Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ENG: Do Your Own Oil Change

Do Your Own Oil Change

I used to go to shops to do this, but I realized that it was so simple, and I refuse to pay 60 bux for a synthetic oil change that comes with a crappy FRAM filter. So now, I change my own oil all the time. (except for the one time it was phucking freezing outside, so i went to walmart...)
    This should be the same for other cars.

Tools required:

_·17mm socket (for the oil drain plug nut)
    _·oil drain plug washer (to replace the old one)
    _·oil filter wrench (to help remove the oil filter)
    _·oil drain pan (for the old oil to drain out into)
    _·jack
    _·jack stands
    _·rags (you WILL get oil over yourself)
    _·funnel (to funnel new oil into engine)

Procedure:

1) jack up the front of the car, use the jack points or the front tow hooks. Place jack stands under the jack points or front tow hooks, whichever is free.
    2) Pop up the hood (gives you a bit of light from under the car).
    3) place oil drain pan under the oil drain plug. Keep in mind that the oil will shoot out, so place the pan a bit in front of the bolt. (peeing trajectory)
    4) using 14mm socket, loosen oil drain bolt.. if it's on tight (which it shouldn't be) use a breaker bar. Be careful not to strip the bolt. Once the bolt is loose, hand loosen until it is almost off... then quickly remove the bolt and let the oil drain into the oil drain pan. Be sure that you removed the drain bolt washer too.
    5) throw away the washer, you should always use a new one (~25 cents at dealership), but if you don't have one handy, the old one can be used twice... don't use more than that otherwise it might leak.
    6) put new washer on the bolt and screw back on the oil pan. Be careful not to overtighten.
    7) Using the oil filter wrench, remove the oil filter. Be careful not to be directly under the oil filter cuz oil will come out once u remove the filter. Once the old filter is out, pour some fresh oil into the new filter until the new filter is 3/4 full. This takes ~10-20 seconds as the oil filter slowly soaks up the oil. Take a finger and dab it in the oil, lube the seals with finger. Take new filter and screw onto engine... HAND TIGHTEN ONLY!
    Use rags and clean up oil around the headers, downpipe, transaxle, ground, face, arms, hands... anywhere where there is oil.
    9) on the top of the engine, unscrew the oil filler cap, using funnel, pour fresh oil in. Be careful not to spill oil on the engine/belts/...etc. Using rag, clean up any spilt oil. For 6th gens, I put in 4.5L.
    10) put oil filler cap on, clean up any oil, and go start the car. (note that it's still on jack stands).
    11) ignore any fumes as the spilt oil will now burn off... go crawl under the car, and check to see if there are any leaks from the oil drain plug, or the oil filter. If no, then go shut the car off.
    12) Check the oil level with dipstick, and fill to appropriate levels if necessary.
    13) lower the car. You're done.
    14) You will notice that for the next drive, you will smell burnt oil, that is normal. The oil that you spilt over the engine/exhaust/downpipe is just burning off.
    You can get rid of the old oil at any gas station that processes oil or any other oil changers.
    The whole process takes me 30-45min.
    Your first time will take you longer. I recommend a decent jack, the jack that comes with the car is a POS.
    And ALWAYS use jack stands to support the car, not the jack.
    -Written by twg
    Last edited by Audio Accord; 09-01-2003, 12:44 PM.

Hm.... only difference I'm going to note is that my drain plug requires a 17mm socket. All the Hondas I've ever had to work with in my family (93 accord, 95 civic, 97 del sol, 98 prelude, and 02 accord) all used 17mm.
    Once upon a time I took a joyride in a Huayra...

Comment

this how to has proven to be most useful. I changed my oil myself today, having never done it before using this and my haynes manual (so i could know how much to put in)

if you guys are interested in some pics i took go here

http://www.clubcivic.com/board/showt...&threadid=5724

Comment

shouldnt you check the oil levels when the car is level? Your insturctions say to check it while the car is still on stands.

step 12.

Comment

Originally posted by dookie320
          shouldnt you check the oil levels when the car is level? Your insturctions say to check it while the car is still on stands.

step 12.
          whoa hi, u still visit?

