Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

EXT: A Complete USDM Black Housing DIY W/ PICS!!! (56K Be Warned!!!)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

it would be a wise idea to take off the old sealant, considering it's what 14-17 years old!?? yeah basically, buy a caulk gun and a tube of some house hold silicone. That's what i used and it doesn't leak one bit, none of that condensation or whatever either. When i did mine, i used a flathead screwdriver and went along the channel that the glass headlight cover goes into and scraped all the old sealant out. But you should do this when its pretty hot and liquidy, otherwise it'll harden again and you might crack the housing if too much force is applied. TRUST ME, do it when its hot, its so easy at this stage.
    Last edited by Losiracer2; 09-26-2007, 04:10 AM.

member's ride thread
    93' EX Coupe H22A w/ P2T4 Sir 5spd 191whp 155 wtq
    99' Lexus LS400 157k VVTi V8 gets up & goes...new DD
    91 Accord SE 176k
    97' Honda Odyssey 199k miles...$485 spare van for my parents

Comment

oh and before i did this, i bought a junkyard headlight and practiced on that, for trial and error or whatever. It was only 10 bucks and made my life a lot easier, because when it came time to do my real headlights, i didn't make any careless mistakes like i did on the practice one with spraying too much krylon stained glass and having it drip everywhere.

member's ride thread
      91 Accord SE 176k

Comment

Originally posted by Losiracer2
        oh and before i did this, i bought a junkyard headlight and practiced on that, for trial and error or whatever. It was only 10 bucks and made my life a lot easier, because when it came time to do my real headlights, i didn't make any careless mistakes like i did on the practice one with spraying too much krylon stained glass and having it drip everywhere.
        Thats actually what I did too. I went and bought another set of headlights that way I didnt ruin the ones on my car if I screwed up. Oh yeah I remember seeing a thread a while back about how to cut the nipples off the headlights and how to polish it up with a kit. That way you never know that they were even there. I tried to search but could not come up with anything. Anyone else seen this thread and maybe know where I can find it? And lastly, I was wondering uf anyone had ever painted the reflectors the body color of the car instead of black? What do you think? Arcadia green housing headlights?? Yes. no??
        Arcadia Green Crew Member #9

Comment

Bump

Comment

yeah one guy on here painted the housing a rosewood cinnamon or some reddish color to match, it looked good but didn't achieve that aggressive look that the black sure does. as for the nipple on the glass, idk if you should remove that, because wont that affect the structure of the glass by weaking it, since thats where they were probably molded from?

member's ride thread
            91 Accord SE 176k

Comment

I keep telling myself that I am going to do this.. I AM going to buy the paint tomorrow, maybe the paint sitting there staring at me will finally get me to do it. Which it just might, I should have access to the garage starting Sunday for a week and the weather is supposed to be nice all week.. Hopefully I will finally do this.. Later

Comment

yeah man! just do it. You'll feel wayy better after its completed. Your car will look better, people will compliment you and you'll have something to talk about at car meets and stuff. Plus I think it was a fun process, i mean who nowadays puts headlights in their oven? it'll take you probably 6 hrs if you're doing it for the first time, since masking takes the longest.

member's ride thread
                91 Accord SE 176k

Comment

A Tip for anyone else wanting to try this. The blue painters tape is too sticky. It pulled some of the chrome off with it.

Comment

i wanna do this so bad but im too scared i dont wanna mess up.

enV this!!!!

member ride thing

myspace

93accordSE video!

Comment

Originally posted by Hondatuner998
                      A Tip for anyone else wanting to try this. The blue painters tape is too sticky. It pulled some of the chrome off with it.
                      yeah what i did was i just went around the edges of the areas that needed to be masked instead of pressing it on across the whole surface, that way, when it comes time to remove, it wont put a lot of pressure on the part that is masked.

member's ride thread
                      91 Accord SE 176k

Comment

Ok So i think Im going to attempt to remove the nipples on my set of practice headlights to make it all smooth. I got a headlight restorer kit from autozone with some 800 and 1000 grift sandpaper. If it works out I may just try it on my good set. Wish me luck.

Comment

If you are going to attempt this DIY use the green edgers tape it won't pull off any of the chrome.

CB7Tuner Resident Gamer!
                          PSN: JDMcb7TX

Comment

Originally posted by JDM_CB7_TX
                            If you are going to attempt this DIY use the green edgers tape it won't pull off any of the chrome.
                            I just used some blue stuff we had, didn't press it on that hard
                            wat?

Comment

i'm gona do this soon i just need a new passenger lens and i will be good.

i'm doin green tint
                              back at it again

Comment

do the lights look yellow at night once u paint them?

Comment

Working...
                                X