Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

INT: diy short throw shifter

this is for manual drivers, maybe automatics drivers can do this for looks

so i thought my shifter was sitting high , i decided to trim about 2.5 inc of the shifter rod to get a lower profile look and maybe improve shifting gears.

tools -
    - pipe cutters (if you have some, use a Pneumatic cut off tool, much faster, i didnt have any
    - screw driver
    - a rag, you will need one

step one, remove all bolts on side of center console...

step two , now remove you shift knob, in this case, it was removing 3 Allen screws...

step three, pull out the center console towards you and move it out of the way.

see how long it is , i feel like i am driving a truck

step four, get you pipe cutters or grinder and select how much you want to trim off, i did about 2 1/2 inches.

now if you have a cut off too available , USE IT, you be done much quicker, and i mean a lot faster.

step five
    with the pipe cutters, twist the knob as tight as you can, now start turning the pipe cutters in a rotating direction, every few rotations you need to turn the knob tighter, this how you know it is working and cutting. as you tighten the knob more, its starts to get harder to turn, this is when that rag comes in play, wrap it around the knob and turn , it tends to be easier.

As for me , i just used a larger pipe cutter that had a leverage handle to finish the job

the total time of me cutting with pipe cutters was around 20 minutes, this is why i recommend using cut off tool, b/c you cut it off in under a minute.

this is what it looks like in two( giving you a height comparison ) , you can get rid of the piece you just snipped, you wont need it

test fit your stance, if you like it , reinstall everything in visa versa, if not trim a little more if you wish then reinstall

BEFORE the trim

AFTER - the finished product

BTW , this was my first write up
    Last edited by ibr_adam09; 01-26-2009, 02:37 AM.

-1992 CB7 EX w/H22 [sold 10/09]
    -2005 Legacy GT limited [current]

Man, your shifter looks like it's been in someone's ass.

Back on topic, I think I'd be afraid of the knob falling off while driving and accidentally slashing my wrist on the exposed metal.

Comment

wtf is that shifter, ive never seen one like that in a cb7.

smoke tires, not drugs.

Comment

Originally posted by mj213 View Post
        Man, your shifter looks like it's been in someone's ass.

Back on topic, I think I'd be afraid of the knob falling off while driving and accidentally slashing my wrist on the exposed metal.
        "thanks " for the comment

the shifter isn't gonna fall off, it sits snugly just like it would before

Comment

Originally posted by slammed4thgen View Post
          wtf is that shifter, ive never seen one like that in a cb7.
          its off a 01' prelude

Comment

awesome, but you know that isnt really a short throw shifter?

you just shortend the height

smoke tires, not drugs.

Comment

Why do you have that shifter in your car in the first place? lol.

Comment

Not bad for an appearance mod. And there is a little less travel when you shift. The write up was excellent, nice use of pics as well!

Now for the not so complimentary comments; you just ruined your pipe cutters. Those blades aren't meant to cut steel, so the blades are now dulled and chipped (I can see the chips in the pictures) and won't make clean cuts on copper again. Also, the shifter in the cb7 (as opposed to the straight shaft Prelude shifter you have) is tapered at the threads (mine was at least), and if you cut the threads off, you'll need an aftermarket knob as the OEM won't fit over the larger shaft. It also wouldn't hurt to take a metal file and file off the rough edges and the burr, so there's less chance of getting cut if the knob should inadvertantly come off.

Comment

why not go for a forbidden one, its worth every penny

Comment

Originally posted by h22anow View Post
                    why not go for a forbidden one, its worth every penny
                    d.i.y

thats why

smoke tires, not drugs.

Comment

I swear by yeamans17's shifter. It's not a shorter distance, just a little bit as far as throw, but my height is super low.

Follow me on IG: @jdm_inspired

93 'til infinity

Comment

Originally posted by ibr_adam09 View Post

I see overspray from black rattle can specials. Use simple green to get rid of it. Trust me, I used to deal with rattle cans a lot a year or two back.

Follow me on IG: @jdm_inspired

93 'til infinity

Comment

Originally posted by jdm_inspired View Post
                          I see overspray from black rattle can specials. Use simple green to get rid of it. Trust me, I used to deal with rattle cans a lot a year or two back.
                          thanks for the tip, the masking tape didnt hold well

Comment

Originally posted by visualpoet View Post
                            Not bad for an appearance mod. And there is a little less travel when you shift. The write up was excellent, nice use of pics as well!

Now for the not so complimentary comments; you just ruined your pipe cutters. Those blades aren't meant to cut steel, so the blades are now dulled and chipped (I can see the chips in the pictures) and won't make clean cuts on copper again. Also, the shifter in the cb7 (as opposed to the straight shaft Prelude shifter you have) is tapered at the threads (mine was at least), and if you cut the threads off, you'll need an aftermarket knob as the OEM won't fit over the larger shaft. It also wouldn't hurt to take a metal file and file off the rough edges and the burr, so there's less chance of getting cut if the knob should inadvertently come off.
                            thanks for the complements,
                            pipe cutters were the only thing i had available, the large one already had chips in it,but didnt really effect me , i probably never need them again , oh wait i take that back .

i should add that metal filing tip , to reduce injury to someone if such occurs, thanks for the added info

Comment

Nice right up i did this along time ago to my old CB when i was young the only thing is you cant use any oem knobs or ones that screw on but either way nice right up

^^MY OLD RIDE
                              http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...91#post3052591 <<**CURRENT DA9 BUILD**

Comment

Working...
                              X