INT : P12 Install

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

INT : P12 Install

Ok So I figured that it was time to do a DIY. What was missing was the P12 DIY so... here it is.

Disclaimer: First off let me say that I am not responsible for anything that you do to your car. Or yourself. All this is at your own risk. your mission should you choose to accept it will be on your own. This is simply a set of suggestions on how to install a P12 ECU into your car.

Things you will need:
    A P 12 ECU
    A Socket set with extended driver. I used a 6 inch extender
    A 10 or 12 mm deepwell socket- forgot which one.
    2 braincells to rub together

The ECU is easy to remove and takes about 30 min. This is a picture of the P12 ECU before installation. The second picture is to give you an idea how the ecu sits in the car under its protective cover.

1) First off you have to remove the door sil. This is the piece that run along the bottom of the door. This simply unsnaps from the car. I found it easiest to gently pry this off just with my fingers. Be carful not to break the clips. There are 3 of these.

2) After the door sil is removed its time to take off the interior kick panel. this has 3 clips again. Be carful to not damage these clips as this is how you will re attach this piece once it is time for reassembly.

3) Once the plastic is removed you can peel the carpet and padding back to get at the old ecu.

4) Once you have the carpet pulled back you can now begin to remove the 4 bolts that hold the metal cover in place over the stock ecu.

5) Once all the bolts are taken off and you can pull the cover off the studs. Do this slowly and carfully as to not rip out any wires.

6) At this time the ecu is still bolted on the underside of the metal cover and is still attached to wiring harness. There are 2 or 3 bolts that secure the stock ECU to the metal cover. I found it easiest to unclip the 3 wiring looms from the ecu. This will allow you to remove the entire piece form the car. (the metal cover and the ECU)

7) once the ecu plugs are removed take the cover with the ecu attached out of the car. Unbolt the remaining 2 or 3 bolts that keep the ecu on the cover.
    This is a picture of those ECU plugs

8) Now that you have the stock ecu removed from the protective plate you will notice that the pattern for the bolts is different on the P12 then on the stock ECU. Guess what the P12 will not bolt up the this plate, but that is not a big deal. When you re install the ECU and the protective plate the ecu will still be protected and out of harms way.

9) Plug the P12 back in, re- attach the plate, put your carpet back in place and secure the kick panel. After that put the sill plate back on, making sure all the snaps are secure and lastly enjoy!

If anyone has anything further to add to this please feel free!

I noticed a change in the car for sure. For the money and simplicity of the project you can't go wrong! Good luck!

Which ECU did you have in before and what kind of gains are you noticing with the p12?

KeepinItClean | EnviousFilms | NoBigDeal | YET2BSCENE | .· ` ' / ·. | click here.
    Originally posted by Jarrett
    Is there a goal you're trying to accomplish besides looking dope as hell?

Comment

Nice Write Up.
      RETIRED...

Comment

Greencb7inkc: I had the stock ecu for the 91 accord ex with a4 motor.

New Beginnings: Thanks Man!

Comment

I see you have a five speed. lol When I swapped my pt3 for the p12, I wondered what the automatic owners will do. The way it sits in there, it seems like the TCU will be in the way. (and yours is backwards, plugs go towards the console. I know it's just to demonstrate, but someone will say "I can't get mine in there the way you showed it. The harnesses are too short.")

I wrapped silicone tubing around my p12 a few times to keep it from vibrating or banging around under there. It also helps keep it from sliding back and forth and weakening the connections.

I know the p12 is supposed to be ten ponies, but, using my Beltronix accelerometer (it figures HP based on vehicle weight vs 1/4 mile time and trap speed) I showed a fifteen HP increase. I think the I/H helped it out a little. I went from a best of 17.4 @ 78.4 mph in the 1/4 to 16.7 @ 81.6 mph in a 3150 lb car with me and the ICE in it. 118 hp to 133 hp isn't bad for $58 shipped. I've got a full 60mm exhaust on it now, but no numbers to compare.

Comment

Thanks! That is definatly a good thing to point out that the 5 speed vs the Auto is different. As far as 10-15 horsepower, Hard to say without a dyno run, but It IS a noticable increase for sure. Like you said 58.00 is not bad even if it is only 5 hp.

Comment

Originally posted by topcop182 View Post
              Thanks! That is definatly a good thing to point out that the 5 speed vs the Auto is different. As far as 10-15 horsepower, Hard to say without a dyno run, but It IS a noticable increase for sure. Like you said 58.00 is not bad even if it is only 5 hp.

If you know your weight and 1/4 mile times, you can figure your HP.

http://www.ajdesigner.com/fl_horsepo...apsed_time.php

Weight includes everything in the car at the time for best accuracy.

I did notice that I run a little richer than I used to, and I need to adjust the IACV, she surges about 200 rpm up and down until she warms up, but I'm still averaging over 30mpg.

Comment

That is some good info!

Comment

Great writeup. You may want to reset your ecu if you haven't already done so.
                  "I'm a dude playing a dude, disguised as another dude"
                  "That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved."

Romans 10:9
                  ><((((º>

Comment

Oh yeah? never thought about that. What are the advantages of that? and just get a code reader and reset it at autozone?

Comment

Originally posted by bigjoegood1 View Post
                      Great writeup. You may want to reset your ecu if you haven't already done so.
                      ummm.... bigjoe? Wouldn't the fact that it just got replaced reset it? Can't get any more disconnected from power than out of the car.

Comment

i might sound like a moron but what car does the p12 come from?

im just wondering if it will do anything for my 93 se
                        93 SE F22A6

Comment

Originally posted by visualpoet View Post
                          ummm.... bigjoe? Wouldn't the fact that it just got replaced reset it? Can't get any more disconnected from power than out of the car.

Just a habit
                          "I'm a dude playing a dude, disguised as another dude"
                          "That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved."

Romans 10:9
                          ><((((º>

Comment

Originally posted by ancona46 View Post
                            i might sound like a moron but what car does the p12 come from?

im just wondering if it will do anything for my 93 se
                            P12 came from the prelude, same year as our cars. it will do something for your 93 it is worth getting!

Comment

Great DIY! is it just the same direct swapout for an auto tranmission?

Comment

Working...
                              X