EXT: New Type of front grill

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

EXT: New Type of front grill

O.K. I decided to document what I was doing hope someone likes it. Before you say anything I know I need paint I wish my car was painted fresh maybe it would have done the grill more justice.

Materials
    1 original OEM honda grill (with original screws)
    1 strip of gutter guard
    1 vertical blind strip
    emblem not required
    wire cutters
    glue gun
    scissors
    hand saw
    paint (your preference)
    Last edited by uncle_el; 12-17-2005, 11:25 PM.
    Working N/A build up in progress

here is every thing layed out

First thing I had done is saw the black sorround just on the other side of the middle screw mount(right side as you are looking at it).You need this hole for later.

Comment

It should look like this when you are done.This is the top view note I kept the mounting holes.

The you go to work on the gutter guard. This peice will lay under the vertical blind about 3 mm from the edge, but first I had to bend and form the gutter guard.note some modifying and trimmind of the mesh will be required once every thing is peiced together.

This is one step closer a look at the 2 peices together(I had to use one screw to keep the peices together

Comment

This is what the vertical blind looks like when glued to the first two peices

Next is prime and paint.

The next picture is what it looks like when mounted from the top

You can see some of the trimming that I had to do to get this to fit properly other than that this went pretty smoothly.

Comment

O.K. end results. I know it aint great but it was something different to try I had fun with it. The pictures make it look dark and shiny thats just the camera flash it actually is flat black and looks pretty nice in the day and night. Once again dont mind the car paint it is getting repainted.
          http://img220.imageshack.us/img220/8...ouse0541ix.jpg
          http://img220.imageshack.us/img220/3...ouse0529dj.jpg
          http://img220.imageshack.us/img220/9...ouse0506yo.jpg

Comment

the grill is nice..but i say, take off the gutter guard, and just keep the original half of the grill showing instead of the gutter guard.

Comment

I was thinking about doing that first I mounted it that way to see what it looked like should have took pictures.

Comment

I dont mean to be rude but, I dont like it, it looks unbalanced and cheap to say the least.Good job on being different though!

Comment

cool. get a nice paintjob now

Comment

Sorry bro, but I think it looks stupid. I'm sure you can do better work. Half a grill just doesn't make sense.

If imitation is the best form of flattery............thanks for kissing my ass.

Comment

Originally posted by R33cb7
                      Sorry bro, but I think it looks stupid. I'm sure you can do better work. Half a grill just doesn't make sense.
                      X2..it really does not make sense. its taking away valuable air flow.....wich makes me ask........ why?

Comment

yeah you guys are right im taking it off I think I will just stick with the mesh DIY. I just figured that the air coming in through the front would not pass through the radiator on the side of my short ram intake with the hot air exchange and allow the Intake to pull the fresh air from the fenderwell better.(seeing that the hot air comes in through the front and goes out the bottom of the engine bay) That and my OEM grill was snaped right were I cut it any way. If it affected valuable air flow then why do integras front bumper and hood block this area. They seem to get there air from the bottom to, and they run just fine(did this mess with there valuable air flow). With the grill all exposed like the majority cb7 tuners are doing(not disrespecting this I happen to like it alot) wouldnt it be equivalent to driving down the road with a bucket facing the direction of travel this seems to increase drag in my mind(like a parachute). I feel a better increase in power too now at 4500-5500 now then before with the front exposed. (I am not saying that this stupid mod increases horsepower) Im just saying that now my car pulls better in the higher powerband range thats all.

Comment

very interesting. props for being creative. later.
                          Avoiding dirt at all costs

Comment

nice try

good try, but if you have a short ram intake, the negative pressure created by air whipping under your car ccauses stress, decreasing hp. to solve this I cut out the fog lights, inserted mesh and got a CAI. now on the freeway, I have positive pressure on my intake. if anything your bind is hurting flow into the comartment.... i think...

Comment

it looks ok...but it just looks unfinished

I ♥/Miss My Coupe

Comment

Working...
                              X