tips...

Retro!

Hater

Comment

Originally posted by accordztech
          the iac is that big black thing but it extends with those 2 bolts i circled. i think u got it right

adusting idle..ill get back to u in a bit =)
          I think I'm going to have to look at the engine to make sure. it makes sense though. Thanks for your help. I almost bought a new IACV, before I read your DIY.

Comment

Originally posted by accordztech
            http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...=&threadid=509

thats how to reset the ecu.

but my way is take off the ecu fuse for 1 minute...plug it in (after a warm up) and then i let the car sit for 15 minutes running

its hard to explain the idle adjustment procedure.

there is a small screw above the throttle body, u can see it from the passenger side. its black and its a flathead....well u just screw it in or out to adjust the idle. do u have a helms manual?

someone had a pic of it..maybe fizz does.

after u may just have too much fluid in that IAC..i hope u dont cause thats bad....i had to let my car idle for an hour....so remember..only 1 spray or 2 and then use q-tips...
            Resetting the ECU is easy for me then, I'll disconnect the positive battery cable and then let the car idle for a while. Easy enough.

I haven't done the IAC cleaning yet, I've gotten home from work too late to do it the last few nights. But if cleaning the IAC doesn't clean up a somewhat rough idle, I may just nudge it up a tad.

I'll be sure to go light on the Sea Foam on the IAC. I know they are a $200 part and I'd prefer not to have to replace it.

Thanks again for all the help.

Comment

Well the cleaning went pretty well until I tore the screen while cleaning it. Do you think this matters? The car idles kind of funny now. I'm not sure if this is due to the cleaning, or that I increased the idle a little bit. It was idling at 600 before and now I have it at about 850.

When I come to a stop it hovers around 1400 and then drops down after about a minute to 850. Do you think that the small tear in the screen would have an effect on the idle? Is it worth finding a IAC at a junkyard to clean and then put in there?

Comment

OMG haha...u broke the screen...gosh how hard were u pushing on it? try to fix it by pulling it up i guess....

my idle went higher too...but then i had to put it very low for it to stabalize....then re-adjusted my throttle cable becuase i found it was out of sepcs....then i had no more problems with my idle...

also though i let my car idle for 30 minutes while it jumped up and down...revved it high a couple of times to make sure i got all the cleaner crap out of there.

try and reset ur ecu and if u can revv the motor for a while to get all the moisture out of that valve...

as i said, i had to lower my throttle cable a little bit but it was still in spec and then fiddle with my idle. i then drive it then park it to see if its still idling funnie.

tell me how it goes tomorrow...i dont think that screen has too much to do with it...but if its torn and its allowing more air to flow in....then thats a problem...thats why i said pull it back up.

do this: let the car warm up and then unlug that plug off the IAC...its a gray plug...the idle will go down...DO NOT RECONNECT IT!. does it still idle funny? before u put it on turn off the car and then re-connect it.

Retro!

Hater

Comment

It's a somewhat small tear on one side of the screen and I pulled as much of it back into place as I could before I buttoned it back up. I misread your directions and thought that they said to remove the screen with a screwdriver, instead of edging around the screen. Oh well. I figure I can find one at a junkyard if needbe (what would guess on a price for one?)

I cleaned the IAC on Saturday morning, reset the ECU, and then adjusted the Idle. I don't think there's any moisture in there right now. I drove about 250 miles on the highway this weekend, with more than enough speed to air everything out....

I'll try to disconnect that plug this afternoon and see what happens. The only time it jumps up I after I drive it and then come to a stop. Do you suggest I drive it after disconnecting that plug?

thanks

Comment

dont disconnect it and drive...=)...omg was it my fault that u mis read my direction?? if it is ill for sure change it or make it a little clearer hehe...

that happend to me, when i came to a complete stop...

can u pull bak on the accelerator or throttle linkage to see if it stops idling funny?

if u have AIM or AOL we can chat "pino401"

Retro!

Hater

Comment

I'm planning to clean my IAC too, since my idle is at 1200RPM when cold start, then it warm up and stay about 1000RPM and anytime when I put in in gear the RPM would jump up to 1300RPM? It get worst when I stop at a light it idle at 1200RPM and would chip the tire a bit as soon as I let the brake go and even without depressing the gas?

I try to reset the ECU, unplug the fuse for 1 minute and plug it back -in and the idle keep jumpimg from 600RPM to 1500RPM, On the a/f metter I see it go to full lean at 600RPM and then full rich 1500RPM, it stay at each RPM for about 3sec then jump. I unplug the IAC connector the the engine die, I was told it should not die but idle rough? I have turn the Idle screw all the way down but it did not help.

I check for any vaccum leak and found 1 vaccum line in the front mannifold on top of the fuel pressure regulator line was cut and plug with screw to keep air from comming in. and the vaccum line on the side of the manifold driver side was also pluged? I unplug it but it did no help I do feel it sucking in air from those 2 hole.
                      any suggestion????
                      90 Accord Coupe LX, Stock JDM H22A Engine 10.6:1 - Stock Automatic LSD MPA1 Trans, JDM P13 Auto ECU + JDM P19 TCU. Tune with Greddy E-Manage Ultimate
                      < 317WHP/227WTQ@11psi> B/W S256 turbo, Daily Driving on 93 pump gas - since 2006. Driving Turbocharged CB7 Accord since 2002.

Comment

sounds like it can be more than the IAC. my uncles car revved up and down and check engine light came on.....cleaning the IAC helped alot.

but your problem man, i would actually first post in the tech area...fizzbob would have some insight to your problem...much more than i can tell u at this time.

hehe it may be easy as pie, or a pain to diagnose that problem. i just dont want to mis lead you in saying things that i dont know FOR SURE you know?

Retro!

Hater

Comment

wait u have a turbo setup? hummmmm

Retro!

Hater

Comment

thanx for the tip...since i cleaned up the iac, the idle has been alot calmer...still waiting for my ecu(JDM F22B DOHC)...it should help the car run alot smoother...anymore advice, lemme know...you know your stuff...thanx
                            5.6L V8 32V DOHC
                            JDM HERITAGE - US BUILT

Comment

I'm going to clean my IAC and my ERG since I'm also getting cel code 12 (ERG) I was running very rich for about 2 week.

Any special thingto know when clean the ERG? it hold on by 2 bolt anything else I need to know?
                              90 Accord Coupe LX, Stock JDM H22A Engine 10.6:1 - Stock Automatic LSD MPA1 Trans, JDM P13 Auto ECU + JDM P19 TCU. Tune with Greddy E-Manage Ultimate
                              < 317WHP/227WTQ@11psi> B/W S256 turbo, Daily Driving on 93 pump gas - since 2006. Driving Turbocharged CB7 Accord since 2002.

Comment

Working...
                              X