EXT: Fog and driving lights.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

EXT: Fog and driving lights.

If there is a thread like this already, forgive me please. I had a newcomer PM me on how to do this, and figured there wasn't enough room in a PM to do it, and told them I'd post a DIY on the subject. Here goes...
    1. Figure out where you want to mount your fogs on your ride and do it.
    2. Next, run your ground wires (usually black...) to a bolt on the front of the car. It's a good idea to remove any paint from under the bolt so you get a good ground.
    3. After that comes the "hot" wires. (These can be Red or White usually...) Run the "hot" wires through a pre-existing hole in the fire wall to the inside of the car.
    4. Next, get a toggle switch of some sort, if your fog kit didn't come with one. Figure out where you want to mount it inside the car and do it.
    5. Run your "hot" wires to one side of your toggle switch, and run some extra wire from the other side of you switch to a "hot" fuse inside the fuse box. (Located on the driver's side kick panel under the dash...) It's a good idea to choose a fuse that is only "hot" when the ignition is on, that way if you forget to turn off your fogs, they will shut off when you turn off the ignition. An example of this kinda fuse is your radio fuse. But if you want, test each fuse with a test light with the ignition off, then re-test with the ignition on. Pick a fuse that only lit the test light with the ignition on. If you don't own a test light, you can pick one up from your local parts store or Wal*Mart for in the neighborhood of $5-$10.
    6. When runing your wires, hide them up under the dash so #1 they don't look like ass, and #2, you won't get you foot hung in them while driving! (Zip ties are a wonderful invention...!!! )
    That should pretty much do it. Now for a test run: Turn on your ignition, flip the switch, and you should have light! This should only take approx. 30 minuets, if you know what your doing. I have seen a moron do it in two hrs. ... Good luck, and enjoy your new lights!
    Nova: A star that suddenly increases it's light output tremendously and then fades away to its former obscurity in a few months or years.

Supernova: One of the rarely observed nova outbursts in which the maximum intrinsic luminosity may reach 100 million times that of the sun.

PICS??? They'd be helpful.
    O'skool fo sho! You might hate, but I been doin' this long before you know.

Comment

Pics in the future! Once I have means of posting them.
      Nova: A star that suddenly increases it's light output tremendously and then fades away to its former obscurity in a few months or years.

Supernova: One of the rarely observed nova outbursts in which the maximum intrinsic luminosity may reach 100 million times that of the sun.

Comment

Good write up, pretty clear. Im doin this soon get them pics especially of the inside fuse box part.

Comment

nice write up, but i think since this is a cb7 specific site, you should add specifically where you entered through the firewall since 1/2 of the time i tried wiring things, i spent on trying to figure out to go through the firewall. There are four ways i know you can do it:

1. The hole (covered by a grommet) above the ECU. pull back the carpet, locate ecu near the firewall, and look right above it for a black grommet.

2. for auto's, where the clutch cylinder would go, they have a block off plate, you can unbolt it there and run wires through, just make sure to add a grommet there so you don't cut up your wiring and cause a fire.

3. find some wires that go from the engine bay to the interior of the car. get a hanger, attach your wire on the hanger, and fish it through with the rest of the wires that go to the interior.

4. drill your own hole. just remember to use a grommet.
          BBB= Black Bumpered Beauty

MY MEMBERS RIDE PAGE

'98 Prelude (BB6) Type SH

Comment

Originally posted by cokinut
            nice write up, but i think since this is a cb7 specific site, you should add specifically where you entered through the firewall since 1/2 of the time i tried wiring things, i spent on trying to figure out to go through the firewall. There are four ways i know you can do it:

1. The hole (covered by a grommet) above the ECU. pull back the carpet, locate ecu near the firewall, and look right above it for a black grommet.

2. for auto's, where the clutch cylinder would go, they have a block off plate, you can unbolt it there and run wires through, just make sure to add a grommet there so you don't cut up your wiring and cause a fire.

3. find some wires that go from the engine bay to the interior of the car. get a hanger, attach your wire on the hanger, and fish it through with the rest of the wires that go to the interior.

4. drill your own hole. just remember to use a grommet.

Since I have an auto, I used #2. Real handy! For people w/ manuals, your ideas are great!

Comment

just tryin to help ya out yay for us auto's. at least we're good for something.
              BBB= Black Bumpered Beauty

MY MEMBERS RIDE PAGE

'98 Prelude (BB6) Type SH

Comment

Originally posted by cokinut
                just tryin to help ya out yay for us auto's. at least we're good for something.

Bump! Thankx for the help!

Comment

Working...
                X