- 1993 Accord LX - White sedan (sold)
          - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (wrecked)
          - 1991 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
          - 1990 Accord EX - Grey sedan (sold)
          - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
          - 1992 Accord EX - White coupe (sold)
          - 1993 Accord EX - Grey coupe (stolen)
          - 1993 Accord SE - Gold coupe (sold)
          Current cars:
          - 2005 Subaru Legacy GT Wagon - Daily driver
          - 2004 Chevrolet Express AWD - Camper conversion

Comment

didnt know someone needed a diy for this, lol.
            I <3 G60.

0.5mm Oversized Stainless valves and bronze guides available. Pm me please.

Comment

man, I do this ALOT ato work..I change my oil about every 2000 miles..The bolt is 17mm, and get some brake cleaner. It will clean up all teh oil spilt on the downpipe, and side of the block. Also, check oil when the car is down..it's just safer that way. The car will be more prone ot fall with you in it, and it checks better when level..trust me..depepnding on the motor, you 4th gen'ers will need around 3.7 quarts of oil. Also, go to your local tires plus and get a TF 2808 oil filter..or, go to napa and ask. The number most commonly found on the filters (depepnding on the company who makes them) is 2808. that is the same filter msot all hondas use, just liek the plug is 17mm, and most nuts hondas have are 8, 10,12..etc. post a sticker in your window too...so you remember to replace it later. Also, when changing the filter, look to see that the rubber o-ring came off of the old one, and is not still stuck to the block. this could be MAJOR problems for ya later. it also helps to pull the cap off of the top of the top of the motor before draining..it works like a gas tank for your mower. The gas will come out slow, until you release some pressure..try it..other then that, have fun. now, anyone wanna know how to check brake fluid, coolant, serp belts, brakes, and all that good stuff?

-A. Swift
              CB7 member number 137
              Black Doubt Crew member #2
              Ebay Whore Club member #5

-I was at the dentist, breathin' in some nitrous oxide (laughing gas) and all of a sudden..I ran faster!!!

AIM: boostinswifty38

alipne 7995 deck, pioneer 400w 4 ch amp, and all the wires for sale..500 obo!

R/C cars and a heli for sale..2 airbrushes, paints, bodies galore..etc etc..tc3 and xxx buggy for sale..400 for it all! hit me up for details n pics

Comment

Originally posted by cpmike
                whoa hi, u still visit?
                why not, just bc i "help" at AT (i dont do shit actually) doesnt mean i cant browse around =). besides, as long as people are able to find the info helpful, be it here, at AT or anywhere else is a good thing.

Originally posted by wed3k
                didnt know someone needed a diy for this, lol.
                I didnt know you were one of the lucky few to be born with this knowledge.

Anyway, I was saying to check the oil level when the car is level to get better readings, thats what i do anyway.

Also, after I have drained the oil, i usually leave it unplugged and pour a little bit of fresh oil in there just to help flush it out. i figure oil is cheap so why not

Comment

Originally posted by dookie320
                  why not, just bc i "help" at AT (i dont do shit actually) doesnt mean i cant browse around =). besides, as long as people are able to find the info helpful, be it here, at AT or anywhere else is a good thing.

I didnt know you were one of the lucky few to be born with this knowledge.

Anyway, I was saying to check the oil level when the car is level to get better readings, thats what i do anyway.

Also, after I have drained the oil, i usually leave it unplugged and pour a little bit of fresh oil in there just to help flush it out. i figure oil is cheap so why not
                  yea exactly, use that extra .3 of oil.
                  I <3 G60.

Comment

hey guys i just did this tonight, my dipstick is just a tiny bit over the top hole is that ok?

"You've done more threatening prescription drugs..."
                    "the character of a man can be judged by how he takes his criticism"
                    "Quoting yourself is like, masturbation" -Starchland

Comment

Originally posted by starchland
                      hey guys i just did this tonight, my dipstick is just a tiny bit over the top hole is that ok?
                      when warm?
                      I <3 G60.

Comment

yes

Comment

FLAT SURFACE

park it and leave it off over night, next day b4 start, CHECK stick. DONT over top oil.
                          hahahahah

Comment

ok checked it cold on a flat surface, its right between the 2 holes, thanks for the help guys now i will know what to do next time.

Comment

diy on a oil change?!?! wow NEWB LOL

jk

nice write up for the one's that need it

Dynamic racing

Look out for 4 point cb7 strut bars for dohc!!!

Originally posted by deevergote
                              bleh... i just put like 5 ounces of vodka in a 12 oz cup of mango iced tea...

Comment

Working...
                              X