ENG: cleaning the throttle body

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ENG: cleaning the throttle body

may be over whelming, but pretty simple...if in doubt, dont spray too much...

tools:
    -throttle body cleaner (sea foam preferd...other wise, anything safe for sensors thats a throttle body cleaner).
    -screw driver
    -maybe a second person to help

---reason to do this---
    over time, no matter what kind of filter you have, the old cars do get dirt in the intake system. it gets stuck on the throttle body and declines preformance. cleaning out the throttle body will help idle, and clean out sensors, hopefully.

---word---
    if u have an aftermarket intake system then half of this removing the intake housing is barley needed...just take out the intake.

---procedure---
    1. loosen the screw at the throttle body...
    2. loosen the screw at the intake filter housing...and remove the piping.
    3. there may be some vacumn lines in the way...if ur going to take those out, remember where they go...other wise remove the small ugly elbow under the intake pipe so that the vacumn lines become free.
    - now that u have the intake system off u should be able to look inside the throttle body. u can see the throttle plate that is controled by the gas pedal...if u dont see that ur car sucks.
    4. now with the car off spray some throttle body cleaner on the throttle plate...some gew should dissolve...if it still has some, get a rag and rubb it off....and any other guew around it
    5. open the the throttle plate by steppin on the gas or pressing the accelerator linkage and spray some inside the throttle body.
    6. let sit for 10 minutes and then start car.
    7. let car idle for a minute, then start revving happy.
    8. look at the muffler and u may see some white smoke..thats normal cause all the carbon that the throttle body cleaner ate up is now burnned....revv for a while from 1k rpm to near redline.
    9. now rev the car up to about 1.5k rpm and then spray one spray of cleaner into the throttle body...
    --it will sound nice, like turbo =)...the engines idle may go down....as long as u dont drown it.
    10. repeat this about 3 or 4 times...not too much cause u may flood the IAC. resulting in a weird idle.
    11. turn off the car and then replace all the parts...remember to connect the vacumn lines especially the one up by the throttle body...
    12. doubt check everything, tighten them screws and ur done.

its a good idea to check ur air box for leaks by feeling after the filter for grit of greese or something...things like that degrade performance and decrease engine life. if u do have a leak with a stock air box, u can buy some friction tape or use silicone to seal the filters seal...

--word of caution--
    try not to use too much throttle body cleaner for the sake of the IAC. but just let it evaporate for a while and ur fine...if u do end up using the whole bottle change ur oil...lolz...sometimes it will dillute your oil if u put too much.

o and dont put anything else into that throttle body that u cant take out...
    --problems..--
    you may encounter a higher idle than before.

adjust your idle and reset ur ecu.

my idle shot super high when i did this...

u can also spray a little cleaner into the PCV valve....
    Last edited by accordztech; 09-01-2003, 12:00 AM.
    What makes me laugh about forums, is that no matter how much you try to help someone, they dont take the advice. Go ahead and do it the hard way.

You got to respect what you drive, and appreciate what you have, making the best of what you got. and if that means putting CAI, HID's, a phat stereo system, and a idiot in the drivers seat...then so be it!

Retro!

Hater

I love nooBs...They make me look good

isnt it bad to turn on the engine and rev it without an air filter?

MY CB7

FULL part out thread:
    http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=204494

Comment

i would say nah but don't do it alot..

Ride: 2002 Lexus IS300

Comment

had the intake off while installing an SRI today, so i gave this a try with some brake cleaner, hope it helped a little bit..the cb looked like the engine was getting hotboxed cause i have a broken flexpipe and most of the exhaust comes out the front
        IG:worldboss_sanjcb7

Comment

Working...
        X