Spoon Mirror Retrofit Version 2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Spoon Mirror Retrofit Version 2

Revision: See post #7 for info and pictures.

The passenger side mirror on my DX broke so I opted to go the custom route.

This is my modified approach to the tutorial created by ikayto (http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=169872). This is by no means a tutorial, simply a public documentation of the steps I took. If you choose to do the same it is at your own discretion and I'm not responsible for your actions.

I too, used the manual 94 Integra Spoon mirror replicas, but instead of cutting up the integra base I bought some M3 style mirror brackets made for the 90-93 Accord on eBay and used these as the base to attach my mirrrors. As it appears, the mirrors themselves are the same for all applications, it's just the base that changes based on the vehicle.

The M3 style mirror bracket

I lined up the top mirror mounting hole of the Integra bracket (driver's side to passenger side and vice versa) with the top mirror mounting hole of the M3 bracket and drilled the two bottom holes to match.

I had a friend with a laser cutter cut out some plastic sheet to fill the M3 bracket where the opening would show. I would have filled the entire opening but these fillers were made from scrap plastic and there weren't pieces large enough to fill the entire area.

Applied JB Kwik to stick the plastic insert into place and to fill the gaps. Once it was set I sanded everything down.

Three light coats of Valspar Satin Black. As it turned out, I couldn't use one of the mounting points because the bolt head would prevent proper installation on the door. I'm only using two M6x1.0 25mm bolts on each side to hold the mirrors to the bracket.

The finished product.

I know it's not completely unique from the ikayto's tutorial, rather it's an alternative approach. Just wanted to share with the community!

Peace.
    Last edited by apalileo; 01-22-2013, 01:09 PM.
    1993 Accord DX | Rosewood Brown Metallic

I think I might like this. Do you have any more pics of after the install?

Comment

Nice job. Looks great.
      "My FOR SALE thread - Click here"

MEMBERS RIDE

99 SILVERADO

WHEEL FLIP

Comment

Those look really good! Good job, moar pyks!

Comment

The quality of your work is excellent BTW.

Comment

Thanks for the kind words! I'll take more pictures tomorrow during the day and post them up tomorrow afternoon!

Comment

Sorry for the delay folks! There've been some revisions to this project that held up the photo-taking process. After a couple of days of use on the road and just looking at them on the car, I decided to make some changes to better satisfy this modification.

I decided to change the angle of the mirror housing on the mounting plate. My reasons were 1) I didn't like the way they protruded downward off the mounting bracket and 2) I didn't like that they were angled downward into the window trim. I also had a gripe with the quality of the mirror glass so I addressed that too.

After some prying I removed the original plastic inserts and replaced them with new ones that would accommodate a different mounting angle. (Note the added coverage toward the top)

...then paint as previously done.

I bought mirror glass from Pep Boys and cut them with a sandblaster to better fit the mirror housings. As you can see, the mirror glass in the replicas isn't exactly high quality stuff, it isn't cut nicely and the mirror surface is actually on the back side of the glass. These replacements are front reflective and I've got a flat mirror on the driver side and a convex on the passenger side for a more familiar reference on the road.

Now the mirror housing is actually mounted to two of the original holes in the mount intended for the M3 style mirror. This way the angle of the mirror when mounted on the car is much cleaner IMO. (You may not notice in these photos but the holes I drilled and the inside of the mirror housing where the third mounting bolt would go have been covered with matte black vinyl)

They sit quite parallel to the window trim, and while they do protrude into the window area a bit, this doesn't seem to have any negative effect overall.

So far I'm quite satisfied with the outcome of this project. It was a bit more than I had planned to do, but I feel it was well worth the extra attention.

Peace.
              Last edited by apalileo; 01-22-2013, 01:08 PM.

Comment

Freaking love this, great job

Comment

Thank you! This mod has been put to the weather test as it recently started raining out here in the Los Angeles area. The 3M double sided tape has held strong and I took an opportunity to take a couple quick rainy day shots.

One of these days the old tint has to go. It has been faded to purple and bubbling in some places since the day I got the Accord. Maybe a smoke replacement or none at all! One day...

Peace.

Comment

Originally posted by apalileo View Post

One of these days the old tint has to go. It has been faded to purple and bubbling in some places since the day I got the Accord. Maybe a smoke replacement or none at all! One day...

Peace.

Yes!! This is a kick ass mod. Subtle and Unique Good work.

My car also had faded tint when I purchased it, and for some reason it stunk to high heaven when I started peeling it back, gross.

If you do tint again, shop around. I found a shop that offers tint that claims will not fade purple, I forget what brand it is...Scotch or 3M.....or.....

Project:Black Skittle

AOM->April 2014

MRT->http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=199779

Comment

Working...
                    X