INT: COMPLETE LED DASH - including all switches

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

INT: COMPLETE LED DASH - including all switches

I will edit this post when i finish writing the actual guide, but i finished my entire dashboard and took and edited pics... some are self explanitory but i will write the text later. this stupid conversion took me like an entirety of 2 days, figuring everything out... geez. youre welcome.

Previous Guage Cluster LED DIY: http://www.m1xe.com/pics/diyleds/index.html

CLIMATE CONTROL LED DIY - new! :::
    http://www.m1xe.com/pics/diyleds/OTHER/index.html

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

NOTICE: ALL LEDS that i used were 3mm super blue ones... i sanded the tops of ALL of them to be flat and rippled to make a softer, more even output.... i DEFINATELY suggest u do the same. u will have bright hotspots all over if u dont. also i used all 560 ohm resistors (green blue brown and gold=5% tolerance) .25 watt resistors (besides the dimmer knob- that was an old .5 watt, no reason for it, it was just the first one i found). the LED's i used were from LSDIODES.COM and the resistors i already had... can be bought at radio shack.

GOOD SOURCES FOR LEDs:
    - superbrightleds.com
    - autolumination.com
    - ebay.com
    - digikey.com

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

CRUISE CONTROL BUTTON

replace peanut bulbs w/ 2 LEDs (shown below)
    in the pic, the bulb closest to the camera has + on the right (against the black plastic plug housing)... the other one is opposite.
    1. unclip back by undoing 4 clips
    2. pull circuit board out by the pins- pull hard, its clipped in
    3. push tabs to remove the actual button
    4. unclip button cap from base to get to #5
    5. replace green plastic w/ strip of blue.

SMALL PEANUT LEDS

unwrap bulb from base, install LED as shown. used in the cruise control, and same idea is used for other ones too.

LIGHT DIMMER KNOB

i misnumbered 3 and 4 - they are swapped.
    1. remove grey-based peanut bulb
    2. shave/sand top of LED flat
    4(should be 3). drill hole behind faceplate and glue LED into it
    3(should be 4). wire up LED and resistor and solder to old bulb spot

REAR DEFROST BUTTON

the indicator light LED on this button keeps blowing for me... gotta redo it and find out why and ill edit this post.
    replace bulb in back of button w/ LED as shown in drawing (same as peanut LED just longer)

DASH CLOCK

**** CORRECTION: COLOR OVER THE GLASS DISPLAY WITH A BLUE SHARPIE MARKER... it looks better than using the plastic layer!! ****
    Last edited by cp[mike]; 02-23-2012, 12:43 PM. Reason: m1xe

- 1993 Accord LX - White sedan (sold)
    - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (wrecked)
    - 1991 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
    - 1990 Accord EX - Grey sedan (sold)
    - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
    - 1992 Accord EX - White coupe (sold)
    - 1993 Accord EX - Grey coupe (stolen)
    - 1993 Accord SE - Gold coupe (sold)
    Current cars:
    - 2005 Subaru Legacy GT Wagon - Daily driver
    - 2004 Chevrolet Express AWD - Camper conversion

very impressive, i was thinking about doing the same thing this morning lol, i bought some of those headlight flashers off ebay to add to my clear corners for the alarm, ill post some pics later, but they are bright as hell, so i decided im gonna put them in my vents and under my dash and solder the whole thing myself, instead of buying all the neon lights, winter is coming so its a great project for the interior, i bid on 20 blue resistors on ebay for like $4.50 what a deal, but ill let you know how mine goes...

Comment

Very nice writeup... I beleive you got the inspiration from Cryogen97(from the top of the first link. His website is: http://www.andrews.edu/~johnsonm/

Anyways, cant wait to see the rest of it for the AC part. I am thinking about doing either all blue or red. Thinking red just to be a little different but I guess we will see.

But Thanks again for the writeup.. it'll be nice to have when I try to tackle the project.

Comment

wow looks like fun!.. errr dont think i'll be doing that anytime soon!

Originally posted by f22-dohc

fuk man, i'll get my beaver after u. u'll never find me in my igloo... its camaflauged in the arctic!!

Comment

Nice job that shit looks hard to do fuck it ill pay you to do it for me.

Comment

u know what im starting to consider... have people send me their stock switches/climate control + money, and ill send them out my blued ones, then ill repeat the process... practically no downtime for people.

edit: added to end of first post
            Last edited by cp[mike]; 12-02-2003, 12:53 PM.

Current cars:

Comment

sure you havent really thought about it much, but how much would it be about total w/shipping of them? I would be interested... prolly more towards december/january though

Comment

was your clock a little tough to take out? i tried takin mine out the other day, and it feels like im gona brake something....dont want to fuck up my dash or anything.......
                H22 Prelude VTEC 92-96 200 161 10.6:1 87 90 DOHC VTEC 2157 JDM

190.3whp 155 wtq - with bolt ons, and a dc header

ET=14.457 @ 94mph w/ 2.173 60Fter

Comment

nice. I did my climate control a long time ago but I only did the top parts in blue led and the rest I made amber with just regular bulbs. always thought about doing the rest but now I have a different climate control and I think im just going to keep it all stock. good write up.
                  HSHO #3

Comment

i really dont know how much i would have to charge, gotta figure that part out.

about the clock, u gotta pry it out far until it unclips itself, pulling hard wont really break it- the connector is stuck behind the dash on the right so its easier to pull the left side all the way out first.

Current cars:

Comment

hey mike what size resistors should i use with my LED's if i wanna put them under my dash they are rated for 3.3v, i wanna keep em as bright as possible without burning them out, im gonna get started this week with all the soldering and i should be done by the end of tis week so ill post pics too....

Comment

Hay how did you make the knobs of the cruise light up like that? Mine are hardly visable and I'd love to make them look like that. I don't care for making everything else blue but that has peaked my intrest.
                        My unupdate website Speedworx-online.com, lol. <click here>.

Comment

hey when do u think u will have the DIY for the CC ?

Comment

kingsblend - ive been using 560ohm's for everything on the dash, besides the guage cluster- i still havent been able to redo that w/ LEDs yet. usually 470's are used in other guides but the voltage can get up to like 14v and i didnt want my LEDs to fry, so i used 560's.

busted-

used a bit of foam tape to hold the LED to the bottom of the knob then superglued it in place. shave the top of the 3mm LED so its even. when u take the knob off theres that blue plastic ring, take that out and run the wire thru where it used to be i peeled up the black plastic layer w/ the printing on it to get to the white plastic frame below... went slow w/ a small screwdriver. once thats off u can pull the white part out and find a place to run the wires thru to the other side and hook them up to that lone bulb sticking out of the back.

blue circle is where i hooked up one knob and yellow circle is where i hooked up the other. make sure u use a 560ohm resistor.

92jr- i forgot i still had to do it :-p ill do it asap.
                            well, thats the last 3 of the 12 CC pics
                            Last edited by cp[mike]; 11-11-2003, 10:06 AM.

Current cars:

Comment

hey mike and everyone i finally had time to take some pics of my underdash and underseat blue LED circuit lights i took the pics in the light but u can still see the blue it is very bright and i got a video too that shows me cruisin and the blue shinin, my mom didnt do a very good job of recording but oh well u can tell cuz my shoes look blue....

okay i dont know how to put the video on here can someone lighten me on dis subject???
                              Last edited by kings_blend; 12-01-2003, 12:13 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X