INT:Automatic to Manual Shift Knob Conversion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

INT:Automatic to Manual Shift Knob Conversion

Alright guys this is a DIY on how to put an OEM manual shift knob on and OEM automatic. this DIY is just for looks and not to imitate a manual of any sort only cosmetic

and i know there's other DIY's of something similar but this is for OEM's with more detail and pictures!

People with the Sports button you can just wire it up to a switch of some sort and mount it somewhere else.

Disclaimer: whatever you do, you do it to your own accord. i will not be responsible if u break/mess anything on your car or get hurt. now that i've told you lets get started!

Tools needed: Phillips Screw Driver

Materials: OEM Honda Accord/Prelude Shift Boot and Knob. not sure about other models. but i know these work for sure.

First this is what you start off with

now either stick your key into 2nd position in the ignition or stick your key into the shift lock release and pull your e-brake up and move your shifter to Neutral (N) position.

and then you would want to go to the back of your car *if it's a coupe, i'm not sure about sedans* and remove these screws. there are one on each side

after you get those screws off there are 4 more to remove up front in the center console, again there are 2 on each side

once you have all of the 6 screws removed, pull back the lower center console off of the front center console and go ahead and remove the front center console. there is a piece of adhesive foam piece stuck onto the back side. you won't need this because it would intrude with the shift boot.

so now it should look something like this at this point.

now it's time to remove the old shifter off by removing another 2 screws located on each side of the shifter

now carefully take off the shifter and it should look like this. be careful not to lose any of the springs or screws if your planning to keep all of these parts just in case you want it back to stock.

here's what it should look like with the shifter off.

make sure to tape down the white piece at the top of the outer piece of the rod so it will engage in and out of park.

now go ahead and put the shift boot and knob over the rod. make sure it's straight

now put back your center console and screw it back in. you might need a friends help pushing down the center console to get the screws aligned because of the boot being a little bigger but it's no problem.

here's the finish product in park

in Neutral

enjoy the OEM look

oh i forgot if you want to shift in and out of the gears push down on it :P

if you have any questions send me a PM
    Last edited by vietkid_2006; 01-22-2009, 10:51 PM.

Yes my name is Dang, Don't use in vain
    1992 Honda Accord EX (Coupe/Bordeaux/Auto)
    1992 Honda Accord EX (Coupe/Bordeaux/H22A MT)
    2008 Honda Accord EXL (Coupe/SanMarino/6spd)

is there anyway you can cut it down to make it look like a short shifter and still have the option to push down to get into gear? PEACE

MY MEMBERS RIDE THREAD

Comment

Originally posted by LowNknoxville View Post
      is there anyway you can cut it down to make it look like a short shifter and still have the option to push down to get into gear? PEACE
      you can use a pipe cutter and cut it down.

http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=68218

you can do it like what he did. but it's not an OEM one. but it still works the same. just with the OEM one the shift boot stays with the shift knob.

i made the DIY for my pictures and info. FYI
      Last edited by vietkid_2006; 01-16-2009, 06:31 PM.

Comment

this should be added to the other thread thats been around for a verry long time. so we don't have tons of the same DIY's
        "Self Renewed"

Comment

I kinda hate to say it but this is on a verge of rice.

rice-trying to make something its not.
          wat?

Comment

Originally posted by C91BLX7 View Post

it may be but it looks thousand times better than having that autotragic stick sticking up thru there.

did it to mine and it fooled everyone. but it looked better tho.

Comment

Originally posted by C91BLX7 View Post

all in the eye of the beholder.

Comment

So just push down on the shifter to change gears?
                Pretty cool.

Comment

Originally posted by Shadow1 View Post
                  it may be but it looks thousand times better than having that autotragic stick sticking up thru there.

did it to mine and it fooled everyone. but it looked better tho.
                  thats how mine looks, i never did it with the mindset to fool anybody. just did it cause it looks alot cleaner an sportier than the stock one
                  UNDERGROUND SOCIETY
                  NEW COUPE MEMBERS RIDE THREAD COMMING SOON

Comment

looks like the height of the shifter is stretching that boot out uncomfortably.

i, as with others, don't see the point in this mod. i'd think it'd be a bit more practical to swap the auto knob with another auto knob. that is, if the original knob is giving you trouble.

Shadow1, looks like your cup holder has seen better days.
                    My pictures/photos will return soon...

Comment

Originally posted by joshnrosen View Post
                      looks like the height of the shifter is stretching that boot out uncomfortably.

i, as with others, don't see the point in this mod. i'd think it'd be a bit more practical to swap the auto knob with another auto knob. that is, if the original knob is giving you trouble.

Shadow1, looks like your cup holder has seen better days.

the point of the mod is to give the interior a cleaner look. not fool anyone into thinking you have a 5spd. if someone is fooled by it, that their stupidity. but it makes it worse if your the one who tells them it is. some people do swap an auto knob back on there. but its all about preference. it's their car. their money.

as far as the cup holder. um....yeah. i ripped it out. it didnt want to stay in. lmao. so i just used my seat and the e-brake as a cup holder. worked wonders

Comment

Oooooo I wanna do that

Comment

I will admit, having an AT short shifter does LOOK pretty cool, but yeah, the idea can only go so far. If you really wanna fool ppl swap in a MT brake and fake clutch.

Shit you could probably find a way to weld bot pedals and hide it up in the dash and make them both the brake pedal.

KeepinItClean | EnviousFilms | NoBigDeal | YET2BSCENE | .· ` ' / ·. | click here.
                          Originally posted by Jarrett
                          Is there a goal you're trying to accomplish besides looking dope as hell?

Comment

OMG!!!!! the point of the mod is to not fool people. its to give the interior a sporty look, hell doesnt grand am autos have boots...........there are quite a few more others also, really doesnt matter in the end lol so whatever
                            UNDERGROUND SOCIETY
                            NEW COUPE MEMBERS RIDE THREAD COMMING SOON

Comment

I hate that when you manu-shift the auto you go forward, some times I get caught up I try to pull the shifter back to go to second.
                              wat?

Comment

Working...
                              X