Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DIY: Magnetic Oil Plug + Oil Filter

Saw this on another forum.

Spoon has a magnetic drain plug and there are various companies that offer drain plugs that are magnetic. Here's a way to make your own using rare earth magnetic from hard drives and attaching them to your stock plug with some adhesive.

Originally posted by TeamIntegra
    Tools required:
    Really tiny torx (good luck finding these)
    OR, a cheap set of flat head mini screwdrivers.

With the torx screwdrivers the disassembly is obvious so...

INSTRUCTIONS WITH MINI FLAT HEADS...
    1. Peel off all the labels on the HDD (screws hide under the "VOID" stickers.
    2. find a small flat head that will fit almost into the torx.
    3. Pound in the screwdriver, and grab the flat head with pliers and twist to loosen the screws.
    4. repeat until the top pops off. The rare earth magnets are above and below the fat side of the magnetic arm to read data.

You may find that some screws are a bitch and strip. In this situation, bust out a drill and make them your bitch
    Magnet will look like this

Yes that's a Double D battery ;p

Or you can just go out and buy a super plug like this

But this diy is for ppl who dont want to spend $20+ on a bolt ha. Someone rated the earth metal magnetic, apparently it can take up to 8lbs lol.

http://www.superplug.com/home.html

The result, pic of a spoon plug

oh yeah and a magnetic filter sleeve

FilterMag's Neodymium magnets
    Last edited by ikayto; 02-17-2008, 04:41 PM.

Originally posted by ikayto
    Saw this on another forum.

Spoon has a magnetic drain plug and there are various companies that offer drain plugs that are magnetic. Here's a way to make your own using rare earth magnetic from hard drives and attaching them to your stock plug with some adhesive.

Magnet will look like this

Yes that's a Double D battery ;p

Or you can just go out and buy a super plug like this

But this diy is for ppl who dont want to spend $20+ on a bolt ha. Someone rated the earth metal magnetic, apparently it can take up to 8lbs lol.

http://www.superplug.com/home.html

The result, pic of a spoon plug

oh yeah and a magnetic filter sleeve

FilterMag's Neodymium magnets
    nice wilson, so i have to get a hard drive and get that magnet out?
    contact info

(562) 324-3639 chan mao

Comment

pretty much

Comment

pretty good write up but for all that trouble might as well just get one on ebay for like 15$ but thats just me.

Comment

good idea...ive been running one of those magnetic oil plugs...and it didnt really have much on it after 7k. My thought is that if you need one of these to collect metallic particles from your engine oil...you have much bigger problems.

"You've done more threatening prescription drugs..."
          "the character of a man can be judged by how he takes his criticism"
          "Quoting yourself is like, masturbation" -Starchland

Comment

HOLY DAMN SUPER PLUG!!! that...is awesome.

Toyota puts 3-4 thin mags in the tranny pan...those suckers always have crude on 'em. even on a new car with only 60k...

Not so sure about the filter one...guess it wouldn't interfere with the filter though since it'll actually hold it to the case. Never thought about that.

now...another question...should you really NEED this?
            ____

Comment

i think its a good idea. ive met guys that race there na monsters and he recomended this. dont kno bout the oil filter, but i think is a good i dea
              contact info

(562) 324-3639 chan mao

Comment

Originally posted by gdout90accord
                pretty good write up but for all that trouble might as well just get one on ebay for like 15$ but thats just me.
                the ebay ones are super weak from what the guys on team integra said

super plug is the way to go, this is for ppl who have spare hard drives like me ahah

Comment

the benefit for having a magnetic oil plug is that its a good prediction of the health of your engine. If you change the oil, and there are metal shavings, its an indication that something is wrong with your engine. I got mine from PO including the magnetic tranny plug for 16 shipped which is working out nicely, but I have still not put the tranny one on yet. The tranny one will just help by catching the shavings of a gear grind or something, which would never happen to me
                  Yeah, Preludes

Originally posted by deevergote.
                  Why can't people just search OT to see if someone else posted the same random thread?

Comment

Working...
                  X