ENG: F22 Spark Plug Tube Seal Replacement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by H311RA151N View Post
    No. Behind that is the cam gear. The crank pulley is behind this part of the splash shield located behind the driver side wheel and tire. Yours will have similar slots in the cover. That's for putting a socket on the crank pulley bolt.
    Okay perfect thank you. I got a socket on it and it does turn the cam, a little hard to turn but it goes. Did a few rotations no problem.
    Went back and checked on the power steering pump and I can get it to turn about 1/4 turn back and forth but no further. Is that right?

RIP my last two CB7s.
    New rides:
    '82 Volvo 245 drift project
    '87 Volvo 244 daily
    Born2DieApparel.com

Comment

Originally posted by TheFunk View Post
      Okay perfect thank you. I got a socket on it and it does turn the cam, a little hard to turn but it goes. Did a few rotations no problem.
      Went back and checked on the power steering pump and I can get it to turn about 1/4 turn back and forth but no further. Is that right?
      Do you have your socket on the crank while you turn it? If not you will want to. I have never turned one over by the cam gear and I wouldn't recommend it.

Try it on the crank pulley bolt. Nice and easy, with all the spark plugs removed and the car out of gear (if its a 5 speed) it should turn over pretty easy (within reason). You are turning over the entire rotating assembly so it will take some effort.

If it doesn't spin easily or gets to a point then stops let me or dj ender know. If that's the case dj ender will probably be of better assistance than I will be but I will still try to help you.

EDIT... you are to the point where the seals are replaced, the rocker assembly is torqued down properly and your setting the valve lash correct? I'm asking this just to be sure.
      Last edited by H311RA151N; 07-13-2014, 02:15 AM.

Comment

Do you have your socket on the crank while you turn it? If not you will want to. I have never turned one over by the cam gear and I wouldn't recommend it.

Try it on the crank pulley bolt. Nice and easy, with all the spark plugs removed and the car out of gear (if its a 5 speed) it should turn over pretty easy (within reason). You are turning over the entire rotating assembly so it will take some effort.

If it doesn't spin easily or gets to a point then stops let me or dj ender know. If that's the case dj ender will probably be of better assistance than I will be but I will still try to help you.

EDIT... you are to the point where the seals are replaced, the rocker assembly is torqued down properly and your setting the valve lash correct? I'm asking this just to be sure.
        Sorry should've been more clear, I got a socket on the crank pully bolt and it turned.
        Never took that cover off for the cam gear.
        But only wants to turn a 1/4 rotation then stops with it on the power steering pump bolt.

And yes, assuming this is the way this is supposed to be turning I'm ready to make the valve adjustments. Just want to make nothing is bound up in any way before continuing on.

RIP my last two CB7s.
        New rides:
        '87 Volvo 244 daily
        Born2DieApparel.com

Comment

Sorry should've been more clear, I got a socket on the crank pully bolt and it turned.
          But only wants to turn a 1/4 rotation then stops with it on the power steering pump bolt.

And yes, assuming this is the way this is supposed to be turning I'm ready to make the valve adjustments. Just want to make nothing is bound up in any way before continuing on.
          Ok, with the socket on the crank pulleybolt, if it turned over correctly (did not stop within a 1/4 rotation as it did with the socket on the power steering pump bolt) then you are ok to proceed with setting the valve lash.

I would completely turn it over a couple times (360*) just to be certain before proceeding unless you already have. You will turn the engine counterclockwise.

Just to be 100% clear, the cam gear needs to be exposed (remove the cover you were pointing to) in order to set the lash for #2 #3 & #4. I'm just saying this because I see you have not done so yet and because of the confusion before with the cam gear and crank pulley. There is only one TDC mark on the flywheel and that's for #1. You will have to find TDC for 2, 3 & 4 via the cam gear.
          Last edited by H311RA151N; 07-13-2014, 02:36 AM.

