INT: Black door panels

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

INT: Black door panels

I've seen a few people talking about going to an all black interior and im on my way there now. Most of us cant find the black leather seats we would like to have from the 90-91 accords, so weve got to improvise. Here is one mans improvisation at making the door panels black.

Materials needed:
    1)Vinyl and fabric paint-i choose black, wal mart and the auto stores also have tan, white, and a couple of others
    2)Masking tape
    3)Phillips screwdriver(for the door panel removal)
    4)Some sort of cleaner- i use acetone
    5)Fine grit sandpaper
    6)Patience and time
    7)Primer(optional-i didnt use it and mine turned out ok)
    8)Fabric glue-optional

Instructions:
    1)Remove the door panel-use your screwdriver, there are quite a ew screws in each door panel
    2)Clean the door panel with your cleaner
    3)Sand that door down
    4)Tape off what you dont want to be painted(for me it was the chrome door handle and the chrome powerlock switches up front, and also pop out the lights down on the bottoms.
    5)Use plastic primer here if you have it.
    6)Spray away-well, work slowly and surely. Do a couple of light coats a few minutes apart. Some spots of the door will be more reluctant to take to the paint. For these spaces i used some autmotive touch up paint and then let it dry and coated the doors again with a new layer with the vinyl and fabric paint.
    7)Get everywhere, all the cracks, crevices, the door lock itself(it screws off the metal piece its attached to.
    8)DONT FORGET to paint the buttons you pop out to get some of the screws out and that hold the door on
    9)Keep lightly coating it until you are the happy!
    10)put door panel back on and marvel at it, oh joy!
    11)I would have used clear coat of some sort but i couldnt find any for plastic sans the kind for models and i dont recommend it. I used a little bit of it and it made the doors really sticky and nasty and made everything stick to them. I ended up cleaning that stuff off and painting them a second time just so there wouldnt be a bunch opf little hair type things sticking to my door everywhere.

Recommendations:
    Take off everything you can when you have the door panel off. That is to say, take off the arme rest type thing and paint it separately so as to get all the cracks on it. Also, the bottom part of the door that you use for storage, take it off so that you can paint it and what it behind it without having to hold the can at a crazy angle and it running everywhere.

Variations:
    When i did this the first time, i just painted the fabric black and left the trim the tan color, and it looked alright and all, but i want all black and nothing but black, so i changed it. However, you can take the carpet off when you take off the pieces of the door panel and paint them a different color if you like the two tone approach as compared to the monotone black. Its your world, not mine, so do as you please. If you take off the fabric and paint it another color, just make sure that you use the fabric glue on it when you put it back on.

Also, i would suggest that anyone doing this be in it for the long hual as its not something that can easily, if at all be reversed. I like black and i always will, so i knew all black was right for me.

An advantage of the monotone color that i have is that if it ever chips of fades or anything, all i have to do is bust out the paint again and touch up where needed. with a different color fabric, this would be harder to do and require some masking off and more time. So, once again, think about it before you do it, but in the end, if done correctly, it will turn out pretty good.

If anyone has anymore questions or concerns just let me know, and btw, heres the finished product!
    2010 Taurus SHO - Livernois Goodies
    2002 BMW 330 CI Convertible - HUNK OF JUNK

And if anyone wants to know how, i have also done the center console-waiting to remove the e brake to do it, the door sills, and the two things around the pillars that hide where the seat belts come from thing(i dont know its name). They are pretty similiar and pretty simple to do as well.

Comment

ive got a question. i just started doing mine but im using a different kind of paint, im using krylons fusion plastic paint, it says it works on vinyl. i used it on the plastic moldings that hold the carpet down below the door and it worked absolutely beautifully, the problem is with that it dried fast so i used it on the armrest in the door panel in the rear passenger side, and i didt yesterday night about 9:30 cuz i had class this morning (where i am now using valuable visual basic time talking about my interior) but this morning it looked dry, and it dried for 10 hours, says it dry to the touch in one, which it was on the plastic, but it is still very sticky. has anyone used this paint, is it just needing to sit for a week before i touch it or is this just what the paint does on the vinyl???? anyone know, is the other vinyl and fabric paint sticky as well??? how long does it take to dry???

should i just strip the paint on the armrest and start over with the vinyl and fabric paint???

Comment

hey i am using the same paint... i never started yet... do i keep it or return it?????????????????

G l o w R i o u s R a c i n g
        P r o d u c t i o n s

Marcus/Founder/CEO of GlowRiousRacing

Comment

paint is only good on the headlinder and the dash.. it will stick to plastie but if u rub it with sumthing hard or with sumthing with a point it will peel off... and it doesnt last long..
          86 nissan 200sx turbo

Comment

i am havin the same problem with the fusion paint... it still wont dry and i sprayed it last night... patience i guess?

P r o d u c t i o n s

Comment

heres what ive leanred with this stuff. even it stays sticky for about a day or two, however, i havent had any problem with it coming off on the door panels. just take your time, sand it down, and when youve let it dry over night go over it with a damp wash cloth and try and get some of the sticky off. i dont know about the other type of paint because i am vinyl and fabric paint's bitch.
              also, the only problems ive really had with it are on the pillars and the door sill things that you step on. in these places it will come off if hit or scratched. however, if you sand it down and use primer first it seems to help out a bit with the scratch resistance.
              ill shut up now.

Comment

i did my center consol yesterday and i used trim paint...meant for the rubber trim on the outside and it wasnt sticky at all . now i have a black center consol...too bad my ebrake is still tan cus iuno how to get it off

Comment

lol i tryed just sum gloss black paint today.. works great.. doesnt come off.. not sticky shit.. all shiny and shit.. dry super fast tooo

bling bling
                  86 nissan 200sx turbo

Comment

Originally posted by Blk EX Coupe
                    i did my center consol yesterday and i used trim paint...meant for the rubber trim on the outside and it wasnt sticky at all . now i have a black center consol...too bad my ebrake is still tan cus iuno how to get it off
                    take out your seats, take out the cosole, and mask off the carpet, then paint the ebrake, its what i did.
                    bling!

Comment

took my back door panals off... sprayed them white and navy bblue to match the outside... ripped off the carpet and cleaned the vinyl and sprayed it navy blue and the outside trims are all white... looks pretty sick... now i gotta do the front... the back tray and speakers, the dashboard and all the other little things... then get my seats custom leather wrapped white with navy blue stitching

BLING BLING (hopefully) if it all works well

PS: the paint im using is fusion paint.. on the front it says NO SANDING OR PRIMAR NEEDED!!

:S i duno i didnt primar or sand anything
                      Hopefully it all works out

P r o d u c t i o n s

Comment

i couldnt paint the ebrake soo i left the rear ashtray unpainted to get that 2 tone look

Comment

that looks pimpin

P r o d u c t i o n s

Comment

can anyone give me good names of vinyal paint and where to get them because the FUsion paint im using is just scum... its sticky still and i whipped with a damp towel and its still daym sticky... piss me off i ruined my doors

P r o d u c t i o n s

Comment

i used duplicolor trim paint becuase i originally was going to paint the side moldings on my car but i didnt feel like going through the trouble to take em off so i used it for my center

Comment

Working...
                              X