ENG: DIY Engine Detailing/Cleaning

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ENG: DIY Engine Detailing/Cleaning

If you want to detail your engine, and have it lookin' like new again, then my work is a way to go. I've been detailing engines since I had my CRX, and I decided to take my work to my Accord.

Now, my work isn't the greatest, but it's the least amount of work to get the job done.

Tools You'll Need :

-Two or three small hand cloths
    -Dupont Teflon Silicone Lubercant
    -WD-40
    -Mothers Mag & Aluminum Polish
    -Engine Degreaser
    -Water

Fig. 1 - The tools you'll need. Engine Degreaser not shown.

Step 1.

If your engine is full of road dust, dirt and grime, you'll need to first start off by using the engine degreaser to eat away at all this. Spray in areas that you may see that might need the most treatment. Be sure to keep away from import parts of your car such as intake, alternator, distributor, etc. Cover these up if you want. Let engine degreaser sit for about 10 minutes.

Step 2.

After 10 minutes has passed, go over your engine to see if you missed any spots. If so, go ahead and take care of these by applying a small amount of engine degreaser on a cloth and wipe away.

Step 3.

Lightly spray water over the engine to get rid of left over engine degreaser, making sure you stay clear of the important parts. Once your engine is mostly cover in water, let dry or hand dry for about 10 to 15 minutes.

The above parts aren't shown in pictures, but I have done this before. Once you take care of the above three steps, the rest of the below steps should be what you need to do for the rest of the time you want to clean your engine, unless it gets real dirty again.

Step 4.

Fig. 2 - Prepping. Make sure you got the stuff you need.

Once your engine is dry, go over it to wipe away any dirt you may see. Make surre if you really want to detail, to get in the small spots that you normally don't look at.

Step 5.

This is where the Mothers Mag & Aluminum Polish comes in. If you have any parts on your engine that can be polished, go ahead and use this now. Apply a small amount on a cloth, and buff until' fully coated. Once you are done buffing, use a clean cloth to buff away the polish. You'll start to see a shine. The longer you buff, the more shine you get.

Polish any parts you may want to do. I have a polished distribitor, and breather filiters that have chrome tops. Also my oil cap.

Fig. 3 - Polished.

Step 6.

Once you are done polishing, you will now use the WD-40. I use WD-40 because it coast the engine, and leaves a nice shine on it, that last for a good two weeks.

Cover up important parts. You don't want to ruin anything. And I don't want to see this happen to your car. You can detail the important parts by hand later.

Fig. 4 - It is very important that you cover up these things. You don't want to ruin them.

Lightly spray WD-40 over your entire engine bay. I do about three coats. You don't want to over spray, because you'll get alot od dripping.

Once that is done, go over and find any spots you may have missed.

Step 7.

Now, for the final step. The Dupont Teflon Silcone Lubericant comes in handy for your rubber hoses and wires. I lightly coated my wires using this, to get the shine. You can use WD-40 if you want, but I use the lubericant because it seems to last alittle longer.

Also, the lubricant comes in handy for your windows run channels if you have sluggish windows.

And you should be done. Your results should look like mine.

Hope this helps. Any questions, or suggestions, feel free to post them.

:::Jeremy

[ My Car Domian ] - [ My Members Ride Thread ] - [ Facebook ]

My Top CB7Tuners :

TypeG
    aww_shiet
    91accordexr33

Nice Write Up
    92 accord dx....traded
    97 accord ex....traded
    93 civic si ....stolen
    96 tercel ....sold
    97 ek hatch b17 ..traded
    97 civic 4door b16 sold
    04 tsx traded ...for a honda coupe (top secret)

Comment

yeah, i'll have to get some of that Mothers metal polish for chrome parts in the engine bay!

Comment

im gonna try dis soon, thanks

... but im kinda a newb, soo wht are evrything yu hav to cover ?? do i hav to cover battery too ?? can yu show me a picture, showing which things need to be covered ??

it will be greatly appreciated
        thanks

Comment

good stuff.
          I <3 G60.

0.5mm Oversized Stainless valves and bronze guides available. Pm me please.

Comment

Originally posted by babyface
            im gonna try dis soon, thanks

... but im kinda a newb, soo wht are evrything yu hav to cover ?? do i hav to cover battery too ?? can yu show me a picture, showing which things need to be covered ??

it will be greatly appreciated
            thanks

Things in red are the things you should cover.
            Green, isn't required, but if you want to be safe, you can. I never did.

Hope this helps.

My Top CB7Tuners :

TypeG
            aww_shiet
            91accordexr33

Comment

makes me filled with joy seeing my engine bay super clean

1993 Honda Accord LX 2004-2009
              1996 Honda Civic LX 2009-2012
              2012 Kia Optima LX 2012-2013
              2010 Honda Accord EX-L V6 2013-2018
              2007 Honda Fit Sport 2017-2017
              2018 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0T 2018-20XX

Comment

Originally posted by wed3k
                good stuff.

ditto. ill do this one day.

Comment

looks pretty good. later.
                  Avoiding dirt at all costs

Comment

looks good i may try that tommorow

Comment

damnn my engine bay could use some cleanin...so shinnyy

MY 1n2 CB7

Comment

Originally posted by LordXaero

Things in red are the things you should cover.
                        Green, isn't required, but if you want to be safe, you can. I never did.

Hope this helps.

thanks

Comment

you could eat off that thing

Comment

For the rubber parts ....well most of the engine.... I use tire dressing, the foamingg stuff. They work great because it gives a shine to the hoses and plastic.

Great achievements result from great effort

Comment

Originally posted by i_love_cb7
                              For the rubber parts ....well most of the engine.... I use tire dressing, the foamingg stuff. They work great because it gives a shine to the hoses and plastic.
                              Silcon Lubricant does well too. Thats what I use.

My Top CB7Tuners :

TypeG
                              aww_shiet
                              91accordexr33

Comment

Working...
                              X