Comment

Ok, with the socket on the crank pulleybolt, if it turned over correctly (did not stop within a 1/4 rotation as it did with the socket on the power steering pump bolt) then you are ok to proceed with setting the valve lash.

I would completely turn it over a couple times (360*) just to be certain before proceeding unless you already have. You will turn the engine counterclockwise.

Just to be 100% clear, the cam gear needs to be exposed (remove the cover you were pointing to) in order to set the lash for #2 #3 & #4. I'm just saying this because I see you have not done so yet and because of the confusion before with the cam gear and crank pulley. There is only one TDC mark on the flywheel and that's for #1. You will have to find TDC for 2, 3 & 4 via the cam gear.
            I'm going off of Ericthecarguy's Accord valve adjustment tutorial for setting the valves. He doesnt remove the cam gear cover and instead just looks in at the cam to make sure the lobe is 180 degrees from the rocker arm being adjusted.

I did get the two visible bolts and the electrical cable off of the cam gear cover though. Still doesnt want to budge.

Throwing in the towel for the night, will be continuing first thing in the morning.

RIP my last two CB7s.
            New rides:
            '87 Volvo 244 daily
            Born2DieApparel.com

Comment

The top cover doesn't need to be removed, all it does is to show the UP indicator on the cam gear. How tight is your power steering belt? If it's loose, it won't turn the cam easily.
              Originally posted by Mishakol129
              Do not disrespect my intelligence. I am the smartest person I know : )

Comment

I guess I don't prefer to do it that way as I feel like I'm doing it blind. I try to get the arrow directly 9:00, directly down and directly 3:00. Maybe I just have OCD.

Comment

Well.....technically, its not straight up down. But I do see your point, people new to the procedure can benefit from removing the cover. I just don't find it necessary anymore.
                  Originally posted by Mishakol129
                  Do not disrespect my intelligence. I am the smartest person I know : )

Comment

Sitting here messing around with feeler gauges and a complete spare head, it really is unnecessary. A large area on the back side of each camshaft lobe is the same distance away from the rocker pad. Close to 150*. So there is no need to be so precise. Looks like your bit of information will save me time in the future.

Comment

Not being able to see the camshaft when I'm down turning the crankshaft pulley is making this pretty difficult.
                      Why am I not able to move it like this:
                      http://youtu.be/P7wI4EtZSaA

RIP my last two CB7s.
                      New rides:
                      '87 Volvo 244 daily
                      Born2DieApparel.com

Comment

Not being able to see the camshaft when I'm down turning the crankshaft pulley is making this pretty difficult.
                        Why am I not able to move it like this:
                        http://youtu.be/P7wI4EtZSaA
                        With the top cover off (cam gear cover) you are able to see where the cam gear arrow is at while turning the engine over via the crankshaft bolt.

How are you able to move it? How does yours move?

EDIT... I don't care how ETCG is turning the engine over. I have never turned one over by using the power steering pulley bolt so I have no idea how it feels. When you turn any engine over you use the crankshaft bolt. That's the proper way of doing it.

If you are concerned with not being able to turn the engine over with the power steering pulley bolt then don't be as it doesn't matter. What matters is if you can tun it over by the crankshaft pulley bolt.

I like ETCG but that video is too fly by night. Especially for first timers.
                        Last edited by H311RA151N; 07-13-2014, 04:32 PM.

Comment

I got it now. Had someone bring me a jack and a few more extension bars so I could take it off ramps and get the tire off. Moving along nicely now.

Edit:
                          Everything is back together and running smooth. Drove it around a bit and didn't notice any issues.

Thank you very much for the help Ender and Hellraisin.

On a side note, right before i put the wheel back on I test fit my recently purchased craigslist rims... And came to find that the seller gave the wrong measurement and the bolt pattern is not going to match up.
                          Last edited by TheFunk; 07-14-2014, 02:50 AM.

RIP my last two CB7s.
                          New rides:
                          '87 Volvo 244 daily
                          Born2DieApparel.com

Comment

Working...
                          X