• Show
Clear All

i just wish i had the patience. Good DIY, and the pieces look real good
    Audi A4 2.8 Quattro Sport

Comment

Originally posted by HF22T
      someone apperantly has way to much time on their hands and i love that
      Time is money...looks awesome.
      Hey I have a dremal, and mothers polish. I guess I can do my own distributor then.
      Metal Metal and more Metal!!!

How much does your wheel/tire combo weigh? Post here!
      -=Suicide Crew Member #1 (only member so far)=-
      MY RIDE

"I was hoping the Wolverine would finger one of those Japanese girls and then extend a claw into her b hole just for fun, BUT that never happened and I was extremely unsatisfied with the movie because of it." -Macaqueistrong

Comment

Is there anything that can be applied to the metal afterwards to protect it from staining/tarnishing/etc...?

on the stairs, she grabs my arm, says whats up,
        where you been, is something wrong?
        i try to just smile, and say everything’s fine.

Comment

Originally posted by accordaffair
          Is there anything that can be applied to the metal afterwards to protect it from staining/tarnishing/etc...?
          some people wax the metal. there is a sealent you can get, but the name has slipped my mind. i just polish mine once on a while and that works for me. later.
          Avoiding dirt at all costs

Comment

i love the way you think dude !

very very good job
            WE MISS YOU JO(9-04-2008)

Comment

G, you are inspiring. Bought a dremel and polishing everything i can. I hope the calipers stay polished instead of fading or rusting/tarnishing. Anyway thanks for the ideas.
              Every Knee Shall Bow-Isaiah 45:23

Comment

those calipers will rust cause they're made from mild steel. put a magnet up to it and if it's mild steel, the magnet will stick, if not, they're aluminum. later.

Comment

my oh my, you must have a lot of patience and determination, cause when I first got my rims, I knew I could totally polish it till it looks almost new, but I got sick of it and settle with good enough. I'm Speechless.

Comment

If my paint on my rims ever chip or fade I will strip and polishthem as well. I already tested it on the back of the rim- It came out pretty sweet. My rear calipers are still shiny. I have only done one front caliper-DS, and it is a little duller/rustier than when I polished it. But if all it takes is to run 1000 over it and quick polish with every wash, it is worth it to me. Keep Blingin'
                    Every Knee Shall Bow-Isaiah 45:23

Comment

Wow.... I've done some polishing and it's a beyotch!! Flat parts are easier, but you really have a perfected technique. Very nice DIY, I will refer to it when I have more patience to polish stuff..... LOL
                      1992 Accord LX - SOLD

Comment

Originally posted by TypeG
                        do you mean the plastic one or the metal flap in the run channel? if it's the metal one i think it is already polished, though i bet i could improve it some. later.

The metal. Mine and several other people's deflectors seem to be tarnishing. It looks like it may be chromed as there's some blistering on the surface. What do you think it could be?

Comment

Originally posted by Prez808
                          The metal. Mine and several other people's deflectors seem to be tarnishing. It looks like it may be chromed as there's some blistering on the surface. What do you think it could be?
                          it appears as if some of it is stainless steel and some of it is chrome.

i put a magnet on it and it stuck, so that tells me it's not aluminum. then i used some metal polish on it and it turned the cloth black almost instantly, which tells me it's not chrome plated.

the corner pieces are chrome. i could see the blemishes in it and when i applied metal polish to it no black residue appeared.

the side pieces seem to be stainless as well. note the deep scratches and lack of rust. they wouldn't use aluminum here because it fatigues over time.

later.
                          Last edited by TypeG; 07-17-2008, 10:22 PM.

Comment

hey homie G, sorry had to say that, By chance how long after the first wax coat, did it take before you cleaned it and did it again. I just gotta drummel and was thinking about doing my legend wheels, polishing my exhaust, and the chrome peices. I was thinking about redoing my header and sanding the inside of my throttle body.
                            1)92 Accord lx - I/E w/ valves, springs and retainers. H22 bored to h23 not goin in this summer.--Totaled
                            2)92 Accord Ex - I/E and loving the sound.
                            3)89 Integra Lx - loving the new old-school.

ITS NOT HOW MUCH HORSEPOWER YOU HAVE, ITS HOW MUCH POWER YOUR HORSES CAN MAKE
                            Now serving the Red, White and Blue under the U.S.A.F
                            Now Working at.......Dyess AFB

Comment

damn that shit is cool man type g is a polishing fiend im suprised you didnt polish your radiator hoses lol j/k keep up the bling man peace

Ride List
                              1990 Accord dx coupe - my baby (dsm turbo set up in progress) http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3202853
                              2005 Mazda 6s - daily driver http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3171724(totaled)
                              newest 2006 mazdaspeed 6 http://www.cardomain.com/ride/4073987/2006-mazda-mazda6

Comment

Originally posted by DaBzzMn
                                By chance how long after the first wax coat, did it take before you cleaned it and did it again.
                                i didn't use wax. what i used is a metal polish. and it stays polished for quite a while before it needs to be polished again. a lot of it depends on conditions and climate.

Originally posted by DaBzzMn
                                I just gotta drummel and was thinking about doing my legend wheels, polishing my exhaust, and the chrome peices.
                                you probably don't want to use a dremel on wheels or other big things as it's not very practical, instead use an orbital sander with say 320 grit sandpaper, then switch to hand sanding, 400>600>1000>1200> polish.

on your chrome pieces, use chrome polish. later.

Comment

Working...
                                X