No announcement yet.

ENG: DIY polishing small parts with a dremel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have to say that this all look bad azz...but I have to ask...are all these parts just stock parts? or were they chromed parts? thanks
    "I can imagine no more rewarding a career. And any man who may be asked in this century what he did to make his life worthwhile, I think I can respond with a good deal of pride and satisfaction: 'I served in the United States Navy." --President John F. Kennedy

ASE Master Automotive Technician
    ASE Master Med/Heavy Truck Technician
    US Navy Electrician
    Contact me if you need help on the side.
    '92 Accord DX (For Sale)
    '01 Civic LX
    '00 Tahoe

Greatest Rally Video Ever

Comment

Originally posted by drkshdw107
      I have to say that this all look bad azz...but I have to ask...are all these parts just stock parts? or were they chromed parts? thanks
      they're all stock parts and they're polished (raw metal finish) not chrome plated.

polished aluminum is about 80% reflective, where chrome is closer to 100% reflective. some people can't tell the difference between the 2, but chrome has more luster. later.
      Avoiding dirt at all costs

Comment

Originally posted by TypeG
        they're all stock parts and they're polished (raw metal finish) not chrome plated.

polished aluminum is about 80% reflective, where chrome is closer to 100% reflective. some people can't tell the difference between the 2, but chrome has more luster. later.
        Thats awsome man...I didn't know you could do that with metal, very impressive...does this work with stainless steel too? thanks
        "I can imagine no more rewarding a career. And any man who may be asked in this century what he did to make his life worthwhile, I think I can respond with a good deal of pride and satisfaction: 'I served in the United States Navy." --President John F. Kennedy

ASE Master Automotive Technician
        ASE Master Med/Heavy Truck Technician
        US Navy Electrician
        Contact me if you need help on the side.
        '92 Accord DX (For Sale)
        '01 Civic LX
        '00 Tahoe

Greatest Rally Video Ever

Comment

Originally posted by drkshdw107
          does this work with stainless steel too? thanks
          yup. later.

Comment

*no words*
            but you are the man for sharing this info.
            My 91 Accord F22B DOHC MR

My 1996 Civic Ex H23A VTEC MR

Comment

Originally posted by Smokinspeeds
              *no words*
              but you are the man for sharing this info.
              haha, no problem.

just remember this method is for smaller parts and detailed work. use bigger tools (orbital sander) for bigger things. later.

Comment

ok two questions since I'm trying to get into this...
                1: where to find more buffing wheels than just the powerball(and now the powerball mini) b/c car parts shops cary the polish and that's about it

2: I just noticed the billet polish myself at the store and what dif would that have vs the metal polish and the plastic (finer) polish -which I haven't seen in mothers form b/c here everyone has 3m rubbing compound.. and is it something that in addition the the metal and 3m rubbing would benefit me in the final polish?

And if you know something that'll strip the weird coating off an F22b that'd help as well cause sanding that crap is a pain especially around the letters.

Comment

ok two questions since I'm trying to get into this...
                  1: where to find more buffing wheels than just the powerball(and now the powerball mini) b/c car parts shops cary the polish and that's about it
                  probably the best places to look for more buffing wheels is online and places like home depot and lowes in the tool section.

2: I just noticed the billet polish myself at the store and what dif would that have vs the metal polish and the plastic (finer) polish -which I haven't seen in mothers form b/c here everyone has 3m rubbing compound.. and is it something that in addition the the metal and 3m rubbing would benefit me in the final polish?
                  i can't see 3m rubbing compound or plastic polish being useful in metal polishing at all. they were made for paint and plastic. the compounds in the metal polish are much different.

when i polish a part with mag and aluminum polish i go back over it with billet polish. this is how i get the polished parts of my motor to look real close to chrome. the billet polish is a finer polish than the mag polish. the billet polish should be used as a final polish only because it is to fine to cut like the mag polish.

And if you know something that'll strip the weird coating off an F22b that'd help as well cause sanding that crap is a pain especially around the letters.
                  i use aircraft stripper to remove the paint. it is much easier than sanding it off and save tons of time. later.

Comment

yeah I was gonnsa look at home depot next. Ok, haven't used the rubbing compound on metal, wont. Just didn't want to buy the $12 or so billet polish if I didn't need to.

Now where the heck can I find aircraft stripper? I also have some 34% acetone or something burning like that, if I mix that down a bit could it work? (I could always just try lol...)

Comment

yeah the billet polish is a little pricey. don't feel that you have to use it, you can still get really good results with the mag and aluminum polish. the billet polish is for that ''extra mile'', lol.

you can buy that aircraft stripper at any car parts store of even at a home improvement store. later.

Comment

Now where the heck can I find aircraft stripper? I also have some 34% acetone or something burning like that, if I mix that down a bit could it work? (I could always just try lol...)
                        i found mine at the autoparts store too near the spray paint i think

oh btw TypeG what do u suggest to clean and engime up i just got a h22 its pretty dirty and i wanna clean it up and maybe polish some stuff while its out ya know

Ride List
                        1990 Accord dx coupe - my baby (dsm turbo set up in progress) http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3202853
                        2005 Mazda 6s - daily driver http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3171724(totaled)
                        newest 2006 mazdaspeed 6 http://www.cardomain.com/ride/4073987/2006-mazda-mazda6

Comment

holy cow...thats incredible, honestly i didnt know it could ever look that good. how long did the big stuff (exhaust manifold cover, valve cover) take you?

Proud owner of the only JJDM full 2.5" catback exhaust!

Comment

Originally posted by oranger
                            holy cow...thats incredible, honestly i didnt know it could ever look that good. how long did the big stuff (exhaust manifold cover, valve cover) take you?
                            a while. later.

Comment

since i have plenty of time on my hands im just wondering since ive starting polishing my rims if there would be a difference in tools?

the rims already have paint in them im trying to strip off the paint but i have experimented by just sanding it off.

240g, 320g, 400g so far and i got these results

Comment

Originally posted by GHOST 2.2
                                since i have plenty of time on my hands im just wondering since ive starting polishing my rims if there would be a difference in tools?

the rims already have paint in them im trying to strip off the paint but i have experimented by just sanding it off.

240g, 320g, 400g so far and i got these results
                                for wheels i'd use and orbital sander followed by hand sanding or just hand sanding like you've already been doing. since you asked about tools, don't use a dremel anywhere on the rim.

i'd use aircraft paint remover to remove the paint also. later.

Comment

Working...
                                X